New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I HATE my Rift and I'm both confused and disappointed

ExigeousExigeous Posts: 43
Brain Burst
First let me say I don't mean this to be a rant post but rather more of a gut check - in many ways I want to make sure that there isn't something wrong with either me gear (CV1), myself (physically?) or simply my expectations (likely). So let me explain as briefly as I can as I really do want some feedback and input from you guys.

First a bit about me and my system.  I've worked in IT for 20+ years, mostly networking and management.  I've been a gamer since I was about 8, my parents literally had the first consumer Pong game then quickly Atari 2400.  I've been through all the consoles but have mostly been a PC gamer since my 20's with periods of heavy gaming (20+ hours a week) or little gaming (1 hour per 20 weeks).  Currently I have an extremely high end cockpit based sim racing system.  3 27" 4K monitors, 2 Titan Z cards, 6770k, 32GB Ram, RAID0 250GB SSD, etc. etc.  Pretty much spared no expense.  a 5 way ButtKicker vibration system and multiple high end wheels/joysticks from Thrustmaster, Fanatac, etc. etc. (way too much to list).  I'm mostly a sim racer (real racing instructor in real life, race a Lotus Exige) so my entire system is based around racing, mostly Project Cars, iRacing and Dirt Rally.  I do play some flight sims like Elite Dangerous so I was pretty psyched with Eve: Valkerie.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way - don't at all want to seem like a douche/ass/prick, but also want to show that I do know what I'm talking about and am not some total newbie idiot.  I've been sold on VR for a long time, in concept anyway and believe that 20+ years from now we'll look back on it as the 2nd big shift in computing, after the IBM Jr. / Home PC.  I haven't used DK2 in a very long time as when I did it was far too low quality for me with the SDE (screen door effect) way too intense.  I'm somewhat overly sensitive to that as I'm also a home theatre buff and had one of the early home theatre projectors back in the mid-90's, a Sharp HomeVision that was something like 640x480 so at 100" HUGE SDE.  I knew that was a small issue still with most reviews saying it went away almost instantly as everything else is so good and intense.  Ok, let's get started with my issues.

The SDE is HUGE.  As in I can't stand it HUGE.  It's an issue everywhere.  It doesn't go away and I can never stop seeing it.  Even in a dark game like Eve I see it constantly and can't stop letting it drive me crazy.  It's like it's just constantly ruining everything for me.  Next I'm constantly seeing a blur from the lenses to my eyes.  I think it's something to do with the moisture that develops on my cheeks almost instantly.  I keep 3 fans pointed at my face with one pointing up from underneath to get some airflow into the headset and while that helps it doesn't eliminate the sweat.  I'm seated (in my Obutto Ozone cockpit) in a basement room that's very cool compared to the house (probably 65 at the highest) so not a hot room.  After 20+ minutes of time I have to take the headset off for a few minutes to cool my face off and let all the sweat dry enough to get another 10-20 minutes.

When I play Project Cars my thoughts are "this looks horrible, the graphics quality is awful and the SDE is HUGE".  The reviews I read are exactly the opposite, they talk about how amazing it looks, they can't believe their eyes, they are "driving a car" not playing a game.  For me I couldn't feel more the opposite.  When I play my 3 27" setup, on full Ultra at 90+ FPS it looks STUNNING.  Everyone that plays it can't believe how real and amazing it looks.  I put on the headset and it's like I've stepped back 10 years in quality.  It's blurry (as previously noted) and again the SDE is huge.  I swear I keep thinking they put DK2 screens in my CV1 headset.

So, ok, that's enough for now.  I have many other complaints, in fact the only thing I can say good about it is the head tracking is incredibly perfect and smooth.  I am pretty blown away they can do that so perfectly without it ever once jumping or glitching, it really is impressive.  Everything else to my eyes, well, sucks.  I just read someone's first impression of the Dinosaur that attacks you in the theatre and how incredible it was.  My first impression of that was "are you kidding, this looks AWFUL."

Is it me???  If so please help me fix me??  Do I just have far too high expectations??  Help me please?!?!?!  :-)

-Ross

Comments

• ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    If you are coming from 4K monitors you are going to struggle with the CV1 resolution until you get used to the downgrade.  I have owned a DK2 and CV1, had plenty of fogging issues on the DK2 so know what you mean, but not once have I had any fogging on the CV1, are you generally a sweater and hot person ? If you have it strapped to tight you will sweat more than normal in the CV1.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,044 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    It's not you Ross this is current tech VR. Project CARS does help you feel like you're in a vehicle but when you look to the distance the quality is poor and takes away from the positives. I've realized that VR is best when you're not required to look too far into the distance otherwise it's a blurry hell hole that plays havoc with your eyes.

