cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Oculus say sorry to it's loyal customers and backers by means of compensation?

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Just an idea because a lot of people seem unhappy on the forums and other companies have apologized this way before too. Like Sony with their PlayStation. 

I think it would be a good idea if they gave discounts or 1-2 free games to everyone who pre-ordered in the first month. It could work something like this. But this is just an idea. It could work other ways too, such as discounted Touch Controllers for everyone that pre-ordered within the first month or two.

I read these forums every single day and I see a lot of unhappy people. I read peoples comments on Reddit and Facebook and else where too and so it just seems right that they should offer some kind of compensation to their loyal customers and backers to apologize for all their mistakes.

I think this would go a long way. Once everyone is gaming with their Rift I reckon everyone will be happy and half way ready to forgive Oculus for their mistakes, but to ensure that everything is forgiven and forgotten I think this extra effort on their part would go a long way in redeeming customer confidence and keeping loyal backers keen to purchase future products & software from Oculus.

Whats everyone else's thought on this?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
70 REPLIES 70

Hanover
Rising Star
I'm wondering if this is the first bleeding edge, first generation product many people demanding compensation have ever pre-ordered...

JED44
Rising Star
@Felixm477 so the not telling us free shipping would be downgraded until after the fact and not giving us the option to pay for expedited shipping is the best they can do? I don't think any rational person would say that they are doing their best when there are still issues like this happening becuase they either neglect to tell us important information or outright decide not to until they have to.
An apology also implies you've learned from and won't repeat the same mistakes again. Which I wish were the case with oculus Edit- please remember this a company, particularly a company that was bought by Facebook, we're not talking about a kickstarter project anymore. When youre a company or work for a company, there are standards and you are held to a certain level of expectation for how you conduct business and treat clients. A company is supposed to be professional, if there are mistakes or issues , you own up to it and fix it or mitigate it and make sure it doesn't happen in the future. this is anything but professional .

RirtualVeality
Adventurer

That would require oculus to actually care about its customers.  I have yet to see them do anything that remotely shows that they care.

You mean besides giving free shipping to its customers and free Rifts to the Kickstarter backers?

Hedgy
Protege
No they shouldn't, Tesco delivered my shopping late last week but I didn't ring them up and demand free milk. No offence to the OP as I'm replying to a few threads along the same lines here but some people have wound themselves up to the point where their Oculus order has become life or death.

It's a toy, so is the Vive. They're really good toys but still just toys. Think how you tut at the TV when you see people going crazy over some Christmas fad.

Let's keep some perspective, we're on the bleeding edge and stuff happens when you live out here.

greeneblitz
Expert Protege
If companies "gave away" stuff because people whine on internet forums they'd be broke.

Felixm477
Expert Protege

JED44 said:

@Felixm477 so the not telling us free shipping would be downgraded until after the fact and not giving us the option to pay for expedited shipping is the best they can do? I don't think any rational person would say that they are doing their best when there are still issues like this happening becuase they either neglect to tell us important information or outright decide not to until they have to.

An apology also implies you've learned from and won't repeat the same mistakes again. Which I wish were the case with oculus

well considering the 50 in shipping i was going to pay was mandatory and i got it taken off for what a whole 2-3 days longer? I say i am fine with it. What else do you want to argue with them about, Oculus will clearly not be phased by you so why are you here and why are you giving them your money?

JED44
Rising Star
@Felixm477 I'm glad that you are ok being kept in the dark and misinformed cuase you end up saving a few bucks. But a majority of us actually care about being lied to and not being given information or options for a $600 purchase. Down to it I want rift cv1; but that doesn't mean I have to agree with or endorse oculus or what they have done. and I've resigned myself to waiting , I'm really not all that excited for it anymore. Not like I originally was. Additionally. I'm not arguing. I'm merely stating what oculus has done, and how it negatively affected many preorder customers. Oculus may not be phased by me, but come gen 2 when there are more competitors for cv2, you can bet people are going to remember how oculus treated them during this launch and chose to invest elsewhere. You can also bet that many people aren't going to give oculus money through their home service either. So think of it as +1 for later on :smile:

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Felixm477 said:

JED44 said:

An apology also implies you've learned from and won't repeat the same mistakes again. Which I wish were the case with oculus

well considering the 50 in shipping i was going to pay was mandatory and i got it taken off for what a whole 2-3 days longer? I say i am fine with it. What else do you want to argue with them about, Oculus will clearly not be phased by you so why are you here and why are you giving them your money?

Well for example, the best way to highlight the evils of a car company is by playing in traffic. It is known. And that is why he is here 😮

JED44
Rising Star
@Zenbane it also helps when the drivers are wearing blindfolds and not actually paying attention to the road signs :wink:

Percy1983
Superstar
I can't remember Oculus ever promising me next day delivery.

As it is I was expecting to pay £30 for shipping of some sort and got free shipping of some sort.

I will say I do now have my rift but I can genuinely say my opinion didn't have before or after I got mine.

ie, I was told there was a delay... no problem I will just get on with.. you know... life...

I was told it shipping on a Thursday, I didn't get it until Tuesday due to a bank holiday, oh well It was a nice weekend with and extra day off work... I had fun rather than sitting at home mashing F5 expecting a different result each time.

They do say that is a sign of insanity, trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Maybe I am just too laid back, or maybe there is more to my life than rift ownership...
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w