cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project CARS won't run on Oculus Rift (sound, no video)

gp583
Sightseer
I have been having serious trouble getting Pcars to run on my Oculus Rift. When I launch the game, the sound comes through the Rift and after "please wait", it gives me an error : 

"We're sorry we are having trouble running project cars Please check computer for error messages . You may need to close the game and address the error before turning VR back on. "

The game shows up on my monitor but on the Rift, I only get sound. I have tried Eve Valkyrie, Lucky Tales, Albino Lullaby, and Oculus Dreamdeck on my Oculus Rift with no problems whatsoever -- only Pcars. 

I have been looking for the solution on google to no avail, although I did notice a thread stating both my monitor and Oculus need to be connected to same card. I have my computer hooked up hdmi to a 4K TV. 

I have tried to get this working for days now and I have no clue what to do. Please help!!!!

Thanks

gp583

11 REPLIES 11

marpa84
Honored Guest
Yeh I am having the same problem. Oculus support was quick to respond when I mentioned the problem. Had me send in a log 2-3 days ago to see what the problem is. Have not heard back yet and I am still out $50.

BAILEYD
Protege
I'm having the same issue all my games work fine but project cars starts up comes onto my tv I put the headset on and i get sound but I have the message we're sorry we're having problems starting project cars does anybody know a fix thanks

RobHermans
Superstar
@gp583 : Did you fix the problem, or does it persist?

It's relatively common knowledge that both the Rift HMD and the monitor must be connected to the same video card, and not to the on-board video.
The HDMI output must be dedicated to the Rift. If you have more than one HDMI port on your gfx card, connect your monitor to the DVI output (with a passive adapter, if needed).

If PCARS still gives an error, I suggest re-installing it after re-arranging the video connections.

BAILEYD
Protege
Hi so if I buy a dvi to hdmi run it off the main graphic card the same as the hdmi is in for my rift this should work at the moment I have HDMI to my tv which is the hdmi port at the top of my Alienware x51 and I have the rift into the hdmi port at the bottom of the PC! Thanks

RobHermans
Superstar
Correct. Don't use the HDMI at the top at all, that's on-board video (motherboard, not gfx card), plug the Rift into the bottom HDMI and use an HDMI→DVI adapter to connect the TV.

tvvx08jb0yfr.jpg

BAILEYD
Protege
Thankyou I'll buy one today and give it a try later cheers

BAILEYD
Protege
Thankyou so much this has solved all my oculus problems Muchly appreciated rob

RobHermans
Superstar
Excellent, glad to have been able to help, mate. B)

Now @gp583 and @marpa84 , are you any wiser? Let's get you sorted.

Reoen
Honored Guest
Would having the rift plugged into the HDMI port and my monitor plugged into a displayport to hdmi adapter cause the same issue? i'm having almost exactly the same problem