cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HATE my Rift and I'm both confused and disappointed

Exigeous
Protege
First let me say I don't mean this to be a rant post but rather more of a gut check - in many ways I want to make sure that there isn't something wrong with either me gear (CV1), myself (physically?) or simply my expectations (likely). So let me explain as briefly as I can as I really do want some feedback and input from you guys.

First a bit about me and my system.  I've worked in IT for 20+ years, mostly networking and management.  I've been a gamer since I was about 8, my parents literally had the first consumer Pong game then quickly Atari 2400.  I've been through all the consoles but have mostly been a PC gamer since my 20's with periods of heavy gaming (20+ hours a week) or little gaming (1 hour per 20 weeks).  Currently I have an extremely high end cockpit based sim racing system.  3 27" 4K monitors, 2 Titan Z cards, 6770k, 32GB Ram, RAID0 250GB SSD, etc. etc.  Pretty much spared no expense.  a 5 way ButtKicker vibration system and multiple high end wheels/joysticks from Thrustmaster, Fanatac, etc. etc. (way too much to list).  I'm mostly a sim racer (real racing instructor in real life, race a Lotus Exige) so my entire system is based around racing, mostly Project Cars, iRacing and Dirt Rally.  I do play some flight sims like Elite Dangerous so I was pretty psyched with Eve: Valkerie.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way - don't at all want to seem like a douche/ass/prick, but also want to show that I do know what I'm talking about and am not some total newbie idiot.  I've been sold on VR for a long time, in concept anyway and believe that 20+ years from now we'll look back on it as the 2nd big shift in computing, after the IBM Jr. / Home PC.  I haven't used DK2 in a very long time as when I did it was far too low quality for me with the SDE (screen door effect) way too intense.  I'm somewhat overly sensitive to that as I'm also a home theatre buff and had one of the early home theatre projectors back in the mid-90's, a Sharp HomeVision that was something like 640x480 so at 100" HUGE SDE.  I knew that was a small issue still with most reviews saying it went away almost instantly as everything else is so good and intense.  Ok, let's get started with my issues.

The SDE is HUGE.  As in I can't stand it HUGE.  It's an issue everywhere.  It doesn't go away and I can never stop seeing it.  Even in a dark game like Eve I see it constantly and can't stop letting it drive me crazy.  It's like it's just constantly ruining everything for me.  Next I'm constantly seeing a blur from the lenses to my eyes.  I think it's something to do with the moisture that develops on my cheeks almost instantly.  I keep 3 fans pointed at my face with one pointing up from underneath to get some airflow into the headset and while that helps it doesn't eliminate the sweat.  I'm seated (in my Obutto Ozone cockpit) in a basement room that's very cool compared to the house (probably 65 at the highest) so not a hot room.  After 20+ minutes of time I have to take the headset off for a few minutes to cool my face off and let all the sweat dry enough to get another 10-20 minutes.

When I play Project Cars my thoughts are "this looks horrible, the graphics quality is awful and the SDE is HUGE".  The reviews I read are exactly the opposite, they talk about how amazing it looks, they can't believe their eyes, they are "driving a car" not playing a game.  For me I couldn't feel more the opposite.  When I play my 3 27" setup, on full Ultra at 90+ FPS it looks STUNNING.  Everyone that plays it can't believe how real and amazing it looks.  I put on the headset and it's like I've stepped back 10 years in quality.  It's blurry (as previously noted) and again the SDE is huge.  I swear I keep thinking they put DK2 screens in my CV1 headset.

So, ok, that's enough for now.  I have many other complaints, in fact the only thing I can say good about it is the head tracking is incredibly perfect and smooth.  I am pretty blown away they can do that so perfectly without it ever once jumping or glitching, it really is impressive.  Everything else to my eyes, well, sucks.  I just read someone's first impression of the Dinosaur that attacks you in the theatre and how incredible it was.  My first impression of that was "are you kidding, this looks AWFUL."