Dial back the expectations man and accept it for what it is. Also, to add. Don't trust anyone's opinion but your own. Anyone can profess to being a "reviewer" these days with little to no credentials making it a minefield of opinions and pure hyperbole. So always take what people say with a pinch of salt.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    I have to say sorry man because you are used to really nice things in life and VR just isn't to those standards. We've come a long way but we know that with current tech it's going to be far from perfect. The thing is that for those of us who don't have high-end systems or for casual viewers, the Rift absolutely blows us away (or at least I am hoping so, only own the DK2).

We won't hit that high end for at least another 5 years, probably closer to 10 so that displays can increase the resolution over multiple times. I think in Carmacks presentation he said we needed at least 14K to have a "good" VR headset.
    Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
  • Cmndr-HillCmndr-Hill Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    It's not 4K which is a real shame, but in time VR will be. At this time high end PC's are no way near powerful enough to handle 4K VR.

so glad I'm not used to 4K 
  • deanogurdeanogur Posts: 456
    Nexus 6
    It sounds to me that you are fixated on the SDE and low image quality. I believe that is something one can learn to see passed eventually but, if not - then VR is not ready for you yet.  We would all like VR to have the image quality of 4k monitors but, it simply isn't possible or affordable right now given current hardware limitations.

Movie viewing can be difficult for some due to an inability to suspend dis-belief; we need to stop analyzing what is or is not possible and just watch events unfold as intended by the story teller or viewing the movie becomes pointless. Early VR is a little like that in that we have to suspend focusing on what is currently less than ideal; SDE, pixelation, lens light artifacts, etc., need to be ignored for current VR to be effective.

With a strong focus on game-play, given enough time, perhaps you can learn to ignore current VR limitations. It's not about "trying" not to focus on the negatives but, "focusing" on the positives.

For me, Pcars doesn't satisfy my desire for believable driving physics; for that, I have to wait for AC or iRacing to get VR support.  I do enjoy Dirt Rally though so that is one I look forward to also. The driving dynamics are important for me to feel immersed in the Simulation - probably even more-so with VR.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    Speaking from a Vive viewpoint, yeah the SDE effect is there and it's pretty noticeable. The graphics quality is also way below what most 'normal' games display. At this development stage, it's a tradeoff between realistic graphics and immersion, and a tradeoff I'm more than happy to make. I haven't once sat underwater in The Blu and thought 'crikey, I can see a few pixels on those fish'. I've just sat there watching the fish and jellyfish swarm around me. All around me. It's amazing.
  • benplacebenplace Posts: 769
    Neo
    Just like audiophiles will have issues with the headphones, home theater people/high end gaming people are going to have issues with the video quaIity.  You have to realize, the minimum video specs for VR is a GTX 970 which was released in Sept 2014.  You are pushing video to two screens and must maintain 90fps while doing so.  Monitors can get away with 30fps and still look good. I expect Vive/Rift 2 to be much better, but we must wait for the hardware to catch up.
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    Exigeous said:

The SDE is HUGE.  As in I can't stand it HUGE.  It's an issue everywhere.  It doesn't go away and I can never stop seeing it.  Even in a dark game like Eve I see it constantly and can't stop letting it drive me crazy. 

This is pretty much my take on the DK2. But I didn't expect the same 'can't stand it' reaction with CV1, considering every CV1 review states that screendoor is a non-issue and so much better than DK2.

• LuscaLusca Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    If it's a real issue, then you might want to sell it while there's a lot of demand. There will likely be much more impressive VR on the market in a couple of years.
  • GrimfistGrimfist Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    I have similiar setup with you Ross but i play flight/space sim games. I know what you are talking about. Resolution is bad, i hate seeing pixels. Fow is toi narrow and the god rays are annoying. I dont get moisture very often, but when i do i swipe the lenses with microfiber cloth that was included, no break needed. When i put my rift on i feel that im exchanging quality on headtracking. It looks far from good.. forexample war thunder and in elite dangerous its impossible to see what direction are enemy planes/ships going when chasing them you only see blur ehen after them.. But the feeling of actually being in the cockpit in vr is so much better compared to sitting in your obutto even with multiple screens. Maybe its differend in race games but when flying, vr is so much better even with its flaws.

