Project Cars VR Settings — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Project Cars VR Settings

mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
Neo
edited May 2016 in Games and Apps
I was originally having trouble getting Project Cars looking and playing good after the last update, Ive finally got it back to the way it was before. Ive still got to mess about with some of the Visual FX settings to see what makes a difference but here is the settings I have at the moment and its working great on my system. I think the main culprit to why I was having issues was the grass setting, I will try that a bit later on. I just raised the graphics gradually restarting the game each time and making sure it wasn't juddery. If anyone else wants to post up there settings along with there system specs that would be great so we can trying and make improvements here and there...

I should note that I thought the resolution setting affected the HMD but I tried a few different resolutions this morning and it seems I was talking out my ass, so Ive now set it on the lowest 640 x something.

My system:

Asus P9 X79
i7 3930K @ 4Ghz
16GB DDR3
GTX 980ti
HTC Vive

Visual FX

Performance

Hardware

Comments

• StairmandStairmand Posts: 103
    Art3mis

I can run it maxed with no issues, however the colours drive me nuts. Sturation is poor. I'd like a way to adjust colours on the Rift display.

• mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    Mine was running fine, then it updated for the official support it looked really bad, very washed out and reduced graphics. I started messing about with settings and resolutions and now its really bad and jittery. Some on the steam forums has said they need to have everything on low with a similar pc to mine while others say that can have it maxed, I wish I could go back to the way it was when I was using the Revive Injector.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Mine looks fine and is using 'out of box' settings (steam version), it has only every run on the rift.

I will report back how mine is setup as mine seems fine (3570k @ 4.5ghz + 290x)
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    Cheers @Percy1983 I think I will be selling my Vive and just going to go with the Rift but id like to get Project Cars running again so I can keep playing till I sell it, if you could let me know what resolution is displayed in the settings too that would be great, thanks.
  • OutatimeTVOutatimeTV Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I can post my settings later. But the most important setting for me was AA.
    On the standard AA2x the picture was pixelated and flickering. I can turn it up to AA9x and it's so much better now. It runs very smooth on my ATI R9 390
    Neo
    I can post my settings later. But the most important setting for me was AA.
    On the standard AA2x the picture was pixelated and flickering. I can turn it up to AA9x and it's so much better now. It runs very smooth on my ATI R9 390
    Thanks mate, Ive actually got it running quite good now but I want to try and fine tune it a bit more. It may be worth posting your settings up along with your setup, il do the same and anyone else who wants to, so we can compare and maybe find improvements here and there. It might also help anyone else in the future, just an idea.
  • OutatimeTVOutatimeTV Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    PCarsVR-Settings

Graphic Settings

I use clear weather, 20 cars on track, my monitor (second display) is set to 1280x720 60Hz.

Some say Jitter Correction from 4.0 ->1.0 but I don't see any difference in picture clarity.
    I have tried several different graphic options (with game restart every time) and my best results in the screeshots. Only in german.

DS6X is a bit more fluid in the corners (background trees are a little bit jittery) but DS9X is visually better for me.

Neo
    @OutatimeTV Cheers mate im hoping to get mine up tonight or tomorrow. I think I settled on DS6X as soon as I went above that it got jittery.

There is some discussion as to wether the resolution effects the HMD or just the mirrored display. To me it looked like it was making a difference to the HMD but I will have another play about when I get the chance.
    Neo
    Thats me updated the thread with my settings at the moment, would be good to see what other people are using incase improvements can be made anywhere. As I said I think the main culprit was having the grass setting on or too high, will look into that more later.

• HeadRusch1HeadRusch1 Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Core i7-2600@4.7Ghz, 980 Ti Hybrid@1500Mhz boosted.  I have found there is absolutely no middle ground that is consistent for this game, tight-turns judder, grids of cars cause slowdown, weather is brutal on frame rates across the board, so there is no magic bullet setting.  After tinkering for awhile I've decided Medium with no AA or Low with AA, grass turned off, is a reasonable compromise. 

But if you're in a grid with the weather raging, we really need 1080 Ti's to make that work at higher settings and never worry about a dip below 60.  