Is it me???  If so please help me fix me??  Do I just have far too high expectations??  Help me please?!?!?!  🙂

-Ross
154 REPLIES 154

Grimfist
Protege
I have similiar setup with you Ross but i play flight/space sim games. I know what you are talking about. Resolution is bad, i hate seeing pixels. Fow is toi narrow and the god rays are annoying. I dont get moisture very often, but when i do i swipe the lenses with microfiber cloth that was included, no break needed. When i put my rift on i feel that im exchanging quality on headtracking. It looks far from good.. forexample war thunder and in elite dangerous its impossible to see what direction are enemy planes/ships going when chasing them you only see blur ehen after them.. But the feeling of actually being in the cockpit in vr is so much better compared to sitting in your obutto even with multiple screens. Maybe its differend in race games but when flying, vr is so much better even with its flaws.

This is 1st generation vr "consumer version 1". We are pioneers on adopting vr. It will get better next gen and after that.

Exigeous
Protege
Wow guys, first thanks so much for taking the time to reply and also for doing so in such a constructive manner.  I was so worried I was going to come off like some total elitist prick that I was going to get torn apart for sure - so I appreciate you guys taking the right perspective here.  Very impressed with something finally!  🙂

So it does seem that I'm "right" in that my perceptions are just way too high.  I knew that I had high hopes but after the countless Youtube reviews just fawning over the thing (oh you are so right that anyone can be a "reviewer" these days) I just knew it had to be me.  You guys have confirmed everything I suspected.

To answer a few questions yes, I'm a hot kinda guy and break a sweat just thinking about breaking a sweat.  I'm thin and fit but still just sweat like crazy, always have so I assume that's just me and I can't give them too much crap for that.  That is why I had fans setup and ready to go before my CV1 arrived, hell I use them when just sim racing at my full 3 monitor setup as I get hot then.

I think the blur effect I'm getting is what people are calling "God Rays", does that sound right?  That and the SDE just completely destroy the immersion for me.  I haven't even talked about the extremely limited FOV either, that also kills me.  I'm used to my 3 27" displays that are something like 5 feet wide so almost my entire FOV is display.  I knew the Rift would be smaller but I feel like I'm playing/driving in a tiny box and it again kills the immersion.  I also hadn't really considered that due to the headset I now can't see all my hardware, of which I have a ton.  Not only my full cockpit system but my wheel, sequential shifter, mechanical handbrake, h-pattern shifter, 30 button dash system, Fanatec ClubSport Wheel, 2 Android devices for telemetry, and my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Joystick.  I'm realizing I both need and want to see these things.  These make my experience far more real and immersive than a crappy VR headset.  I guess that's why the headset was $600 and all my hardware gear was $6000 (well not that much but still).

I think one of you hit this on the head - it really is far more for casual or less focused gaming than my high end simulator racing is.  I know that I'm at the high end of gaming but sorta assumed the Rift was there with me and that I wasn't that alone at the 1% I'm at (if you get my drift).  Again I don't mean that to sound douchy, I know the Rift is for high end gamers but more for guys with a single screen setup (maybe 3) that use just a keyboard/mouse or controller for their games.  It's just not there for someone looking for a fully immersive virtual racing system.  While that's a bummer for me fortunately I LOVE my current setup (it really is quite amazing) and I can make a profit reselling my Rift! 🙂  Oh, and I'll leave with this - here's a quick video I did detailing my setup a while back when I had 1 Titan Z and 1080p displays.  Most everything else is the same as today with a few minor things (android displays, handbrake, etc.).  This will show you where I'm coming from at least (or maybe how big a douche I really am!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlRHZTCTf4o (actually it's a bit older than I remembered)

Again thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like it's going on Craigslist tonight!