This is 1st generation vr "consumer version 1". We are pioneers on adopting vr. It will get better next gen and after that.
  • ExigeousExigeous Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Wow guys, first thanks so much for taking the time to reply and also for doing so in such a constructive manner.  I was so worried I was going to come off like some total elitist prick that I was going to get torn apart for sure - so I appreciate you guys taking the right perspective here.  Very impressed with something finally!  :-)

So it does seem that I'm "right" in that my perceptions are just way too high.  I knew that I had high hopes but after the countless Youtube reviews just fawning over the thing (oh you are so right that anyone can be a "reviewer" these days) I just knew it had to be me.  You guys have confirmed everything I suspected.

To answer a few questions yes, I'm a hot kinda guy and break a sweat just thinking about breaking a sweat.  I'm thin and fit but still just sweat like crazy, always have so I assume that's just me and I can't give them too much crap for that.  That is why I had fans setup and ready to go before my CV1 arrived, hell I use them when just sim racing at my full 3 monitor setup as I get hot then.

I think the blur effect I'm getting is what people are calling "God Rays", does that sound right?  That and the SDE just completely destroy the immersion for me.  I haven't even talked about the extremely limited FOV either, that also kills me.  I'm used to my 3 27" displays that are something like 5 feet wide so almost my entire FOV is display.  I knew the Rift would be smaller but I feel like I'm playing/driving in a tiny box and it again kills the immersion.  I also hadn't really considered that due to the headset I now can't see all my hardware, of which I have a ton.  Not only my full cockpit system but my wheel, sequential shifter, mechanical handbrake, h-pattern shifter, 30 button dash system, Fanatec ClubSport Wheel, 2 Android devices for telemetry, and my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Joystick.  I'm realizing I both need and want to see these things.  These make my experience far more real and immersive than a crappy VR headset.  I guess that's why the headset was $600 and all my hardware gear was $6000 (well not that much but still).

I think one of you hit this on the head - it really is far more for casual or less focused gaming than my high end simulator racing is.  I know that I'm at the high end of gaming but sorta assumed the Rift was there with me and that I wasn't that alone at the 1% I'm at (if you get my drift).  Again I don't mean that to sound douchy, I know the Rift is for high end gamers but more for guys with a single screen setup (maybe 3) that use just a keyboard/mouse or controller for their games.  It's just not there for someone looking for a fully immersive virtual racing system.  While that's a bummer for me fortunately I LOVE my current setup (it really is quite amazing) and I can make a profit reselling my Rift! :-)  Oh, and I'll leave with this - here's a quick video I did detailing my setup a while back when I had 1 Titan Z and 1080p displays.  Most everything else is the same as today with a few minor things (android displays, handbrake, etc.).  This will show you where I'm coming from at least (or maybe how big a douche I really am!) -  (actually it's a bit older than I remembered)

Again thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like it's going on Craigslist tonight!

-Ross
  • ThugThug Posts: 435
    Trinity
    You are expecting too much. Your are trying to compare 3x 27" 4K resolutions from 2 foot away to a far lower resolution tiny screen from 2" away.
    Try to enjoy the game/experience and not look at the negatives.
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    Just a thought, Ross, but you said the FOV was a big problem for you. Have you looked into Vive at all? I can't compare the two, as I only have Vive, but the FOV is supposed to be noticeably better on Vive. Although of course, this is offset by an apparent slight increase in SDE, so may not appeal. The Vive headset also has a built in camera, so you can actually see things without having to remove the HMD.
    Brain Burst
    Unfortunately I now think you're totally right Thug, sorta bummed I had such unrealistic expectations.  For the type of gaming I do these days, 95% sim racing, it seems VR isn't even close to where I'd like or need it to be.  Fortunately I love my existing setup so I'll make a profit on my Rift and wait for the next big thing.  Already waiting for the benchmarks on SLI 1080GTX vs. my dual (really quad) Titan Zs.....

Again thanks all, I should have posted this weeks ago!!!

-Ross
  • VrSpongeVrSponge Posts: 150
    Art3mis
    Twice in the video it appears water or something is leaking from above(Like right after you show the shiftier)
    You don't want that on your electronics..................just saying :)
  • OblongshipOblongship Posts: 254
    Nexus 6
    Exigeous said:
    Wow guys, first thanks so much for taking the time to reply and also for doing so in such a constructive manner.  I was so worried I was going to come off like some total elitist prick that I was going to get torn apart for sure - so I appreciate you guys taking the right perspective here.  Very impressed with something finally!  :-)

So it does seem that I'm "right" in that my perceptions are just way too high.  I knew that I had high hopes but after the countless Youtube reviews just fawning over the thing (oh you are so right that anyone can be a "reviewer" these days) I just knew it had to be me.  You guys have confirmed everything I suspected.

