New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Please let us disable or dismiss "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications"

Comments

• Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    EliteSPA said:
    Should be nice if someone could make a bat file for that.
    I did.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/364922/#Comment_364922

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,821 Volunteer Moderator
    Here's a bat file that does the same as the reg file, again just change txt to bat
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
    @Mace404, great minds think alike... our bats aren't exaclty the same thank goodness or people would accuse me of stealing!
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • blindrezoblindrezo Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2016
    I tried the registry edit.  It worked once, then never worked again.  And yes, I was running it every time before starting up Oculus Home.

As a matter of fact, I downloaded the compatibility checker and it even gave me the all green, but Oculus Home wasn't having it!  :(
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited April 2016
    blindrezo said:
    I tried the registry edit.  It worked once, then never worked again.  And yes, I was running it every time before starting up Oculus Home.  Other apps saw the change, but Oculus Home continued to complain. :(
    Thanks for sharing. I will try when Im back home.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • MicuMicu Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Yes I agree that disabling this message will be great! I7 3930 oc @4.8GHz
  • water_water_ Posts: 226
    Nexus 6
    I would think the message has to be there to protect oculus from the lawsuit by the first soccer-mom who's 12 year old vomits from using the rift on a toaster.

It's there to protect the children yall.
  • blindrezoblindrezo Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    @water_ - That's all fine and dandy, but Oculus should allow us the option to disable it.  They can even popup a message stating that by clicking on this, we agree to not blame Oculus for any problems that may occur, yada yada yada...  Something along those lines.  That's just my opinion.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    @water_  yes ... somebody think of the children!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    blindrezo said:
    @water_ - That's all fine and dandy, but Oculus should allow us the option to disable it.  They can even popup a message stating that by clicking on this, we agree to not blame Oculus for any problems that may occur, yada yada yada...  Something along those lines.  That's just my opinion.
    I agree, it would be nice to be able to toggle off display of this highly inaccurate warning.
  • Ricktor_BlackRicktor_Black Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    I wonder why they didn't do a test like Steam VR.  Here's a video from some guy on youtube.

They did... when the CV1 was announced I downloaded a little client which looked at my specs to tell me if my rig was "VR Ready".  I thought everybody did that?  Vavle's tool was a lot more fancier and more comprehensive, but they accomplished the same task.
    Nexus 6
    I wonder why they didn't do a test like Steam VR.  Here's a video from some guy on youtube.

They did... when the CV1 was announced I downloaded a little client which looked at my specs to tell me if my rig was "VR Ready".  I thought everybody did that?  Vavle's tool was a lot more fancier and more comprehensive, but they accomplished the same task.

Not entirely true.

Oculus did release a utility to test compatibility, but it wasn't the same sort of tool as Valve released.  Valve's tool was an actual benchmarking tool that ran through a VR scene and determined whether the performance of your setup was sufficient or not.  Oculus' tool was a hardware checklist tool that compared what it found on your system with a list of known, supported hardware.  For many people this might be functionally the same, for the people who tweak and overclock their systems it is quite different.
  • ten10ten10 Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    I even enjoy to see this message and still my "not really capabable" PC system runs just about anything fine (DK2).
    For instance:
    Valkyrie - fast and smooth  ... Lucky's Tale - fast and smooth ... The climb - fast and smooth ... Adrift - fast and smooth ... DCS World 1.5 and 2.0 - fast and mostly smooth ... and more ...
    So makes me feeling satisfied, that recommended PC specs aren't engraved in stone  ;) .
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    Ive got an i7 3930k @ 4GHz and have no issues at all but still get the message as its older than the minimum, I have to admit the sign is annoying and would probably break me down into upgrading for no reason. I got rid of the USB errors by fitting the Inatek USB PCIe card and disabling the Asmedia controllers so just the CPU causing it now.

EDIT:

@DaftnDirect Cheers, will give that a go. Is there anyway that could cause conflicts in the future or is it pretty safe?
    @mambo1888, sorry for the late response... no I'm not aware that changing that processor name in the registry causes any problems with any other processes or software. I haven't tested it for more then a few days though.
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
    Neo
    @mambo1888, sorry for the late response... no I'm not aware that changing that processor name in the registry causes any problems with any other processes or software. I haven't tested it for more then a few days though.
    Thanks, I actually sold my DK2 and im not expecting my CV1 for another month so ive not been using home recently anyway but will give it a go when I start using home again once I get my CV1.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    It doesn't bother me but may run the batch file to kill it before I demo it so they don't think I got cheap with my PC.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • r00xr00x Posts: 389
    Nexus 6
    This thread is making me feel like my observational skills are pathetic; I barely even notice the message is there, let alone have the energy to complain about it on the Internet! :P 

Just to make sure, are we all talking about the same thing here? That tiny, near-invisible message tucked away at the top of the Oculus Home window, nowhere near any interesting UI content and thus relegated to the fringes of my peripheral vision? That message, that I might have glanced at once, which for all intents and purposes has become effectively invisible since?

