New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Rift is awesome!

Roming22Roming22 Posts: 141
Art3mis
Here, I said it.

I got mine today and got to play with it for a couple of hours, and I really enjoyed it.

Seeing the T.Rex in Dreamdeck was incredible, pretending to dodge bullets as if I was in Matrix in Unreal Showdown made me laugh, and flying my Asp Explorer on a short trip made me, I can't, just whoa!

Sure it is not perfect, but I'm sold on the experience.

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,008 Valuable Player
    Having fun training your VR legs! And be sure to check out the free content on Steam for the Rift. The demo to Time Machine VR is pretty awesome.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Cmndr-HillCmndr-Hill Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    Great news!!
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    @Roming22 : Nice 1, man! My pre-order was at 47m, seems like they're getting quite close to those kind of times shipping in Europe. So close I can almost smell it! Does it have a strong "new Rift" smell, btw? That seems to have gone unmentioned for a while.
  • DoctorFateDoctorFate Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    It's good to see all of this movement all of a sudden, and on average even in the US they are finally getting ahead of their estimated. My own day one order with the first 25 minutes was an estimate of 5/23-6/2 and processed 5/13 and will arrive tomorrow. Installing all the games today while at work (well outside of Chronos since for some reason I totally forgot to buy that game before heading out) so that I'm good to go as soon as UPS delivers tomorrow.
  • pedrwpedrw Posts: 760
    Trinity
    edited May 2016
    It's finally happening! My rift also is coming! I'm very happy! (xx31xx UK) :):)

Finalmente meu Rift está chegando em Portugal (Lisboa), a partir de Londres!  :)
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Enjoy it!, I would recommend you download and install the software now so its ready to go when your rift arrives.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • Roming22Roming22 Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Having fun training your VR legs! And be sure to check out the free content on Steam for the Rift. The demo to Time Machine VR is pretty awesome.
    Fortunately, I've never been subject to motion sickness, and did not feel bad when I put the Rift down. But I might wait a bit before I roam around in the SRV, as I was told this was quite the stomach upsetter.

I tired BigScreen as well, and I just laughed when I joined the multiplayer section, as it was just plain cool...

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to try Time Machine VR.
  • Roming22Roming22 Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    @Roming22 : Nice 1, man! My pre-order was at 47m, seems like they're getting quite close to those kind of times shipping in Europe. So close I can almost smell it! Does it have a strong "new Rift" smell, btw? That seems to have gone unmentioned for a while.
    I did not notice any smell...
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

Yes, it absolutely has new Rift smell.  The units being shipped now arrive direct from China and are sent for distribution with minimal delay.  Any new plastics will off-gas for a while, so your Rift will smell very chemical when you first open the packaging.  New car smell is the same thing, and yes it's usually toxic.  I recommend you open the Rift packaging as soon as possible and leave the components sitting out for a few hours before doing the setup.  I know, fat chance when you've already waited this long.

Still, mine took about 2-3 days before the smell was below detection threshold. 

On the plus side it doesn't have a long term "Chinese glue" smell like the DK2 did.  My DK2 still smells funny.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    Awesome news! Mine shipped out yesterday and should be here by Thursday, can't wait!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,254 Volunteer Moderator
    Ugh, my DK2 still stinks. I hope my CV1 won't be as bad--I'll know in a couple more days!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • HornyyyHornHornyyyHorn Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    The smell will be gone in two weeks. I liked it. :smile: the Rift is a real nice thing, love it!
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:
    The demo to Time Machine VR is pretty awesome.
    That game slipped under my radar. Just tried it. Looks very promising! I may well buy it once it's a bit more complete .

(I hate it when they put early access games out. I know it can make a studio a bit of money to help them keep going till the game is ready, but it's pretty pointless getting too far into a game as you never know when they're going to change some major and force you to start from scratch)