Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Gauge: What VR games are popular with HTC Vive's early adopters

Anonymous
Not applicable
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Really interesting read, thanks for sharing!
Surprised how well surgeon sim is doing.

Although in terms of 'Team VR' I really hope there are more than this amount of headsets sold:

...our best guess is that about 25,000 to 30,000 HTC Vive units have been sent to consumers

edmg
Trustee
That number sounds reasonable to me. Despite all the 'I'm cancelling my Rift!' hype, I think it's pretty clear that the Rift will have outsold the Vive, and most sales of either headset will happen when they're available in stores for people to try, not in preorders.

Also, despite all the 'I ordered my Vive last week and got it today' hype, there still seem to be plenty of people who ordered in March and still don't have theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if only half the existing Vive orders have shipped.

xi11ix
Adventurer

edmg said:

That number sounds reasonable to me. Despite all the 'I'm cancelling my Rift!' hype, I think it's pretty clear that the Rift will have outsold the Vive, and most sales of either headset will happen when they're available in stores for people to try, not in preorders.

Also, despite all the 'I ordered my Vive last week and got it today' hype, there still seem to be plenty of people who ordered in March and still don't have theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if only half the existing Vive orders have shipped.

I agree, retail will decide which device is more popular.

The Vive order page says they're still back ordered into June, so if you order today you'll have about a month wait.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rift will struggle against Vive in retail, IMO. VR in itself is pretty damn cool, but when you have hand controllers too. Sorry, but playing games with an xbone controller just feels boring. Rift needs Touch ASAP if it wants to compete on a level playing field.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star

notsram said:

Rift will struggle against Vive in retail, IMO. VR in itself is pretty damn cool, but when you have hand controllers too. Sorry, but playing games with an xbone controller just feels boring. Rift needs Touch ASAP if it wants to compete on a level playing field.

You may be right, and Touch needs to get here fast, but I just want to point out that in Retail, the sleek polished product with easy-use software sometimes outsells the competitor, even if that competitor is technically superior in some regards and has more functionality and an open environment. 

Iphone anyone?

Hanover
Rising Star

notsram said:

Not when the PSVR is released...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It's common knowledge that people run to Best Buy in order to figure out which device they can buy that will cause them to remove all home furnishings in a 15x15 area. It is known.

😘

edmg
Trustee

Iphone anyone?

That's pretty much how I see it. The Rift is aiming to be the 'it just works' iPhone of the VR world, while HTC are aiming for the Android-style enthusiast market of people who are willing to live with some rough edges and complexity to play games. It's not clear to me which one will win in the retail market, for that reason.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
We should make forum wagers. Pick a time frame (e.g., first quarter 2017) to see who is revealed as ahead in the market. I vote for Rift because I honestly view the Vive as the Nintendo Wii of the VR world. I believe that sophistication and practicality of installation (e.g., how many people live in small apartments) will win out over gadget enthusiasm.