cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 hours after getting my Rift shipping confirmation I find out that I'm getting laid off

cdmoore74
Protege
What are the odds?  After waiting for months and checking emails every morning I finally had good news when I woke up; my card was charged.  I go into work all happy and I find out that I'm getting laid off after 16 years on the job.  

Sometimes shit happens for a reason but you got to stay positive.  
25 REPLIES 25

cybereality
Grand Champion
Damn yo. Hope you find a new job soon.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Maybe there is some secret curse behind VR being introduced to the world?

True story: the very day that I was told my Rift arrived a week early and was waiting for me when I get home from work... I received a text message 30 minutes later that a family member was going to the hospital. I didn't get to open my Rift until the 3rd day of its arrival.

Family comes first of course and I could have waited another year; but it's interesting to read other folks having odd timing issues with life events centered around the Rift.

Blame Facebook? :#

pjenness
Rising Star

I feel, VR experience Dev is in your new future!! Its a new industry, and you got some definate motivation !!

Any of you day to day skills fit into VR industry?

-P
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Sorry dude it sucks balls. I was put on notice of redundancy a month after getting an extension. It all panned out OK tho so fingers crossed for you
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

cdmoore74 said:

I go into work all happy and I find out that I'm getting laid off after 16 years on the job. 

So, You have your Rift coming then find out you'll have heaps of extra time to play with it?  Awesome!  Things just keep getting better!

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
When one door closes, another opens. Step into the Rift. No unemployment there.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Cmndr-Hill
Expert Protege

cdmoore74 said:

What are the odds?  After waiting for months and checking emails every morning I finally had good news when I woke up; my card was charged.  I go into work all happy and I find out that I'm getting laid off after 16 years on the job.  

Sometimes shit happens for a reason but you got to stay positive.  

On the Brightside you will have some more time with your new rift.

I am sorry to hear you have been laid off especially after 16 years. All the best in your new quest for employment.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
on the bright side, and I can only speak for the uk, perhaps other countries are different, but you should be looking at a decent pay off at least to soften the blow.

16 years, uk minimium redundancy is 1 week pay for every year you have been there, and that is tax free up to £40,000.

many companies go way above this as well....

it may not take all the pain of losing your job away, but it is a nice safety net at least.. good luck.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

cdmoore74
Protege
Thank you guys for all the support. I was lucky that I was not let go on the spot and I still have a few months to look for a new job. Most people that also received their walking papers after I did weren't so lucky.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to hear that man, hopefully you will find something even better and it was a blessing in disguise! Least you got a rift! :smiley: