cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to give up on HTC Vive (Have given up)

mambo1888
Rising Star
UPDATE:

I ended up getting rid of my Vive and cutting my losses. I had a very difficult time dealing with their customer support who in several instances were very rude, I honestly think they are acting this way to provoke you into loosing the plot with them. The issue that I had was 7 stuck pixels in the middle of the right display that were visible during gameplay. Some people got an RMA and had the problem fixed while others got an RMA and were sent the headset back unfixed as they have decided its not a problem and "will not affect the whole user experience"

Just want to make people aware of this because if you have this you will need to report it in the first 14 days to have a better chance of getting your money back, as they are not going to repair them now, I would advise getting a refund and trying again if you really want a working one. Or wait till they are retail and get from Amazon as their excellent customer service wont put up with this from HTC.

Below is the last message I received from HTC customer support...

Thank you for contacting HTC Customer Support Center. 
In regards to your reply, kindly note that we do apologize for any inconvenience caused.
In case if you are interested to send the device to be checked or repaired, please note that we will be more than happy to further assist in this case.
However, bear in mind that the repair center will return your HTC Vive unit with no faulty found as HTC updated us before that the stuck or the green pixels are from the SPECS of the HTC Vive and it will not affect the whole user experience.
Finally, it will be your decision by the end but bear in mind that we will not be able to change the fact that these pixels are from the SPECS of the HTC Vive and the repair center will send the HMD back with a quotation No Faulty Found.
We appreciate your feedback and comments. 
Also, we value your time and patience. 
If you have any other inquiries, don't hesitate to contact us again. 
For further details, please note that you can contact us via support line or via email following the below link: 
Http: https://support.htc.com/en ;
Thank you so much for using HTC products. 
Respect & Regards, 
HTC Technical Support Team 
http://www.htc.com ;
Just a heads up for anyone yet to recieve their Vive to check it out and act fast if you have a problem.

Original Issues, aside from stuck pixels:

I have been having a lot of issues with my Vive over the last couple of days and Im ready to throw in the towel. I was thinking that I will loose a lot of money Ive invested in Games but I just looked and they are all purchased less than 14 days ago and played under 2 hours, and any that are playable with Rift I can keep, so I should hopefully be able to get them refunded.

I am having issues with base stations not connecting, had issues with controllers not working properly and the steam VR app was not functioning properly. Tried lots of things, including repairing controllers, using sync cable for base stations, restarts, re doing setup etc, but I have lost confidence that I can get it set up and it will just keep working. 

Ive been through all the troubleshooting guides but doesn't seem to help. Unfortunately  the HTC Vive equivalent of these forums on Steam I have found not to be very good and not as helpful

I hadnt used my DK2 for a while and when I found out it worked with the new Oculus Home 1.3 I decided to give it a go. It was given a whole new lease of life and everything just worked plain and simple. It got me excited about VR again and I ended up getting a Vive as I still had a while before my CV1 was due. Since getting the Vive it feels like a step back in many ways, having to mess about trying to get things working as they should, like my time with the Development Kit. I could live with all the messing about with the DK2 because thats what I signed up for when I bought a development kit, but this is £800 consumer product (I know its still very early but still I cant help get annoyed when it keeps throwing problems)

My rifts shipping estimate is by the 16th of next month, so Im seriously considering giving up on the Vive and trying to get my games refunded while I still can, and come back to the Vive when the problems are ironed out or Vive 2. Wish I never sold my DK2 now as my decision would be a lot easier.

What to do??
59 REPLIES 59

mambo1888
Rising Star

mambo1888 said:

There is a lot of wifi equipment and bluetooth right next to one of the base stations 

That right there is most likely the problem.

For peace of mind try temporarily setting it up in another room if you can just to rule out faulty base stations.

I don't really have anywhere else I could try. I might try turning all the other equipment off to see how that works out. I would like to make sure theres nothing faulty before selling on, so il give this a go.

LeeG_UK
Expert Protege

I've had the Vive for coming up to 4 weeks. The only issue I have is when I get very close to a glass door, a controller might drift slightly. As this is only a tiny area inside the play zone, it's not really a problem.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? There may be someone nearby who could assist.

mambo1888
Rising Star

LeeG_UK said:

I've had the Vive for coming up to 4 weeks. The only issue I have is when I get very close to a glass door, a controller might drift slightly. As this is only a tiny area inside the play zone, it's not really a problem.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? There may be someone nearby who could assist.

Thanks Lee

Ive decided im going to sell it as the more I think about it the less I can justify having the 2 and I think the Rift will suit me better with regards to space and the games I play. Im going to mess about with it today as I dont want to sell it to someone if its faulty. I think theres a guy I worked with that has one, but hes offshore at the moment so will need to wait till he gets back to compare.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
have you updated the bios in your controllers? pretty sure i remember there was a day 1 bios update needed.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

mambo1888
Rising Star
@bigmike20vt Yeah mate, well the firmware got updated the first day. I have tried resetting them too and re pairing them. The main issue with the controllers was they were not selecting anything from within inside Steam VR, I googled that problem and other people have had the same issue but at different points so not sure what could be causing it although I have a feeling it might have something to do with the track pad, as sometimes that seems to activate by itself. You can recalibrate the controllers which I tried doing but not sure if it actually done anything there was no indication to do anything after I pressed the button combination.

mambo1888
Rising Star
Got to say Im very pleased with steam support. I requested a refund on 6 games that I had bought and wouldnt be able to use with my Rift, that was done just before 11am and they have already processed a refund for all games. They were all within the 14 days and the 2 hours playtime most of them under 40 minutes, but even one had 2 hours playtime was refunded so hats of to them for that. It now means I have a load of steam wallet wonga for any rift games that I can buy through Steam. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary
if you do not have them Assetto corsa, ETS2 , pCARs and Elite Dangerous Horizons should be on your list. (AC & ETS2  are the only ones not on the oculus store but TBH if you think there is a chance you will ever ditch oculus and go to another HMD then imo all your non exclusive games should be bought outside of oculus imo until it is an open store.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

mambo1888
Rising Star
Yep got them all mate, they are what I used most for DK2 and American Truck Sim but not used that as much as ETS 2. I only bought assetto Corsa yesterday because I was getting annoyed with PCars.

I think I will buy from outside Oculus Home if the option is there to do so but i hope someday we will be able to  launch games from within Oculus Home much like you can add a non steam game to steam library as I prefer using OH to Steam VR.

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer
mambo1888 said:
Got to say Im very pleased with steam support. I requested a refund on 6 games that I had bought and wouldnt be able to use with my Rift, that was done just before 11am and they have already processed a refund for all games. They were all within the 14 days and the 2 hours playtime most of them under 40 minutes, but even one had 2 hours playtime was refunded so hats of to them for that. It now means I have a load of steam wallet wonga for any rift games that I can buy through Steam. 
You could have waited for Oculus Touch to use them again. 😉

mambo1888
Rising Star

Syndroid said:

mambo1888 said:
You could have waited for Oculus Touch to use them again. 😉

Could have but then there's no guarantee they would be supported by touch, now there refunded if they do get supported by touch then I can buy them again when that happens if I want them. To be honest though the games that are out the now aren't that great and hopefully by the time touch comes out there will be some better content to make use of the technology.