To answer a few questions yes, I'm a hot kinda guy and break a sweat just thinking about breaking a sweat.  I'm thin and fit but still just sweat like crazy, always have so I assume that's just me and I can't give them too much crap for that.  That is why I had fans setup and ready to go before my CV1 arrived, hell I use them when just sim racing at my full 3 monitor setup as I get hot then.

I think the blur effect I'm getting is what people are calling "God Rays", does that sound right?  That and the SDE just completely destroy the immersion for me.  I haven't even talked about the extremely limited FOV either, that also kills me.  I'm used to my 3 27" displays that are something like 5 feet wide so almost my entire FOV is display.  I knew the Rift would be smaller but I feel like I'm playing/driving in a tiny box and it again kills the immersion.  I also hadn't really considered that due to the headset I now can't see all my hardware, of which I have a ton.  Not only my full cockpit system but my wheel, sequential shifter, mechanical handbrake, h-pattern shifter, 30 button dash system, Fanatec ClubSport Wheel, 2 Android devices for telemetry, and my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Joystick.  I'm realizing I both need and want to see these things.  These make my experience far more real and immersive than a crappy VR headset.  I guess that's why the headset was $600 and all my hardware gear was $6000 (well not that much but still).

I think one of you hit this on the head - it really is far more for casual or less focused gaming than my high end simulator racing is.  I know that I'm at the high end of gaming but sorta assumed the Rift was there with me and that I wasn't that alone at the 1% I'm at (if you get my drift).  Again I don't mean that to sound douchy, I know the Rift is for high end gamers but more for guys with a single screen setup (maybe 3) that use just a keyboard/mouse or controller for their games.  It's just not there for someone looking for a fully immersive virtual racing system.  While that's a bummer for me fortunately I LOVE my current setup (it really is quite amazing) and I can make a profit reselling my Rift! :-)  Oh, and I'll leave with this - here's a quick video I did detailing my setup a while back when I had 1 Titan Z and 1080p displays.  Most everything else is the same as today with a few minor things (android displays, handbrake, etc.).  This will show you where I'm coming from at least (or maybe how big a douche I really am!) -  (actually it's a bit older than I remembered)

Again thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like it's going on Craigslist tonight!

-Ross

Hey bud,

Personally I wouldn't sell it and keep it because perhaps an experience you may like will come out of it.

If not, I would maybe setup an auction and list it here. It would be nice to help at least one Rifter here get theirs earlier.
    Trinity
    edited May 2016
    See I have a different view on it.
    I too have a gaming chair, butt kickers and simvibe and love Pcars, Assetto Corsa and Dirt for sim racing (even more so when VR is implemented for AC and Dirt).
    I would rather play in VR than with 3 monitors all day long.
    I like to look around and see nothing but the game for full immersion.
    I don't want too look around and see my cat licking its privates and my empty breakfast bowl.
    I can live with the negatives of VR as I think they by far outweigh the positives of 3 monitors.
    Brain Burst
    notsram said:
    Just a thought, Ross, but you said the FOV was a big problem for you. Have you looked into Vive at all? I can't compare the two, as I only have Vive, but the FOV is supposed to be noticeably better on Vive. Although of course, this is offset by an apparent slight increase in SDE, so may not appeal. The Vive headset also has a built in camera, so you can actually see things without having to remove the HMD.
    Thanks for the input on the Vive - given the comment on SDE I'd probably like it less but I am very interested to try it.  I virtually never "play" anywhere but my racing cockpit, when not it's usually a little casual gaming in bed.  Due to that I wasn't as interested in the Vive as it's far more geared toward full virtual movement which, at the time, I have no interest in (other than seeing a cool demo).  That said I do think the camera addition was genius on HTCs part and my guess is that will quickly become a standard for VR headsets in the future.

VrSponge said:
    Twice in the video it appears water or something is leaking from above(Like right after you show the shiftier)
    Hmm, I'm not sure what you're seeing in the video - just not making it out myself - but there is no water or any other fluids in the room, save for the drink that may or may not be in my cup holder down at the base of the seat.  No water cooling for this system, had one years ago and while I'm sure they are better than one was a major PITA and leaked all the time.  Didn't even do any OC'ing as with this system why would/should I need?  Thanks for bringing it up though, appreciated.