-Ross

Thug
Heroic Explorer
You are expecting too much. Your are trying to compare 3x 27" 4K resolutions from 2 foot away to a far lower resolution tiny screen from 2" away.
Try to enjoy the game/experience and not look at the negatives.
CPU: Intel i9-10990k.
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX3080,
RAM: 32GB DDR5,
Viewed on: Oculus Quest 2 or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung SSD (games), 512GB Samsung SSD (OS), 512GB SSD (3d),

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a thought, Ross, but you said the FOV was a big problem for you. Have you looked into Vive at all? I can't compare the two, as I only have Vive, but the FOV is supposed to be noticeably better on Vive. Although of course, this is offset by an apparent slight increase in SDE, so may not appeal. The Vive headset also has a built in camera, so you can actually see things without having to remove the HMD.

Exigeous
Protege
Unfortunately I now think you're totally right Thug, sorta bummed I had such unrealistic expectations.  For the type of gaming I do these days, 95% sim racing, it seems VR isn't even close to where I'd like or need it to be.  Fortunately I love my existing setup so I'll make a profit on my Rift and wait for the next big thing.  Already waiting for the benchmarks on SLI 1080GTX vs. my dual (really quad) Titan Zs.....

Again thanks all, I should have posted this weeks ago!!!

-Ross

VrSponge
Expert Protege
Twice in the video it appears water or something is leaking from above(Like right after you show the shiftier)
You don't want that on your electronics..................just saying 🙂

Oblongship
Heroic Explorer

Exigeous said:

Wow guys, first thanks so much for taking the time to reply and also for doing so in such a constructive manner.  I was so worried I was going to come off like some total elitist prick that I was going to get torn apart for sure - so I appreciate you guys taking the right perspective here.  Very impressed with something finally!  🙂

So it does seem that I'm "right" in that my perceptions are just way too high.  I knew that I had high hopes but after the countless Youtube reviews just fawning over the thing (oh you are so right that anyone can be a "reviewer" these days) I just knew it had to be me.  You guys have confirmed everything I suspected.

To answer a few questions yes, I'm a hot kinda guy and break a sweat just thinking about breaking a sweat.  I'm thin and fit but still just sweat like crazy, always have so I assume that's just me and I can't give them too much crap for that.  That is why I had fans setup and ready to go before my CV1 arrived, hell I use them when just sim racing at my full 3 monitor setup as I get hot then.

I think the blur effect I'm getting is what people are calling "God Rays", does that sound right?  That and the SDE just completely destroy the immersion for me.  I haven't even talked about the extremely limited FOV either, that also kills me.  I'm used to my 3 27" displays that are something like 5 feet wide so almost my entire FOV is display.  I knew the Rift would be smaller but I feel like I'm playing/driving in a tiny box and it again kills the immersion.  I also hadn't really considered that due to the headset I now can't see all my hardware, of which I have a ton.  Not only my full cockpit system but my wheel, sequential shifter, mechanical handbrake, h-pattern shifter, 30 button dash system, Fanatec ClubSport Wheel, 2 Android devices for telemetry, and my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Joystick.  I'm realizing I both need and want to see these things.  These make my experience far more real and immersive than a crappy VR headset.  I guess that's why the headset was $600 and all my hardware gear was $6000 (well not that much but still).

I think one of you hit this on the head - it really is far more for casual or less focused gaming than my high end simulator racing is.  I know that I'm at the high end of gaming but sorta assumed the Rift was there with me and that I wasn't that alone at the 1% I'm at (if you get my drift).  Again I don't mean that to sound douchy, I know the Rift is for high end gamers but more for guys with a single screen setup (maybe 3) that use just a keyboard/mouse or controller for their games.  It's just not there for someone looking for a fully immersive virtual racing system.  While that's a bummer for me fortunately I LOVE my current setup (it really is quite amazing) and I can make a profit reselling my Rift! 🙂  Oh, and I'll leave with this - here's a quick video I did detailing my setup a while back when I had 1 Titan Z and 1080p displays.  Most everything else is the same as today with a few minor things (android displays, handbrake, etc.).  This will show you where I'm coming from at least (or maybe how big a douche I really am!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlRHZTCTf4o (actually it's a bit older than I remembered)

Again thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like it's going on Craigslist tonight!

