cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D prints anyone?

dead4sure
Adventurer
So I'm using a 3D printer tonight and I'm stuck for stuff to print so i'm wondering if anyone has anything they would like printed to see how it comes out or if it works on the CV1 etc.

Here's a couple of leap motion clips I printed on the same machine. 
2n9tpe8mfxj9.jpg

It's a DLP printer so certain parts will be limited by supports etc.

I won't be able to send prints anywhere but I will happily try them. 

cheers
24 REPLIES 24

dead4sure
Adventurer
I'm printing that clip tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out. I must admit I'm nervous about breaking it when removing it from the print tray...

Roaster
Rising Star

maxpare79 said:

Yeah I look at 3D printers all the time, I have decent CAD knowledge but don't know if I have enough to design my own stuff. I would be stuck at printing stuff I find online. I build model kit as a hobby, being able to scratch built my own parts would be awesome! 

I found the design process for making things was the most enjoyable part of 3D printing.  I use 123D Design, which is free, and has a bunch of tutorials for how to use the app tools.  Totally cool when you get fluent with the program, which comes quickly.  One thing that got me going was seeing the printed parts for my machine ... you can really make stuff that's useful and functional.  I use Cura to translate the cad designs to machine code. Super easy to learn.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

maxpare79
Trustee

Roaster said:

maxpare79 said:

Yeah I look at 3D printers all the time, I have decent CAD knowledge but don't know if I have enough to design my own stuff. I would be stuck at printing stuff I find online. I build model kit as a hobby, being able to scratch built my own parts would be awesome! 

I found the design process for making things was the most enjoyable part of 3D printing.  I use 123D Design, which is free, and has a bunch of tutorials for how to use the app tools.  Totally cool when you get fluent with the program, which comes quickly.  One thing that got me going was seeing the printed parts for my machine ... you can really make stuff that's useful and functional.  I use Cura to translate the cad designs to machine code. Super easy to learn.

umm now you really got my attention, I will do some research :smile: ....Poor wallet, you never get a break...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

helifrek
Explorer
Nice quality prints! My next printer (fingers crossed) will be a form2. Right now I have a makergear M2 and love it. Just finished printing the curiosity rover from the nasa website, looks pretty good. The 3D printing keeps me sane while I wait for the rift to come in.....

Obviously not the rover but this is a favorite print of mine.

i5-6600k, 980 ti, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16Gb RAM. Whoohoooo!!!!! finally all built and running! CV1 pre-ordered (July)

DerekSpeare
Adventurer
grabcad.com has loads of stuff.  We have our parts from SLS and DMLS produced outside and have a pretty nice FFM machine here to make other parts.  You should do a 3d printed Lucky from the game...that character is pretty damn cute.  It's a matter of time before someone makes a 3d model of him. 
derekspearedesigns.com

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Well dead4sure I actually need a Vive leap motion holder. LEAP make a universal one but seeing as you aren't selling these then nvm. A shame if you were UK based and up for that.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Luciferous
Consultant
@FrozenPea I love the design of your leap motion holder. I just tried to buy a copy online but it says clip.stl could not be uploaded.

L_E_D_BLUE
Expert Protege

Roaster said:

maxpare79 said:

Now that you know 123D, check out Fusion 360.

L_E_D_BLUE
Expert Protege

helifrek said:

Nice quality prints! My next printer (fingers crossed) will be a form2. Right now I have a makergear M2 and love it. Just finished printing the curiosity rover from the nasa website, looks pretty good. The 3D printing keeps me sane while I wait for the rift to come in.....

Obviously not the rover but this is a favorite print of mine.

I have the Form2 and I love it. It is amazing and never fails.

dead4sure
Adventurer

Well dead4sure I actually need a Vive leap motion holder. LEAP make a universal one but seeing as you aren't selling these then nvm. A shame if you were UK based and up for that.

I still totally recommend Blu-tack! It might not look amazing but it is really convenient and has a smaller footprint than the mount. 
h1xhn6psypcl.jpg