Oblongship said:
    Hey bud,

Personally I wouldn't sell it and keep it because perhaps an experience you may like will come out of it.

If not, I would maybe setup an auction and list it here. It would be nice to help at least one Rifter here get theirs earlier.
    Thanks for the tip - didn't even know that existed.  I'll go have a look as I'd agree with that, I'd rather help/benefit those that frequent the forum.  That said quick cash from CL is appealing...

-Ross
    Brain Burst
    notsram said:
    Thanks for the input on the Vive - given the comment on SDE I'd probably like it less but I am very interested to try it.  I virtually never "play" anywhere but my racing cockpit, when not it's usually a little casual gaming in bed.  Due to that I wasn't as interested in the Vive as it's far more geared toward full virtual movement which, at the time, I have no interest in (other than seeing a cool demo).  That said I do think the camera addition was genius on HTCs part and my guess is that will quickly become a standard for VR headsets in the future.

VrSponge said:
    Hmm, I'm not sure what you're seeing in the video - just not making it out myself - but there is no water or any other fluids in the room, save for the drink that may or may not be in my cup holder down at the base of the seat.  No water cooling for this system, had one years ago and while I'm sure they are better than one was a major PITA and leaked all the time.  Didn't even do any OC'ing as with this system why would/should I need?  Thanks for bringing it up though, appreciated.

Oblongship said:
    Hey bud,

Thanks for the tip - didn't even know that existed.  I'll go have a look as I'd agree with that, I'd rather help/benefit those that frequent the forum that's helping me vs. random Craiglister.  That said cash and ease of CL does sound nice...
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

@notsram Not to get into it too much here, but if SDE and focus were a major issue with the Rift, the Vive's marginal increase in FOV won't be significant enough that the OP will forgive even worse SDE and focus. 

@Exigeous, it sounds like your expectations exceed what the current gen of VR can do.  Those of us who are in love with the technology are trading fidelity for that elusive sense of presence.  I've tried military simulators with massive screens and full motion that also give presence, but not everyone has a cool million sitting around for gaming.

The jump in resolution from DK1/DK2 to the CV is significant.  This is why many of us write such glowing reviews of the new headsets.  Likewise, Vive's wands add a level of immersion previously unavailable in gaming.  Neither of these devices is anywhere NEAR your HD screens, but it's these other features that let many of us forgive its shortcomings.

I'm a bit concerned that you feel the SDE is "huge".  I've tried to assess it on my Rift with a critical eye and it has only stood out during scenes where a single colour covers a significant part of the screen.  I will definitely agree that the headset shows pixels, but I'm left to wonder if you're confusing low resolution with a screen door effect.

Likewise with the FOV, most devices on the market fall somewhere between 90 and 110 degrees.  While this is significant enough to cause massive debates on VR forums, it's still only about half of what humans can naturally see with the naked eye.  Until FOV reaches 180 degrees or higher, we're always going to feel somewhat restricted.  For many of us, this restriction is simply something you learn to ignore.  You ignore your nose yet it's in plain view of both eyes.  You're used to unrestricted wrap-around vision, but current generation VR simply can't deliver an equivalent.

There is also the off chance that your unit is faulty in some way.  You talk about blur yet the clarity of the image was one of the first things that stood out to me when I first tried my CV1 Rift.  The image is undoubtedly lower resolution than you're used to, but objects should still be in nice crisp focus.  I wonder if you received a faulty unit, don't have it configured correctly (IPD settings), or if your propensity for sweating is fogging the lenses to the point they blur.  Using project cars as an example, I'm able to see the far corner on a long straightaway without issue.  I know some people have complained about enemy planes being blurry on War Thunder, but again the CV1 is a massive improvement over the DK2.

God rays are another issue that might be spoiling your experience, but they tend to only be an issue during scenes of high contrast.  They look similar to how your eyes see bright light sources after swimming in chlorinated pools.  If the blurriness you describe is mostly around very bright parts of the screen, this is the likely culprit.  Unfortunately it's the drawback from using Fresnel lenses which give better overall clarity and consistency of focus.

If possible I'd suggest you arrange to test another unit (Rift or Vive) with a friend or even someone here on the board.  While I understand your grievances with the current gen of VR, it's worth your while to make sure your unit isn't flawed before discarding it completely.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • KizbotKizbot Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    Unrealistic expectations.  We all know the resolution of a 4k monitor that is 3-4 feet from your face, and we all know the resolution per eye in the CV1 which is inches from your face with some clever optics to make that same resolution seem like it is some meters from your face.  That needs to sink in really for anyone thinking that resolution will be awesome in CV1.  1200 x pixel columns and 1080 x pixel rows creating a picture that fills over 90 degrees of vision.

