New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Revive 0.5.1 - Now adds Oculus Games to your steam library

mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
Neo
edited May 2016 in General
0.5.1 Update:

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/tag/0.5.1

This is a hotfix release that adds logging functionality to the Revive Dashboard and Injector, the logs are located in %APPDATA%\Revive.
There have also been some stability/bug fixes:
  • Fixed a crash with the Revive Dashboard if it started before SteamVR has fully initialized.
  • ReviveInjector now ignores the current working directory when finding the libraries.

Just noticed that revive 0.5 has been released and sounds very promising. Will have to give it a go tonight.

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/tag/0.5
Changes
This release adds SteamVR integration to Revive. The Revive installer will install an application that monitors the installed Oculus Home games and allows them to be started from your VR dashboard. The list of Oculus Home games is refreshed each time SteamVR is started.
New features
  • Added Revive dashboard integration.
  • Automatically add Oculus Home games to your Steam Library.
  • Added experimental OpenGL support.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed incorrect IPD information being shown in Technolust (#45).
  • Fixed incorrect tracker orientation (#20).

Tagged:

Comments

• mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
    Neo
    Just downloaded it and it looks great. There is now an extra icon at the bottom next Steam, Desktop, Vive - there is now revive. Clicked on that and there is all my Oculus games, only tried Luckys Tale but it seems to be working perfect. 
  • JED44JED44 Posts: 448 Poster of the Week
    I have an issue where I see revive and all the oculus icons, but when I click them it closes and nothing happens. I try to open luckys tale from the executable and it says 1.0.3 and headset not found. Would anyone happen to know how to get around this or have seem similar issues? 
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    Did you make sure Visual C++ 2015 was already installed? Everything I tried worked great except Mythos which crashed, but that just brought up an unreal message on the desktop. Did you restart Steam VR and you could also try starting with home open and closed. Mine worked with home closed but maybe your Oculus runtime was stopped? Also my OH, Steam VR and Revive injector are all installed in default locations, not sure if that will make a difference or not.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,013 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    Am I the only one who is happy to have a game suite that isn't Steam? I've used Steam for a few years, and it's nice n' all; but I only used it because I didn't have much choice. I'm an old school gamer and I was used to buying gaming boxes at the store (e.g., Best Buy), and coming home to unveil the CD/DVD like it was Christmas morning.

I had great memories after opening: WarCraft 2; Diablo (the original); Stonekeep; IceWind Dale; Thief; Dungeon Keeper. To name a few.

It wasn't until I started to see the PC Game shelf decreasing in size that I realized the gaming world had moved to Steam. Thus I followed out of necessity.

Now with Oculus Home I feel like I'm back to where I was "in the good 'ol days." Standing in my Oculus Apartment navigating through a virtual list feels like things are right in the world again.

Just me? lol :o

I'm not knocking Steam nor this cool update. I love the way everything is integrating; but reading the thread took me down memory lane. Apologies for the diary entry.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • wickfutwickfut Posts: 202
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Am I the only one who is happy to have a game suite that isn't Steam? I've used Steam for a few years, and it's nice n' all; but I only used it because I didn't have much choice. I'm an old school gamer and I was used to buying gaming boxes at the store (e.g., Best Buy), and coming home to unveil the CD/DVD like it was Christmas morning.

I had great memories after opening: WarCraft 2; Diablo (the original); Stonekeep; IceWind Dale; Thief; Dungeon Keeper. To name a few.

It wasn't until I started to see the PC Game shelf decreasing in size that I realized the gaming world had moved to Steam. Thus I followed out of necessity.

Now with Oculus Home I feel like I'm back to where I was "in the good 'ol days." Standing in my Oculus Apartment navigating through a virtual list feels like things are right in the world again.

I'm not knocking Steam nor this cool update. I love the way everything is integrating; but reading the thread took me down memory lane. Apologies for the diary entry.
    Yes, it's just you.  You're the only one who wants their game library spread all over the place on CD/DVD. I don't even have a drive in my PC, neither does my case have the space for one. I even buy the digital versions of PS4 games. 
    It's actually a pain in the arse having GOG, Origin and Uplay. I wish they could all be in one place. 

Neo
    @Zenbane I prefer Oculus Home to steam but at the moment I only have my Vive and my CV1 is about a month away so at the moment this lets me play my Oculus Home games on my Vive which is quite cool.

They both have positives and negatives but I found Oculus Home very user friendly, it still needs work but its new and will evolve into something very good im sure. Steam too has its positives like being able to buy credit which you can usually get for about 90% of the value, I would say the reviews are a good thing but they can also be manipulated. 

