cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home?

BigRobCoder
Explorer
Just got my Rift, using an older overclocked CPU. I know it is not one of the recommended CPUs, but it works just fine with all the apps I've tried so far. Is there any way to disable the "doesn't meet recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home (which is present in VR as well as on the desktop window)? It's very annoying.
195 REPLIES 195

FX2K
Heroic Explorer

@cybereality  Can you comment on whether or not this is being looked into?

+1 and would love to hear from @cybereality also 😉

CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May... DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014

devz3ro
Honored Guest
Create a .bat file and add the following 3 lines to it. Right click & run as administrator. Works on my i7-3770K

net stop OVRService
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0" /v ProcessorNameString /t REG_SZ /d "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz" /f
net start OVRService

L_E_D_BLUE
Expert Protege
I need this off as well.

Master-Guy
Sightseer
devz3ro please confirm that it is your GPU that is not up-to spec, as what you are doing is changing the name of the CPU, not the GPU.. All these people (and me) want a solution for the GPU.

jon
Heroic Explorer

devz3ro please confirm that it is your GPU that is not up-to spec, as what you are doing is changing the name of the CPU, not the GPU.. All these people (and me) want a solution for the GPU.

You might have misread this and other, similar threads.

By far the most common issue across multiple threads has been the inability to (within the GUI) disable the inaccurate and misleading warning messages triggered by various CPUs not matching against Oculus' minimum CPU requirements list despite single core performance exceeding that of the cited minimum.

In this thread specifically, all but one of the posts where hardware was cited the issue was clearly a matter of an older CPU (often a K-series processor) being paired with a newer GPU (the 980 Ti was commonly cited).  There was one case of an AMD CPU and GPU pairing, and I'm not familiar enough with AMD chipsets to know how either performs relative to the minimum suggested requirements.

devz3ro
Honored Guest

I don't have a solution for the GPU - I own a GTX 970 (supported GPU) and a i7-3770K which is better / more powerful than the minimum required CPU.

As Jon mentioned, the theme of the thread seems to be the CPU causing the warning, not the GPU.

I forgot to mention to anyone that's using the bat file I posted, it will need to be ran on every startup, as the values are reset / overwritten by the system.

RobHermans
Superstar
A useful post by @BitVar to remedy this:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36677/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-mes...

I haven't tested it myself, as I have an above minimum CPU. Looks super legit though. B)

BitVar
Protege
@RobHermans if people really want it for GPU too I can do that as well. If I make one I'll post it in my thread.

AdKiuCM
Expert Protege
This registry workaround is probably fine, but it misses the point. I do not want to be forced to cheat the system changing CPU name. Also in my case I have got multiple USB 3.0 controllers. Rift will be plugged into compatible while other "non-compatible" will be used with other equipment.

KilRuf
Honored Guest
I'm on a 2500K @4.8 with a 980Ti. Both watercooled and no issues with running games but I do have the warning as well. It is a little annoying to see. Maybe they can turn it off somehow and only have it pop up on start up. That would be nice. I did have the warning with the USB as well. But I changed out to the recommended one and it fixed a few issues. So far so good.