3 hours after getting my Rift shipping confirmation I find out that I'm getting laid off — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

3 hours after getting my Rift shipping confirmation I find out that I'm getting laid off

cdmoore74cdmoore74 Posts: 104
Art3mis
What are the odds?  After waiting for months and checking emails every morning I finally had good news when I woke up; my card was charged.  I go into work all happy and I find out that I'm getting laid off after 16 years on the job.  

Sometimes shit happens for a reason but you got to stay positive.  

Comments

• ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Maybe it was due to all the slacking off at work checking your emails for your confirmation email from Oculus ?

Ohhh I smell a lawsuit lol
  • xunknownxxunknownx Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    atleast u have plenty of time to play with your rift now.
  • OblongshipOblongship Posts: 254
    Nexus 6
    cdmoore74 said:
    What are the odds?  After waiting for months and checking emails every morning I finally had good news when I woke up; my card was charged.  I go into work all happy and I find out that I'm getting laid off after 16 years on the job.  

Sorry man,

All Rift jokes and drama put aside...I pray you and your family peace and that you have a smooth transition into another position with no impact on your current lifestyle.

My family will keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers.
  • Blyss4226Blyss4226 Posts: 549 Poster of the Week
    Sorry to hear that bro. Life can be a troll like that sometimes. Stay strong, you never know where this new path may lead.
    Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD
    Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
  • blue-steelblue-steel Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    I hope you bounce back and find something soon bro
  • darkangel6415darkangel6415 Posts: 148
    Hiro Protagonist
    null

Hey I took my vr headset to incredible pizza and charge $10 to use headset for 5 minutes, I made almost $200 before employees caught on and had me leave
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Damn yo. Hope you find a new job soon.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,246 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    Maybe there is some secret curse behind VR being introduced to the world?

True story: the very day that I was told my Rift arrived a week early and was waiting for me when I get home from work... I received a text message 30 minutes later that a family member was going to the hospital. I didn't get to open my Rift until the 3rd day of its arrival.

Family comes first of course and I could have waited another year; but it's interesting to read other folks having odd timing issues with life events centered around the Rift.

Blame Facebook? :#
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 674
    Neo

I feel, VR experience Dev is in your new future!! Its a new industry, and you got some definate motivation !!

Any of you day to day skills fit into VR industry?

-P
    Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,896 Valuable Player
    Sorry dude it sucks balls. I was put on notice of redundancy a month after getting an extension. It all panned out OK tho so fingers crossed for you
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    cdmoore74 said:
    I go into work all happy and I find out that I'm getting laid off after 16 years on the job. 
    So, You have your Rift coming then find out you'll have heaps of extra time to play with it?  Awesome!  Things just keep getting better!
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    When one door closes, another opens. Step into the Rift. No unemployment there.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • Cmndr-HillCmndr-Hill Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    cdmoore74 said:

On the Brightside you will have some more time with your new rift.

I am sorry to hear you have been laid off especially after 16 years. All the best in your new quest for employment.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,896 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    on the bright side, and I can only speak for the uk, perhaps other countries are different, but you should be looking at a decent pay off at least to soften the blow.

16 years, uk minimium redundancy is 1 week pay for every year you have been there, and that is tax free up to £40,000.

many companies go way above this as well....

it may not take all the pain of losing your job away, but it is a nice safety net at least.. good luck.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • cdmoore74cdmoore74 Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    Thank you guys for all the support. I was lucky that I was not let go on the spot and I still have a few months to look for a new job. Most people that also received their walking papers after I did weren't so lucky.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Sorry to hear that man, hopefully you will find something even better and it was a blessing in disguise! Least you got a rift! :smiley: 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player

If you will have issues paying off the money on the card, buying the Rift was probably a good move. As regretful as it might be if you sell it you could triple your money on Ebay. Good luck for finding a new job soonest.

• AzuriaAzuria Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    its no joke, sorry to hear.  You will always find another opportunity, go out there and find it!
  • AekeroAekero Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Few months??? I know you were there a long time, but I'd venture it's going to feel refreshing. I had a similar situation happen (albeit less time at the company), had a few months to find a job while they transitioned the company. I ended up lining one up way before my few months were over, scheduled to start the new job 2 weeks after the old job ended, took 2 weeks of paid (sev pay) vacation, then enjoyed 6 weeks of double paychecks. 

In this day, 16 years at a job is more the exception, I know you didn't want it to end, but hopefully it ends up alright!
  • FingerMcPokeyeFingerMcPokeye Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    Every time some shit like that has happened in my life I can look back and see it was a turning point where things got waaaay better.

Turn up the positive attitude to 11, and hit the streets...
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    "I was lucky that I was not let go on the spot and I still have a few months to look for a new job. "

Easiest way to find a job is when you have a job.  Are you in a technical profession?  
  • SkateZillaSkateZilla Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    i completely missed the last word of the topic title.