cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Oculus say sorry to it's loyal customers and backers by means of compensation?

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Just an idea because a lot of people seem unhappy on the forums and other companies have apologized this way before too. Like Sony with their PlayStation. 

I think it would be a good idea if they gave discounts or 1-2 free games to everyone who pre-ordered in the first month. It could work something like this. But this is just an idea. It could work other ways too, such as discounted Touch Controllers for everyone that pre-ordered within the first month or two.

I read these forums every single day and I see a lot of unhappy people. I read peoples comments on Reddit and Facebook and else where too and so it just seems right that they should offer some kind of compensation to their loyal customers and backers to apologize for all their mistakes.

I think this would go a long way. Once everyone is gaming with their Rift I reckon everyone will be happy and half way ready to forgive Oculus for their mistakes, but to ensure that everything is forgiven and forgotten I think this extra effort on their part would go a long way in redeeming customer confidence and keeping loyal backers keen to purchase future products & software from Oculus.

Whats everyone else's thought on this?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
70 REPLIES 70

Buckets
Protege
They've already done enough, free shipping saving you what? $40? 3 free games, free Rifts to backers... Give them a break. No more free stuff for you. 

Zandil
Rising Star
I say they should add back the shipping cost to customers with orders still outstanding  😉

blanes
Rising Star
I would prefer - Honesty.  Integrity.  Truth & willingness to admit really major problems.  True story - a guy here in aussie ordered on 21st April and his Rift was delivered couple weeks later - inventory & ordering system gone berserk or simple incompetence ?  No comment from the company on such things, so how does that build any confidence at all for the rest of us !  

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Buckets said:

They've already done enough, free shipping saving you what? $40? 3 free games, free Rifts to backers... Give them a break. No more free stuff for you. 

They went as far as to fill out an online order form and create a forum Avatar; the sacrifice is evident 😘

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
Some people in this thread must have been charged at the point of ordering I guess, instead of being charged when the unit shipped. 

Somebody in this post even said "We agreed free shipping"
Wow, I don't remember having that conversation with my Oculus Account Manager?

The only thing we agreed was: Oculus would try to get a Rift in my hands as soon as possible and if they did, I would pay for it. 

That's it, that is the complete extent of any pre-orderers contract with Oculus. 

They ship you a unit, you pay for it. 

It's not complicated, you are entitled to be disappointed, you are entitled to choose to cancel your order because patience is hard, you are entitled even to come the company's forum and cry a river. 

You are not entitled to ridiculous compensation because you had to wait a few weeks longer. 

It's sad that you have to sit in front of your window waiting for your toys to be delivered while you can see the kid next door playing with his toys but please take a single step backwards and realise: 

If waiting for your Rift is the thing that causes you the most stress and anger in your life, your llfe is better than that of 99% of humans on this planet.

Oculus isn't cheating you, they're not ripping you off, this isn't a grand conspiracy against you personally. 

Hanover
Rising Star
The reason why they probably dropped expedited shipping is because they are delivering the Rifts directly to the major UPS hub in the US.  That hub is generally within a couple of shipping days or less from where most people live.  I'm sure when they hired that new logistics guy, the first thing he noticed was that they were wasting money on expedited shipping.  It's like paying overnight shipping to a company that's 50 miles down the road.

It's even more of a waste to ship it that way on a Friday.  

Anonymous
Not applicable
Kickstarter backers already got a DK1 and now they have a free Rift.

Pre orders: you haven't paid for anything. So, the answer is no. Oculus doesn't owe anyone compensation.

Edit: and they've already given free shipping...

bubsnews
Protege
Certainly, Oculus doesn't have to do anything for their customers, I think they've proven that point.  Now SHOULD they provide some sort of compensation, that is another question.  It all depends on how Oculus looks at the future.  It all depends on what they think of their customers.  If they think of 'us' as a dime a dozen or let them eat cake (which to be honest is how I feel they view us), then why waste the time and energy.

However, if they view 'us' as a valuable asset, they they should own up to their responsibility in this fiasco of a roll out and consider something to make amends.  The good will garnered by such a move, could easily be quantified.  Many other companies compensate their customers for a bad customer experience.  But, considering Oculus' decisions so far, I will not be holding my breath.

I'm a xx330xxx order, tried to get in as soon as servers opened, took me over an hour to get my order in, although I was not trying every minute of that hour.  I don't appreciate the $650 price without controllers, I don't appreciate Oculus taking away expedited shipping, I don't like retail outlets getting product before my pre-order, I don't like Kickstarter backers still not getting their free Rift, the list seemingly is long for such a short period of time.

I can't see the downside for Oculus/Facebook offering something as compensation.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Some people in this thread must have been charged at the point of ordering I guess, instead of being charged when the unit shipped. 

Somebody in this post even said "We agreed free shipping"
Wow, I don't remember having that conversation with my Oculus Account Manager?

The only thing we agreed was: Oculus would try to get a Rift in my hands as soon as possible and if they did, I would pay for it. 

That's it, that is the complete extent of any pre-orderers contract with Oculus. 

They ship you a unit, you pay for it. 

It's not complicated, you are entitled to be disappointed, you are entitled to choose to cancel your order because patience is hard, you are entitled even to come the company's forum and cry a river. 

You are not entitled to ridiculous compensation because you had to wait a few weeks longer. 

It's sad that you have to sit in front of your window waiting for your toys to be delivered while you can see the kid next door playing with his toys but please take a single step backwards and realise: 

If waiting for your Rift is the thing that causes you the most stress and anger in your life, your llfe is better than that of 99% of humans on this planet.

Oculus isn't cheating you, they're not ripping you off, this isn't a grand conspiracy against you personally. 

Just so you guys know, I didn't start this thread for people to argue. If you check all my previous post and comments on these forums you'll see that I've never been like that and only ever tried to help people out.

I posted this thread just for the simple discussion of weather or not they should offer something to make up for their mistakes. And I posted it on this forum because the simple truth is, any question that pops into my head about Oculus Rift I have absolutely nobody to talk to about my questions and thoughts. Everyone I know in my country, in my city, at work, my family & friends etc doesn't even know what Oculus Rift is and when I explain it to them most of them don't seem interested so I posted on this forum to have a friendly discussion about my thoughts so that we could talk civil and have a discussion.

I think the problem we have on this forum is that I've noticed, there are those that moan and complain about everything that's happened so far, and then theirs others that moan and complain about the people moaning and complaining. And quite often this turns into arguing, and everyone thinks their opinion is right.

I didn't want that in this thread, and so I just wanted to clear all that up. I think people are too quick to judge and too quick to jump on the band wagon, so to speak. 

We should all be able to just discuss things without people assuming your moaning or complaining.

I feel that myself, I am on the fence with everything that's happened so far. I still love Oculus for making the Rift and I still can't wait to receive my Rift and I know 100% that I will love playing games with my Rift.

Other companies throughout my life I have known them to do things like this, offer compensation or perhaps that's the wrong word, maybe just do something nice to keep people sweet. Because even if you disagree with people that moan and complain, it doesn't take away the fact that they feel that way, and you can't really argue against how someone feels. Because that's personal to them. So if someone feels unhappy with a product or a company or the way in which things have been handled then that is their choice. And sometimes in life we can agree to disagree. 
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Cmndr-Hill
Expert Protege
"Should Oculus say sorry to it's loyal customers and backers by means of compensation?"

They already have and are now paying for shipping as an extra sorry.

Hi Mr Oculus, can I have my rift please? 🙂