cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Technology Preference Poll

OK after reading so many opinions on the lens technology used in CV1 compared to the DK2, I thought it would be interesting to poll everyone's opinion.

From my own experiences, the non-Fresnel lenses of the DK2 had more chromatic aberrations and a smaller sweet-spot but of course had no light rays. Everyone has their own opinion and so I'm curious to know where the overall preference lies.

I'm also curious to know how the opinions that are voiced in the forum effects those who haven't yet received their Rifts and if there is a gap between owners opinions and prospective owners opinions, because of reading the reviews. So thanks for your votes!

41 REPLIES 41

kernow
Heroic Explorer
• The sweet-spot is now quite annoying in DK2 after using CV1. CV1 with fresnel wins this.
• Chromatic aberration was quite noticeable and slightly annoying when all I had was DK1 and DK2. Much more so for DK2 now that I have tried CV1. CV1 with fresnel wins this.
• I hardly notice any SDE in CV1... It wasn't until several minutes in that I even thought to look for SDE in the CV1, and when I tried to see it, it wasn't anywhere as easy to see as it had been in DK2. CV1 with fresnel wins this.
• The rays are mostly only noticeable with bright against a lot of black. It is noticeable, and kind of annoying when it is in that situation, but in most other scenarios aren't noticeable. Clean traditional lenses wins this, though a tie in most situations.

On balance, fresnel wins overall. The rays issue isn't strong enough in most situations to outweigh the pros of fresnel.

Thoemse
Protege
New option: I had a DK2, a CV1 and a Vive and I prefer the Vive Fresnel lenses.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Fresnel lenses but without godrays should be perfect for CV2
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Thoemse said:

New option: I had a DK2, a CV1 and a Vive and I prefer the Vive Fresnel lenses.

That's probably best for another thread... a Rift vs Vive thread cos there aren't enough of those ;)... Rift Fresnels vs Vive Fresnels !

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I am not qualified to say TBH. I had a DK2 and have a CV1, but given i cant use none fresnels on the CV1 imo it is impossible for me to do an apples with apples comparison.

Godrays can be a pita or they can be a none issue..... Everything in hte CV1 aside from the godrays is a step up image quality wise from the DK2, but i do not know how much of this is the lenses and how much the improved screens.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like how everyone tries to compare them because of the god rays - but no one ever wants to talk about ways we could just fix the Fresnel lenses instead. =/

bo3b
Expert Protege
The problem with this comparison is that a lot of other things changed from DK2 as well, including a better and much higher resolution screen.

The DK2 lenses had a small sweet spot because it's a cheap single lens.  I really think that fresnel lens were a poor choice, and chosen at least partly to offset screen-door.  What I'd really like to see is them using compound lenses.

I agree @bo3b, that's why we should just be comparing lens technology, I don't think this comes down to lens expense, unless you know for sure the lenses of the DK2 were cheap. As for the screens, yes ignore resolution and screen door... this is really just a comparison or chromatic aberration and sweet spot which at the moment is all we know about the two lens technologies advantages and disadvantages.

xi11ix
Adventurer
I'm not going to vote since I haven't used a DK2 but I have used a Rift (3 different ones including my own) and a Vive and the God rays don't bother me much.

If I had to choose between a larger sweet spot and God rays, which seems to be the trade off, i'd pick the God rays.

thanks everyone for your votes!