cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circular Polarized Lenses - God Rays no longer.

oOunknownuserOo
Expert Protege
So for sh*ts and giggles I decided to place a couple of my drones circular polarized lenses over the CV1 and night and day difference,  the god rays disappeared.

I tried a couple filters ND8/CP

and graduated ND16-8

The only thing with circular polarized lenses is that as you turn them you either have more light enter in, or you cut more out.    

These filters are godsend when shooting aerial photography with drones and you have sun flare,  

question is how could we mount them??
62 REPLIES 62

LZoltowski
Champion

Would also be nice to have an amber tented lens option for less eye strain,  what has been everyone's experience using Gunnar eyeware and the like when using the Rift?  Is there a frame from Gunnars that has an ideal for VR use?

I wear glasses and all of them have a special coating that reduces blue light coming into the eye to help with eye strain. It helps.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

FingerMcPokeye
Heroic Explorer
BTW my diagram is wrong.  The yellow beams that get reflected will in turn get refracted a moment later when they too pass through the glass.  They'll retain their polarization though.

I go along with that.

The unwanted light rays are rays that are both reflected and refracted... they're reflected off the surface of the groove and onto the next groove where they're either reflected again of refracted, and so on. So if anything they'll be radially polorised about the lens centre by the time they pass though the lens to the eye, as per the light from the source which is reflected.

Again, a filter won't filter these out... or if it does, it'll only be the ones that are perpendicular to the filter axis, leaving the rest to be unaffected

LZoltowski
Champion
By Jobe I solved it ... all you need is a pair of rose tinted glasses ... might not fix your flares, but now they will be FABULOUS pink Elton John style

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

FingerMcPokeye
Heroic Explorer
They'll be linearly polarized but the important bit is they are polarized.

Because they're linearly polarized but in a circular pattern (not the same as circular polarization), if you use a linear polarizer in front of them it will only help with god rays in sort of a "bowtie" pattern.

But... if you put a circular polarizer in front of them it should block nearly all of the linearly polarized light.

Here's a cool example.  Light hitting the water is linearly polarized but the sky is unpolarized.  It's passing through a circular polarization filter..

3s15923ql58x.jpg

That's what I mean by circular and linear polarising filters both doing the same thing in what the block... The circ filter just adds a layer that circulates the filtered light. So I'm back to my initial observation that me linear filter didn't appear to make a difference to the light rays. It's possible there was a bow tie improvement but if so, it was a very narrow bow tie! 

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Well Unknown user has said several times his God rays were bad on his unit, compared to other Rift owners. perhaps that have something to do with the fact that you don't see much difference, but he does?

I'll try and take photos of my unit, the difference that a filter makes should be the same in terms of percentage improvement, I think this goes back to what @LZoltowski said and the improvement was down to the overall dimming effect of the filter, rather than the filter itself

Mace404
Heroic Explorer
Indeed, brightness/dimming does allot. When watching a movie trough the Rift with white subtitles the rays are very noticeable on the text. Just switching color of the subs to light grey makes the rays disappear.
(from FFFFFF to EEEEEE / 7,5% is more than enough already to not see them anymore.)

I think when they give us brightness and/or gamma control for the screens allot will be pleased already.

LZoltowski
Champion
I think a 7.5% drop in brightness isnt that bad, your eyes adjust to relative brightness anyway pretty quickly and you tend to forget about it. 

Be kind to one another 🙂