As for content Steam has more but it has a lot of dross where as I think Oculus Home had less but better quality. 

I don't see the harm in using both and I will have too as I will have both a Vive and Rift, but I would like it if there was a good 3rd party VR app that let you have all your VR content in one place and load up games on either steam vr or Oculus Home.
    edited May 2016
    @mambo1888 - definitely no harm at all in using both. In fact, lately I've been using Steam VR to play "Legend of Grimrock 2" using the VR Theater. It's pretty cool playing standard games this way, although the screen judders/flickers from time to time. But like all things, in time I'm sure both Steam VR and Oculus Home will make great strides.

I guess I was just speaking more towards the nostalgia that Oculus Home delivers; and I was curious if anyone else encountered it. ;)
    Neo
    @Zenbane I tried playing a couple of games on the virtual theatre mode in VorpX back with the DK2, it seemed pretty smooth, Ive not tried the steam version. It was quite good fun but I didn't play for too long as since I started playing in VR my interest in playing anything non vr is not there anymore. 

Your right about Steam VR and Oculus Home, they will both progress over time and im sure a healthy rivalry between the two will help them both succeed and improve.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:

I sort of miss those days too. The days when you had to order a game by sending in a mail order form and then wait several weeks for it to arrive. Some of those boxes were amazing. I used to have shelves filled with PC game boxes.

But... it's the way of the world these days that few people still buy boxed games, CDs etc. Even films are heading that way too. Movie sales are healthy, but more and more people are downloading films rather than buying the DVD/Blu-ray. And whilst the boxes do look nice, and it just feels better somehow to hold a product you've bought in your hands, I appreciate the extra space now the boxes are gone!
    Wintermute
    JED44 said:
    I have an issue where I see revive and all the oculus icons, but when I click them it closes and nothing happens. I try to open luckys tale from the executable and it says 1.0.3 and headset not found. Would anyone happen to know how to get around this or have seem similar issues? 
    I'm getting this too. Got a bit of unexpected free time today, so I'm going to have a play around and see if I can work out what I've done wrong. Will let you know if I find out what's causing it!
    Neo
    @JED44 @notsram There are guys having this issue and opened a thread on github might be worth keeping an eye on this to see if someone comes up with a solution.
    Wintermute
    mambo1888 said:
    @JED44 @notsram There are guys having this issue and opened a thread on github might be worth keeping an eye on this to see if someone comes up with a solution.
    Already watching it. But thanks for the heads up :)

Things I've tried so far... Downloaded the latest C++ 2015 from Microsoft. Deleted the old ones and installed these. Completely rebooting the Oculus runtime from the beta menu. Various restarts. Starting an Oculus game both with and without Oculus running.

No joy yet.
    Neo
    Where are your programs installed are they all in default locations?

Wintermute
    edited May 2016
    Oculus is. Steam is on my D: drive. I installed Revive to my D: drive too, but have just uninstalled and reinstalled to the default location. I'm not sure it's a directory issue, or the games wouldn't be showing up at all in SteamVR, but I'll give it a shot with Revive in the default place :)

*Edit* those D: were supposed to be D : !!
    @notsram thank you please let me know! I'm at work till later this evening so I don't have as much time to troubleshoot. Also I vote that that smiley should be the new D drive symbol lol. @Zenbane I do like the fact that oculus has its own store, it looks really polished and nice for having VR content all in one place. Though there are reasons steam has become the de facto game client in recent years. I've actually felt i was not being given a choice with other services like origin and uplay. I would rather have everything in one place. I only wish I could try oculus with my vive , but I just got my processing email so I'll see it first hand soon enough . Also I to miss the days of physical copies and nice game manuals to read on the way home. I've got 3 shelves full of all my old console games and there was something really satisfying about having the entire trilogy of something next to each other. But the extra space is also nice to have now. So it's been a trade off I suppose.
    notsram said:
    I sort of miss those days too. The days when you had to order a game by sending in a mail order form and then wait several weeks for it to arrive. Some of those boxes were amazing. I used to have shelves filled with PC game boxes.

But... it's the way of the world these days that few people still buy boxed games, CDs etc. Even films are heading that way too. Movie sales are healthy, but more and more people are downloading films rather than buying the DVD/Blu-ray. And whilst the boxes do look nice, and it just feels better somehow to hold a product you've bought in your hands, I appreciate the extra space now the boxes are gone!
    I've sold off most of my boxes, but I did keep a handful that I just couldn't part with, like WarCraft 2, Diablo, and the original Thief series. Now I just need to take 360 pictures of them all, and I can browse them in VR! I like where the world is heading now :)

@JED44 - yeah there's no doubt that Steam as a functional piece of software is outstanding. I suppose in my case I would say simply that the game I bought through Steam never really felt like "my own." It felt more like leasing a car. Whereas with Oculus Home I finally feel like the games are mine. That may seem stupid, and maybe it's because Oculus Home has pillows lol; but it's just the perception that makes the difference.