-Ross

Hey bud,

Personally I wouldn't sell it and keep it because perhaps an experience you may like will come out of it.

If not, I would maybe setup an auction and list it here. It would be nice to help at least one Rifter here get theirs earlier.

Thug
Heroic Explorer
See I have a different view on it.
I too have a gaming chair, butt kickers and simvibe and love Pcars, Assetto Corsa and Dirt for sim racing (even more so when VR is implemented for AC and Dirt).
I would rather play in VR than with 3 monitors all day long.
I like to look around and see nothing but the game for full immersion.
I don't want too look around and see my cat licking its privates and my empty breakfast bowl.
I can live with the negatives of VR as I think they by far outweigh the positives of 3 monitors.
CPU: Intel i9-10990k.
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX3080,
RAM: 32GB DDR5,
Viewed on: Oculus Quest 2 or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung SSD (games), 512GB Samsung SSD (OS), 512GB SSD (3d),

Exigeous
Protege

notsram said:

Just a thought, Ross, but you said the FOV was a big problem for you. Have you looked into Vive at all? I can't compare the two, as I only have Vive, but the FOV is supposed to be noticeably better on Vive. Although of course, this is offset by an apparent slight increase in SDE, so may not appeal. The Vive headset also has a built in camera, so you can actually see things without having to remove the HMD.

Thanks for the input on the Vive - given the comment on SDE I'd probably like it less but I am very interested to try it.  I virtually never "play" anywhere but my racing cockpit, when not it's usually a little casual gaming in bed.  Due to that I wasn't as interested in the Vive as it's far more geared toward full virtual movement which, at the time, I have no interest in (other than seeing a cool demo).  That said I do think the camera addition was genius on HTCs part and my guess is that will quickly become a standard for VR headsets in the future.

VrSponge said:

Twice in the video it appears water or something is leaking from above(Like right after you show the shiftier)

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're seeing in the video - just not making it out myself - but there is no water or any other fluids in the room, save for the drink that may or may not be in my cup holder down at the base of the seat.  No water cooling for this system, had one years ago and while I'm sure they are better than one was a major PITA and leaked all the time.  Didn't even do any OC'ing as with this system why would/should I need?  Thanks for bringing it up though, appreciated.

Oblongship said:
Hey bud,

Personally I wouldn't sell it and keep it because perhaps an experience you may like will come out of it.

If not, I would maybe setup an auction and list it here. It would be nice to help at least one Rifter here get theirs earlier.

Thanks for the tip - didn't even know that existed.  I'll go have a look as I'd agree with that, I'd rather help/benefit those that frequent the forum.  That said quick cash from CL is appealing...

-Ross

Exigeous
Protege

notsram said:

Thanks for the input on the Vive - given the comment on SDE I'd probably like it less but I am very interested to try it.  I virtually never "play" anywhere but my racing cockpit, when not it's usually a little casual gaming in bed.  Due to that I wasn't as interested in the Vive as it's far more geared toward full virtual movement which, at the time, I have no interest in (other than seeing a cool demo).  That said I do think the camera addition was genius on HTCs part and my guess is that will quickly become a standard for VR headsets in the future.

VrSponge said:

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're seeing in the video - just not making it out myself - but there is no water or any other fluids in the room, save for the drink that may or may not be in my cup holder down at the base of the seat.  No water cooling for this system, had one years ago and while I'm sure they are better than one was a major PITA and leaked all the time.  Didn't even do any OC'ing as with this system why would/should I need?  Thanks for bringing it up though, appreciated.

Oblongship said:
Hey bud,

Thanks for the tip - didn't even know that existed.  I'll go have a look as I'd agree with that, I'd rather help/benefit those that frequent the forum that's helping me vs. random Craiglister.  That said cash and ease of CL does sound nice...