cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to give up on HTC Vive (Have given up)

mambo1888
Rising Star
UPDATE:

I ended up getting rid of my Vive and cutting my losses. I had a very difficult time dealing with their customer support who in several instances were very rude, I honestly think they are acting this way to provoke you into loosing the plot with them. The issue that I had was 7 stuck pixels in the middle of the right display that were visible during gameplay. Some people got an RMA and had the problem fixed while others got an RMA and were sent the headset back unfixed as they have decided its not a problem and "will not affect the whole user experience"

Just want to make people aware of this because if you have this you will need to report it in the first 14 days to have a better chance of getting your money back, as they are not going to repair them now, I would advise getting a refund and trying again if you really want a working one. Or wait till they are retail and get from Amazon as their excellent customer service wont put up with this from HTC.

Below is the last message I received from HTC customer support...

Thank you for contacting HTC Customer Support Center. 
In regards to your reply, kindly note that we do apologize for any inconvenience caused.
In case if you are interested to send the device to be checked or repaired, please note that we will be more than happy to further assist in this case.
However, bear in mind that the repair center will return your HTC Vive unit with no faulty found as HTC updated us before that the stuck or the green pixels are from the SPECS of the HTC Vive and it will not affect the whole user experience.
Finally, it will be your decision by the end but bear in mind that we will not be able to change the fact that these pixels are from the SPECS of the HTC Vive and the repair center will send the HMD back with a quotation No Faulty Found.
We appreciate your feedback and comments. 
Also, we value your time and patience. 
If you have any other inquiries, don't hesitate to contact us again. 
For further details, please note that you can contact us via support line or via email following the below link: 
Http: https://support.htc.com/en ;
Thank you so much for using HTC products. 
Respect & Regards, 
HTC Technical Support Team 
http://www.htc.com ;
Just a heads up for anyone yet to recieve their Vive to check it out and act fast if you have a problem.

Original Issues, aside from stuck pixels:

I have been having a lot of issues with my Vive over the last couple of days and Im ready to throw in the towel. I was thinking that I will loose a lot of money Ive invested in Games but I just looked and they are all purchased less than 14 days ago and played under 2 hours, and any that are playable with Rift I can keep, so I should hopefully be able to get them refunded.

I am having issues with base stations not connecting, had issues with controllers not working properly and the steam VR app was not functioning properly. Tried lots of things, including repairing controllers, using sync cable for base stations, restarts, re doing setup etc, but I have lost confidence that I can get it set up and it will just keep working. 

Ive been through all the troubleshooting guides but doesn't seem to help. Unfortunately  the HTC Vive equivalent of these forums on Steam I have found not to be very good and not as helpful

I hadnt used my DK2 for a while and when I found out it worked with the new Oculus Home 1.3 I decided to give it a go. It was given a whole new lease of life and everything just worked plain and simple. It got me excited about VR again and I ended up getting a Vive as I still had a while before my CV1 was due. Since getting the Vive it feels like a step back in many ways, having to mess about trying to get things working as they should, like my time with the Development Kit. I could live with all the messing about with the DK2 because thats what I signed up for when I bought a development kit, but this is £800 consumer product (I know its still very early but still I cant help get annoyed when it keeps throwing problems)

My rifts shipping estimate is by the 16th of next month, so Im seriously considering giving up on the Vive and trying to get my games refunded while I still can, and come back to the Vive when the problems are ironed out or Vive 2. Wish I never sold my DK2 now as my decision would be a lot easier.

What to do??
59 REPLIES 59

EliteSPA
Superstar
Right click in steamvr in your librabry and choose betas there you are.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

mambo1888
Rising Star
@EliteSPA 

Thanks il give that a go

LV426
Protege
Mambo1888, nice to hear things have turned around for the better. I hope you keep the Vive for a little while longer. Good things are coming to our "Holodeck"... . B)
Intel Core I7-3770K OC 4.2ghz Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling MSI Z77A-GD65 Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 16GB Kingston HyperX SSD MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr. DK2

mambo1888
Rising Star
Cheers mate, yeah it seems to be working fine bar the controller conflict with when the steering wheels plugged in but thats not a major problem.