I 100% agree with the logic that it should be dismissable, but... meh.

Far more irritating is the stupid "try not to sprint into a wall/out a window/punch your wife in the face while enjoying VR" safety warning that you're forced to endure as if you have the memory of a goldfish and would otherwise trash your house if the message was ever skipped on launching a game. I deeply resent having to move my neck a couple of inches to glare at the dismissal text for two seconds, or god forbid, having to actually press a controller button, to skip that stupid message.

• FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    r00x said:
    <snip>
    Far more irritating is the stupid "try not to sprint into a wall/out a window/punch your wife in the face while enjoying VR" safety warning that you're forced to endure as if you have the memory of a goldfish and would otherwise trash your house if the message was ever skipped on launching a game. I deeply resent having to move my neck a couple of inches to glare at the dismissal text for two seconds, or god forbid, having to actually press a controller button, to skip that stupid message.
    <snip>

I wouldn't mind that so much, if it only showed up the first time your headset is switched on.  But noooo... every time you open something it's the same old story, almost as bad as UAC on Windows Vista :P

And totally unrelated but.. why oh why is the hour glass icon so damn huge and ugly.
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    My CPU should be fine (my not-overclocked i7 is benchmarked 30+% faster than the recommended). I suspect it doesn't like my older model GPU, though it does quite fine, no issues so far. But, still... yes, would be nice to able to disable the message, even if you have to run a command line (once) to disable it (you know, as a way to filter-out the totally computer illiterate :P from toggling it blindly).
  • NickytheHuttNickytheHutt Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    I will actually want that notification to stay there, because it's either that or no support at all considering who we're dealing with.

Squares.
    Nexus 6
    I will actually want that notification to stay there, because it's either that or no support at all considering who we're dealing with.

Squares.

More seriously, it is astounding that Oculus has not only *not* fixed this issue yet, but hasn't bothered to comment on their position regarding it.  It's another point in a list that reveals a certain amount of arrogance in Oculus dictating abnormal restrictions on their consumers.

Regarding the returns of purchases: Who knows, it's somewhere between 'no comment' and 'if reasonably asked we'll honor the request once' vs. an established policy with routine processing in Steam.

Regarding 'buy once, run on any supported platform': "It's up to vendors to implement" vs. it simply having always been that on Steam.

Regarding inaccurate and misleading warning banners that can't be disabled: Nothing, not even a 'no comment' comment vs. the problem not existing in Steam because they use an actual benchmark instead of a shopping list check and know better than to unnecessarily antagonize their customer base.

In terms of low hanging fruit, a toggle option for this warning should be the lowest of the low.  That they haven't even addressed the matter reveals a lack of responsiveness to customer concerns.
  • TabletopTabletop Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Need to be able to turn it off!  

My i7-3960X @ 4.4GHz easily surpasses an i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz in the PassMark single thread benchmark.
  • MotavarMotavar Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I would like to request a way to remove the annoying "Your computer doesn't meet the recommend specs" message as well.

I7-3770k running @ 4.6GHz on water.
  • o-Axle-oo-Axle-o Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    +1 for option to acknowledge and remove message.
  • DanosDanos Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    +1 for an option to acknowledge. My i7-3820 runs at 4.2 GHz, that's definetely enough. Besides from that, a GPU is much more important for VR gaming - everything runs like a charm on my GTX 980. I also don't know why the software wants me to update my Fresco Logic USB driver. Device Manager says there is no new update. Furthermore, it is not important if I have another USB 3.0 driver for different USB 3.0 ports. I don't use them with my Rift, so why should I disable those ports? 
  • DanosDanos Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Okay... Fixed the update USB driver warning by using this (https://support.zoho.com/portal/frescologic/home) from the manufacturer instead of Microsoft's generic driver. But still get that annoying message because of my CPU... D:
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    A useful post by @BitVar to remedy this:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36677/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message

I haven't tested it myself, as I have an above minimum CPU. Looks super legit though. B)
  • narcolepsynarcolepsy Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I totally agrees, it's stupid for not able to dismiss it. 970 + overclocked i7 920 are ok for most games.
  • narcolepsynarcolepsy Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    I totally agrees, it's stupid for not able to dismiss it. 970 + overclocked i7 920 are ok for most games.
    Please delete the in-app floating message also !