I can't wait to see how these products look in Christmas 2020!
    edited May 2016
    VR home retro mode - where you have to get up, sort through a virtual drawer of virtual game boxes to find the one you want to play, take the virtual disc out of the virtual box and put it in the virtual computer to play it. Nostalgia !
    Neo
    ZX spectrum loading screens in VR will be scarier than dreadhalls!!
    @notsram hey I got it to work by downloading the new updated installer. Lucky's Tale is a lot of fun and a great way to wind down when you want a more relaxed experience! My family and I just spent a little while playing it and after all the room scale experiences we were all pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed it.  
    Neo
    JED44 said:
    @notsram hey I got it to work by downloading the new updated installer. Lucky's Tale is a lot of fun and a great way to wind down when you want a more relaxed experience! My family and I just spent a little while playing it and after all the room scale experiences we were all pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed it.  
    Glad to hear you got it working. Luckys Tale is a really fun game, did you try the Dreamdeck demo? I really enjoyed playing that on my Vive as I could walk around the demos a bit more than I could when I first tried it on DK2. 
    Wintermute
    I gave up trying to get it to work. It wasn't worth all the time I was wasting with restarts, reinstallations etc. etc. when getting the games to run manually is so easy.

Haven't tried what you suggest yet though @JED44. Will maybe give it a shot later :)
    @mambo1888 I tried one or two but ended up running my father through the whole thing and he was pretty impressed , especially by the skyscraper and T. rex scenes, we also took a look at some of the short films. Personally I think the iron gaint short is amazing. We were both like ... Holy fuck it didn't look that big on the monitor ! Also if you haven't already the Disney VR jungle book experiences are fantastic . @notsram try checking r/vive for the original update thread and re download the installer from that page. Apparently it was updated a day or so ago.
    @Zenbane if you get a chance you should try out the jungle book and Star Wars Disney VR experiences on steam. The perspective is a little off in them but they are impressive nonetheless. The trust me scene is probably the best in the set
    Neo
    JED44 said:
    @mambo1888 I tried one or two but ended up running my father through the whole thing and he was pretty impressed , especially by the skyscraper and T. rex scenes, we also took a look at some of the short films. Personally I think the iron gaint short is amazing. We were both like ... Holy fuck it didn't look that big on the monitor ! Also if you haven't already the Disney VR jungle book experiences are fantastic . @notsram try checking r/vive for the original update thread and re download the installer from that page. Apparently it was updated a day or so ago.
    The Skyscraper is really cool, and the Sub at the start, I found these were a lot better on the Vive as I could really walk around and get right over the edge on the skyscraper. When I tried them on the DK2 I was restricted due to office space and the length of the cable.

I tried the jungle book ones yesterday id seen the King Louie one before on one of the 360 video apps but it seemed better probably because it was downloaded not streamed, the snake one was really good, showed the wife but she wouldnt keep her eyes open at the end 
    Wintermute
    Downloaded what I assume is the new installer. Hard to be sure as it seems to be the same filesize as the old one and has the same name. Deleted the old one, installed the new one, ran it and... got a message box saying I didn't have my Rift connected when I tried selecting a game in Steam. Restarted my PC and now I get the same as I had yesterday. A picture box saying my headset isn't plugged in.
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    tried this revive thing and it crashes all time I open it
    Neo
    Strange mine has been working perfectly. My steam VR is playing up at the moment and im not sure if its because of revive. I keep loosing connection with base stations and controllers are going a bit mental.
    @mambo1888  I actually have been having the same issues. I've adjusted my basestations slightly so I thought it might have to do with that. but maybe not. 

@notsram Ill upload the installer I have once I get finished with dinner,  and maybe that will work 
    Neo
    @JED44 I think there was a steam update earlier im not sure if its caused problems. Ive uninstalled revive and reinstalled Steam VR, but im still having problems with the base stations, and also the trigger is not selecting things from within steam VR, im verging on a clean install of windows and cleaning everything up a bit (got my eye on a sammy 1tb ssd, this could be the persuasion I need to pull the trigger if I need to reinstall windows anyway)

Was getting quite frustrated with the Vive earlier as I planned a full night of project cars but the latest patch has wrecked it for me, so I bought Assetto Corsa and couldnt get that working either. Hopefully il have better luck tomorrow.

@notsram looks like I cant actually send you the file. if you want to PM me an email I can send it to you there