cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Technology Preference Poll

OK after reading so many opinions on the lens technology used in CV1 compared to the DK2, I thought it would be interesting to poll everyone's opinion.

From my own experiences, the non-Fresnel lenses of the DK2 had more chromatic aberrations and a smaller sweet-spot but of course had no light rays. Everyone has their own opinion and so I'm curious to know where the overall preference lies.

I'm also curious to know how the opinions that are voiced in the forum effects those who haven't yet received their Rifts and if there is a gap between owners opinions and prospective owners opinions, because of reading the reviews. So thanks for your votes!

41 REPLIES 41

@mambo1888, that's a good question! i'd like to keep the Vive out of it really, as I don't know how the 2 compare in this regard... so go with the don't have CV1 option I think!

vinwij
Explorer
I just added a second to Fresnel Lenses. I've got both the DK2 and the CV1, and if I put on the DK2 now, I instantly get annoyed by the tiny sweetspot. Whenever I look sideways it blurs, my eyes start focussing and I tire very quickly, while the CV1 offers crystal clear vision all over and allows for so much more comfort.

In games like subnautica, that still has some hud elements on the side of your vision, DK2 is annoying as hell. The godrays actually look good underwater, and I definitly find them anything but disturbing. It looks like a sort of blooming.

Fresnel all the way, excellent tradeoff and I'm very happy with my CV1, what a complete joy to use!

@vinwij, maybe I should have tried my DK2 again just to make sure I don't have overly rose-tinted memories of it. It's all packed up now though so just trying to decide whether to sell or keep it as a future tech nostalgia piece.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

I loaned my DK2 to a friend while he waits for his Vive.  Which is really ironic since I'm a rabid Oculus fanboy.

Edit: Can't wait to see this one quoted out of context!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Anonymous
Not applicable
For me it's pretty simple:

DK2 Lens problems: always noticeable and always there

CV1 Lens problems: only sometimes there and can be ignored or worked around in colour choices in software

well so far, no clear winner

if nothing else, it makes me think both of the lens types are neither perfect nor a disaster!

Roaster
Rising Star

well so far, no clear winner

if nothing else, it makes me think both of the lens types are neither perfect nor a disaster!

That's true of the fresnels. They have no problems at all in many applications and are sharper than dk2.  Definitely not a disaster, and imo not a reason to give up the Rift.  Some areas ... it's less than ideal.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

There's maybe a bias in favour of the Fresnels emerging for the people who've tried it... and towards the non-Fresnels for people who haven't.

Could it be that negative opinions in forums affect prospective owners more than positive opinions???

Zandil
Rising Star
I HATED SDE and the tiny sweet spot in my DK2, the so called god rays are such a minor issue to me in my CV1.

For me the minor god ray issue far outweighs the plus of reduced SDE and bigger sweet spot. 

the SDE was probably down to the screen used and lower resolution of the DK2 more than the lens type but yeah, the rays are pretty minor for me too