cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

God-Rays are real and disappointing coming from DK2

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I just received my Rift, and while I'm very happy with most of the changes one thing glaringly sticks out, "God-Rays". Its like having smudges on your sunglasses. Yeah you can see, but the smudge just keeps annoying you until you clean your sunglasses or get a new pair. I sympathize with anyone who is annoyed by this. Before I got my CV1 I thought people were just complaining to complain, but the God-Rays are a big negative. The issue I have is that my DK2 has no God-Rays. There is no way this ever should have been released to the public in this state. These lenses literally ruin the VR experience.  My first impression after seeing the God-Rays first hand was, why would anyone release this to the public. The lenses are fine if there is plenty of light but anything that has just a hint of darkness in it and the God-Rays are there to annoy you. I haven't enjoyed anything since putting on the CV1. I'm going to give this a try for a week to see if I can get used to it, if not; I really think I'm going to sell this unit and make a few hundred dollars and just use the DK2 until the next generation. They should have stuck with the same lenses in the DK2. Those lenses are awesome and these Fresnel lenses are terrible. I believe Lucky Palmer said he would never use Fresnel lenses. I wonder what happened to make them use lenses they said they would never use? 

t8em44dm1jsi.png

94 REPLIES 94

Oblongship
Heroic Explorer

Maxxgold said:

Nobbs66 said:

Why did you just post a pic from a video done by one of the volunteer mods?

I think its obvious but maybe you don't have enough insight to figure it out?

No need to be rude.

HiThere_
Superstar
Well so far forum users have confirmed that god rays are a thing, but you forget about them after a while.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I don't notice them most of the time, aside from loading screens which don't really matter. You can see them a lot on static content, like 360 photos, but when playing games they are rarely distracting. I mean, if you look you will see them, but it's sort of minor if you're not paying attention.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Lusca
Expert Protege
People keep reporting variable experiences with the "godrays". Is there some variability in the lenses? People who normally wear glasses? Normal variability in eyesight? Or is it expectations? Anyone try to track this stuff?

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

For those of you with a CV1 Rift, try changing your distance from the lenses and see what effect it has.  I've experimented by pulling the headset away from my face and by crushing my face into the foam.  I also moved the headset around (up/down/left/right) while I was observing strong god rays.  The load screens of "The Climb" are a great 2-3 min period with constant god ray conditions.

I find that position has a pretty strong impact on the appearance and severity of crepuscular 'god' rays.  I have a the rays are affected by facial structure and the resultant distance from the lenses.  They're pretty tame for me, but if my headset isn't seated well or slips out of the sweet spot, especially in Elite, I first notice because the god rays are much more pronounced.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

K33L
Protege
I may need to try glasses or something, I agree that when playing something its not as prominent.  But if theres a word anywhere or any lettering mine is awful.  I'd like to look at someone elses to compare.  The overall graphics is amazing though, I'm the same as trytiped, I don't even really want to show anyone due to them being that bad on mine.  Maybe I just need to spend more time inside of it.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Lusca said:

People keep reporting variable experiences with the "godrays". Is there some variability in the lenses? People who normally wear glasses? Normal variability in eyesight? Or is it expectations? Anyone try to track this stuff?

it could be depending on what apps they try.

sometimes it is barely noticeable, other times it is so bad you may think it is a bug/fault/nuts artistic choice.

the good news it is obviously circumventable, in time devs will learn to work around it and minimise the problem
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

KarlHungus
Protege
God Rays is a major part on why I sold my CV1 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I disagree. The God Rays on my Rift are a non-issue for me. I rarely ever noticed them when playing games and do not ruin or distract from the experience. 

wickfut
Expert Protege

whoa182 said:

I disagree. The God Rays on my Rift are a non-issue for me. I rarely ever noticed them when playing games and do not ruin or distract from the experience. 

For some people who come from a DK2 and are used to having no god rays, they aren't a non-issue and we do notice them and get distracted by them.