New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Been gone a while, some issues I have with CV1 versus Vive and also.. what happened to this forum??

karrtoonkarrtoon Posts: 120
Art3mis
Ok so I see a lot of things have changed here, I am a dev that would come here a lot over the years but have been gone the last 3 months. Where is the Unity/UE4 support section for devs? Where is cyberreality, dave, etc.. where can I leave feedback and bug reports I have found? It feels like this forum has regressed quite a bit. (let's choose functionality over form I say!)

I have been messing with the Vive for about a month now and just got the CV1 today. The first thing I noticed when I put it on is the edges have some seriouss lense distortion/stretching going on when you look around. I can see geometry on the edges of the FOV stretch, which does not happen on the Vive or DK2.

Second, it immediately felt like low persistence mode was off for some reason, all blacks feel very grey and there's a subtle blur when looking around. But I would say the slight lense warping issue on the edges is the most important at this time, It's subtle but noticeable. I think this could be fixed in software actually because something has changed here. Whoever eyeballed the new distortion setting and put them in for the new lenses was a bit off in his judgement.

Third, the instruction need to be better for removing the battery on the remote. It makes no mention of sliding the back plate off.

Finally, the calibration I did standing so it made the floor and me way too high in the Dreamdeck. I would recommend making it so it doesn't matter if you are seated or standing when calibrating. I did not see if it mentioned to sit down or not, but I could see this same issue happening to a lot of other people.

Hope this feedback is helpful, and I hope the forum is still the same great place it once was and I am just overlooking something.

Comments

• danworlddanworld Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Hey, welcome back.

Yeah, things have changed quite a bit. I used to come here a lot a couple years ago.

Cyberreality is still around and kicking ass. And you'll get used to the new board design, it does streamline some things.

About your Rift concerns. Maybe you're kind of used to the Vive. Maybe play with the Rift a bit more. I got my Rift before my Vive, and it sort of made me see lots of 'problems' with the Vive that I later learned were just its relative quirks. 

• karrtoonkarrtoon Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    Hello! I actually meant Unity Dave but that's okay :)

yeah I'm going to keep messing with it. I notice especially on the rooftop demo when staring at the buildings in the background and moving my head all the way left the all the way right. The warp/stretching of geometry at the edges of the screen is very prevalent to me on the CV1. I am doing the demo with the revive hack immediately after that and it looks perfect. (as in real life buildings in background when turning head like this perfect) I can't unsee this hmm.
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    @karrtoon Hi, and welcome back :)

I don't have CV1 yet, and most of what you mention would probably still be over my head, even if I had one! Interesting, though.
    Having been around since before the forums changed, perhaps I could help with that aspect... this area is now more dedicated to "Community" and is therefore populated more by end users than by devs. Perhaps this is what you're looking for?

https://forums.oculus.com/developer

Good luck! B)
  • karrtoonkarrtoon Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    Wow thanks!! I could not find that on the new forum anywhere for some reason!
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    You're welcome. :) Now hit one of those post rating buttons or I'll Dislike yours... oh, that's gone. Well, then I'll just Flag you... oh, that's gone too... errr... (yep, tings done changed) :p
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    karrtoon said:
    Wow thanks!! I could not find that on the new forum anywhere for some reason!
    You can choose which section of the forum you want to view at the top right, although now you have the link anyway :smile: 

CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • dinorogerdinoroger Posts: 196
    Art3mis
    I agree about the battery needing better instructions. I put a couple of marks trying to use a screwdriver to get that darn door off.