cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Lens Flare/Glare Issue Is INSANE

jhoward4444
Explorer
So I've owned a DK2 since May 2015. Been playing games for quite some time and have even used it for the past month. I've been in the home screen, played a dozen games/experiences, and never quite experienced anything even remotely close to this. There is an absurd halo affect/lens flare/whatever you want to call it. Just looking at the prices in the home/store screen you can see a halo affect around all the numbers. I loaded up the Unreal demo and the logo puts off this terrible glare that literally makes it embarrassing to look at to think that it's correct. In the 360 video screen it's noticeable everywhere I look. As soon as I put my headset on I anticipated a much clearer picture than on my DK2, however I'm gifted with the atrocity of these flares. 

I've seen some complaints about this, but there is no way it can possibly be this bad, can it? Outside of clarity, my DK2 experience is far superior from a strictly visual standpoint of not having to look at these rays/lines/flares/glares. This is on the verge of unacceptable and I can't even imagine continuing to move forward with this. It is bad enough to where I can see myself either developing headaches or simply overall displeasure towards the experience and this being a huge waste of money. Please tell me there's something I'm doing wrong or this is defective, because there is no way this can be the final product I'm looking at. 
25 REPLIES 25

Fredd32
Adventurer
Thanks for that ThreeDee...I assume Elite in vr to be about as awesome as it gets.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
It is definitely one of the top VR experiences.  I have been playing it since the beta and it just keeps getting better.  The planetary landings are incredible.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

edmg
Trustee

helifrek said:

Is it the same way on the vive? Just curious. Rift is pre-ordered, I am way back in line and have a July shipping date. All the talk about the God rays and other issues are starting to worry me.

Don't have my Rift yet, but Fresnel rings are common on the Vive, and 'God rays' happen quite often in high contrast scenes. The most glaring example I've seen are the stars in 'The Rose And I', which spew God rays all over the screen.

Raptoid
Honored Guest
The actual colors look better on the DK2 before 1.3 My CV1 looks horrible as far as the colors are concerned black is grey, planets look blurry not impressed after having played in the DK2 for since Aug. 14

Maxxgold
Rising Star
    I feel your pain. I received my CV1 this week and I was dismayed by the God-Rays. I play a lot of Elite Dangerous, and with my DK2 it was perfect. I throw on the Cv1 and I have rays of light from every light source shining right in my eyes. I turned up the gamma and turned down the hud display and that helped a lot. I also position myself above the lower hud so that I can look into space and not get the glare. I'm still considering selling the CV1 and just using the DK2 but the CV1 improvements are making it a tough decision.

Most of the content that was developed for the CV1 the God-Rays are not noticeable, except for some menu screens. I play a lot of Adrift and you have no noticeable God-Rays. So hopefully they will continue to make games that minimize or eliminate this effect. 

I think for 600 dollars that we shouldn't have to deal with this issue. I shouldn't spend 600 dollars and have to get used to annoying lights shinning in my eyes. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone without them first seeing if the God-Rays are annoying to them or not. This was supposed to be such a great moment for VR after DK2, and it's been pretty disappointing. How anyone could see the God-Rays and then okay the release of the product is beyond me. They could have at least made the lenses interchangeable so we can get different lenses, like the DK2.

In conclusion, I will find it really hard to ever buy another product from Oculus. The horrible wait for the CV1, still no touch controllers, annoying God-Rays, ordering issues with DK1 and DK2, lead me to believe that Oculus does not have their shit together. My friend has a Vive, and while it doesn't have all the features of the CV1, it's a complete unit with controllers, and the God-Rays are minimal. They are there but they are different and don't annoy you. I know once we get touch controllers for the Rift things may be different on that front, but that's the problem, we have no clue when we will actually get the touch controllers. If we know anything, we know that Oculus can't deliver anything on time!

BEARDEDFIGNUTZ
Protege

Artist3d
Explorer
I have to agree with the complaints about this as I have mentioned in other posts, this over concern about 'the screen door effect' has led to a not so pretty 'solution' that is far more distracting and aesthetically misrepresenting of a lot of work artists and designers put into their image processing for the Rift. Anyone who is an aficionado of space related VR is bound to be peeved at this extra 'special effect' that renders outer space scenes almost 2 dimensional with the lack of black depth or ability to present text on a nice black background. I hope Oculus offers users a free fix at some point or at least the option to refit with glass lenses (is there a hack?). There was no need to re-invent the optical wheel here for a little screen door effect which disappears readily with any engaging content. It is not a problem with well lit content but space VR has been compromised and looks better in a DK2, no question about keeping my DK2.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Artist3d said:

I hope Oculus offers users a free fix at some point or at least the option to refit with glass lenses (is there a hack?). There was no need to re-invent the optical wheel here for a little screen door effect which disappears readily with any engaging content. It is not a problem with well lit content but space VR has been compromised and looks better in a DK2, no question about keeping my DK2.

The reason for using fresnel lenses is not screen door effect, that's purely down to pixel and interpixel size unless you add a bit of a blur filter.  It's for size, weight and sweet spot.  Also the lenses will probably never be made of glass, few lenses are. Maybe you might get the option or someone will produce aftermarket conventional lenses one day.  I'd be interested to see the difference, but I expect the much smaller sweet spot would be a larger factor than the barely noticeable god rays in some situations

Ruined
Heroic Explorer
While some additional flare is not ideal, I think it was a good tradeoff.

Lets not forget, these lenses do not require a depth adjustment and the flare is a tradeoff for that - if more than one person uses your headset not having to tinker with depth between players is a godsend!

also I really only notice them in white on black menus and loading screens.  regular gameplay not noticable.

Defectus
Explorer
The godways is a hard pill to swallow. The most annoying thing is the spot in the middle. Like there is a thin layer of dirt in the center of the lens which is present even in bright scenes. Is this normal?