Id say Im undecided wether to keep it long term or pass it on when my rift comes, I wont be rushing to buy any games for it for now. Im happy playing the games for the Rift at the moment and have started playing Chronos. I will need to make my mind up once the rift arrives but at least it is working normally again.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too have been having a lot of trouble with the Vive. Juddering, having the floor rise and sink with no reason why. Its been pretty painful.

mambo1888
Rising Star
@CLParker  Hey man sorry to hear your having issues too. All my issues seem sorted at the moment, I would suggest unplugging your base stations and leave them unplugged for 5 minutes before plugging them back in.
Also @EliteSPA pointed out you can opt in to the beta I tried doing that and some of my issues came back like the wandering controller!! I uninstalled and reinstalled Steam VR a few times when troubleshooting and that might have taken me off the beta, in fact Im sure it did as when I selected the beta and opened up steam VR I was in the Banjo Kazooie house background I had downloaded. I have also uninstalled Vive software from my computer. 

So if your still having issues these are some of the things I would try...

Unplugging and leaving unplugged the base stations for about 5 minutes (This seemed to fix the delay in base stations starting and being stuck in standby mode)

I have started using the sync cable even though the base stations have clear sight of each other.

Check to see if your on Steam VR beta (For me I was having issues with wandering controllers in beta so I chose not to opt in)

If you have the trigger problem on your controller (Not selecting anything in steam VR) This for me is down to having my steering wheel plugged in, but someone else mentioned having a printer plugged in causing the same problem so probably a USB issue

I uninstalled Vive software (Im not sure if this has helped at all but I dont miss it, it removes the Vive tab at the bottom of Steam VR but that used to annoy me anyway as the scrolling system was rubbish)

Id also say re run room setup once you try any of these steps.

Bekatsa
Honored Guest
Quick update: with the new update today oculus must've fixed my sensors to expand to fill my whole room 15x15 ft before I only got 3x3 ft!!

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer

mambo1888 said:

LeeG_UK said:

I've had the Vive for coming up to 4 weeks. The only issue I have is when I get very close to a glass door, a controller might drift slightly. As this is only a tiny area inside the play zone, it's not really a problem.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? There may be someone nearby who could assist.

Thanks Lee

Ive decided im going to sell it as the more I think about it the less I can justify having the 2 and I think the Rift will suit me better with regards to space and the games I play. Im going to mess about with it today as I dont want to sell it to someone if its faulty. I think theres a guy I worked with that has one, but hes offshore at the moment so will need to wait till he gets back to compare.

Did you remove the protective plastic that came w/ the Vive stations?

jk

Maybe what is going on is you OCed your PC too far, most likely RAM, which is causing corruption/microcorruption that made it where Steam and the software/OS files aren't 100% installed and written correctly.  Maybe the registry is also broken.

Suggestion if this has happened is to reinstall Windows with stock clocks or OC the CPU only and not the RAM.

Other problem could be you had massive ESD during you custom PC installation.  You also could have used conductive paste that was accidental distributed to other parts of the board.

Other problem could also be your hardware is faulty of 1 or multiple components.
facebook.com/AntDX316

edmg
Trustee
I get conflicts between the Vive controllers and my G29 wheel, too. I just turn the controllers off when playing driving games, since I don't need them.

I'm guessing the game is just confused about which controller it should be listening to.

mambo1888
Rising Star

AntDX3162 said:

mambo1888 said:

LeeG_UK said:

I've had the Vive for coming up to 4 weeks. The only issue I have is when I get very close to a glass door, a controller might drift slightly. As this is only a tiny area inside the play zone, it's not really a problem.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? There may be someone nearby who could assist.

Thanks Lee

Ive decided im going to sell it as the more I think about it the less I can justify having the 2 and I think the Rift will suit me better with regards to space and the games I play. Im going to mess about with it today as I dont want to sell it to someone if its faulty. I think theres a guy I worked with that has one, but hes offshore at the moment so will need to wait till he gets back to compare.

Did you remove the protective plastic that came w/ the Vive stations?

jk

Maybe what is going on is you OCed your PC too far, most likely RAM, which is causing corruption/microcorruption that made it where Steam and the software/OS files aren't 100% installed and written correctly.  Maybe the registry is also broken.

Suggestion if this has happened is to reinstall Windows with stock clocks or OC the CPU only and not the RAM.

Other problem could be you had massive ESD during you custom PC installation.  You also could have used conductive paste that was accidental distributed to other parts of the board.

Other problem could also be your hardware is faulty of 1 or multiple components.

Thanks for the info mate, its actually working fine again. The problems with the controllers is just a conflict with the steering wheel but thats usually unplugged unless im going to be playing a driving game and then I will just launch it directly from steam anyway. The base stations seemed to have been sorted by unplugging them for a couple of minutes and they start up straight away again.

Appreciate your help though.