Looking at your setup you clearly have plenty of money to spend on it all, trouble is what you have bought has been in development for over 10 years maybe 20. (ie GFX cards, multi core processors, DDR RAM, lcd monitors, etc) It all got to a really advanced state where you really can just throw extra money at it to get better stuff.

Although VR was looked at in the past it wasn't affordable or practical and little progress was made with it. Now it is viable but its still only been in development for just over 3 years and no matter how much money you throw at it its not going to get much better.  You have just got to wait with the rest of us.   

Comparatively the CV1 reminds me of when I was playing DOOM on a 486sx on a 640x480 res monitor.  Was it pixelated? yes! 30 FPS? sometimes if I was in a small room! Was it amazing and revolutionary? Yes!

You have been enjoying some extremely crisp resolutions on your 3 super crisp monitors fed from your 2 titan cards.  The term for it is spoiled.   I have nothing close to this, a single 970 gtx connected to a measly 1680x1050 single monitor. For me, the DK2 was actually not much different! Made it easy for me to adjust to the lower res. You just need to learn to appreciate the VR for what it is buddy, while remembering what early tech is like which judging by you being in IT for the last 20 years you should have a good idea about what that's like.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    I have come from a single 4K monitor to the Rift and think the Rift is great, Yes the clarity isn't as good but the immersion beats that no end, I remember looking out the side of my car at another car I p cars. I would need at least 5 monitors to get close to that.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    to each their own, the display is a step down in visual acuity over 3 screens but a huge step up in immersion.  The good news is you will make at least £300 on your rift.... dont give up on vr fully tho, check back in gen 2 VR in a few years time.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    3x 4k monitors, to 1080p VR sat an inch from your eyes.. Sucks to be you.

It's doesn't even look a patch on my 1440p monitor. Your expectations are FAR to high. If you can get past the sde/resolution there is an amazing experience to be had. But I'm thinking yours is going to be on E-bay very soon.

Come back in about 10 years.

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 729
    Trinity
    I use a 55" ultrawide 4k (4096x2160" as my gaming monitor.  even my DK2 stll excites me.

basically, its you.
  • wickfutwickfut Posts: 202
    Art3mis
    Yes OP. it's all your fault for having too high expectations, that just because it's 2016 a video display device shouldn't have to look like it's over 480p
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    wickfut said:
    Yes OP. it's all your fault for having too high expectations, that just because it's 2016 a video display device shouldn't have to look like it's over 480p

This is VR and until P.C.s get fast enough that is what we are stuck with. The P.C. is the limiting factor. Upping the resolution isn't a massive problem. Getting a p.c. to be able to run that resolution is the problem.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    Brain Burst
    Thug said:
    See I have a different view on it.
    I too have a gaming chair, butt kickers and simvibe and love Pcars, Assetto Corsa and Dirt for sim racing (even more so when VR is implemented for AC and Dirt).
    I would rather play in VR than with 3 monitors all day long.
    I like to look around and see nothing but the game for full immersion.
    I don't want too look around and see my cat licking its privates and my empty breakfast bowl.
    I can live with the negatives of VR as I think they by far outweigh the positives of 3 monitors.
    Interesting input as it seems we have very similar use cases (and should do some racing - ross at jasbone dawt com if you'd like).  I think the only comment I disagree on (and of course these are opinions and not facts) is the looking around aspect.  I find that when I'm driving and basically looking straight out about 50' in front of the car with a few degrees left/right to look through a corner that my vision is fully immersed with my 3 27" monitors.  If I look down sure I don't see a display but I see the reality that is my wheel, shifter, and all my hardware so in some ways that feels far more real than seeing VR versions of it in super low-res (compared).  Again all personal opinions so thanks for sharing.
    Trinity
    Talking about low Field Of View, this for me actually works as an advantage in racing sims.
    ALL racers will wear a helmet and have a limited FOV, so I believe it's more realistic.
  • wickfutwickfut Posts: 202
    Art3mis

This is VR and until P.C.s get fast enough that is what we are stuck with. The P.C. is the limiting factor. Upping the resolution isn't a massive problem. Getting a p.c. to be able to run that resolution is the problem.
    My PC is able to run higher res, it's other peoples which are lowering the standard.