Neo
    Core i7-2600@4.7Ghz, 980 Ti Hybrid@1500Mhz boosted.  I have found there is absolutely no middle ground that is consistent for this game, tight-turns judder, grids of cars cause slowdown, weather is brutal on frame rates across the board, so there is no magic bullet setting.  After tinkering for awhile I've decided Medium with no AA or Low with AA, grass turned off, is a reasonable compromise. 

But if you're in a grid with the weather raging, we really need 1080 Ti's to make that work at higher settings and never worry about a dip below 60.  

Thanks for posting, the settings im using now im pretty happy with. Occasionally I get some stutter but its not too bad and for the most part its pretty smooth. Grass turned off I think has been the main benefit, I still want to try and fine tune the settings to get it as good as I can but much happier to just have it working again.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,936 Valuable Player

Same config as me, and same experience. I'm confident it's simply PCars that's hammering our CPU.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • SpyderSiSpyderSi Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Didn't you guys get the memo? Assetto Corsa has support now, PCARS is no longer of any use :wink: 
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    DS9X !!!! you guys must like low frame rates.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    Neo
    @Lemming1970 mine is DS4X, I tried going above that and it caused major stuttering, DS4X is fine though.

@SpyderSi Ive only briefly tried Assetto Corsa the other night, I put the old Project Cars patch into the folder (Im using a Vive at the moment) but when I start a race it fails to load and just returns to the race menu. Any ideas whats wrong? Ive heard of this issue before but cant remember what caused it.
  • WisdomWisdom Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Guys I'm not into car games but want a car game for the rift for demo purposes. Who knows, maybe I like cars in VR. Anyway, I'm after a gamey game type game, not a sim and I don't have a wheel. Pcars or Asseto? (or use a car in Arma with vorpx?)
    Neo
    Id say Pcars or Euro Truck Simulator 2 if your not bothered about racing, it can be got really cheap. If your in the UK American Truck simulator is about £5 on amazon at the moment
  • WisdomWisdom Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    DO you know if Euro Truck has support for 3d geometry?
    Neo
    It has native Rift support and looks good :) not sure what 3D geometry is, in VorpX?
  • finagle69finagle69 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Just as an FYI.  You can disable the mirror on your monitor to get rid of any doubt of it affecting performance.

In Steam, set the launch option -vrnomirror
    Neo
    finagle69 said:
    Just as an FYI.  You can disable the mirror on your monitor to get rid of any doubt of it affecting performance.

In Steam, set the launch option -vrnomirror
    Great first post mate, I didnt know that was an option, cheers. 
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,142
    Wintermute
    edited May 2016
    SpyderSi said:
    Didn't you guys get the memo? Assetto Corsa has support now, PCARS is no longer of any use :wink: 
    I tried Assetto Corsa last night, because it has more of the cars I'd want to drive. But it has a horribly clunky and unintuitive interface, the steering wheel preset doesn't work, and the graphics seem far worse. Oh, and it crashed my PC, which is now spending nine hours rebuilding its RAID array.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I get my Rift or they add official Vive support, but currently I'll be sticking to Project Cars.
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    my settings, not perfect . Not sure if changing resolution makes any difference, or if that's just for your monitor?

SYSTEM
    i7 6700K o/c 4.6ghz
    16 gb DDR4 3000mhz
    GTX 980 Ti
    Samsung 850 SSD system drive
    Samsung hybrid drive for games.
    Windows 10 PRO

Zotac 1080Ti
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,939 Volunteer Moderator

Out of interest.. has anyone found a way to launch Project CARS (Steam version) directly into VR without being asked how you want to run it?

If you create a desktop shortcut, it launches the desktop version... and if you run directly from Steam it always asks how you want to run it, I can't find any launch options that work!

....I like to have a few desktop shortcuts for frequently used programs

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    Neo

Out of interest.. has anyone found a way to launch Project CARS (Steam version) directly into VR without being asked how you want to run it?

If you create a desktop shortcut, it launches the desktop version... and if you run directly from Steam it always asks how you want to run it, I can't find any launch options that work!

....I like to have a few desktop shortcuts for frequently used programs

Nope, picking the option is the only way I have found so far.
    Zotac 1080Ti
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6

Yes, you can. Make a shortcut with:
    steam://launch/234630/othervr

Neo
    @Lemming1970 Thanks for sharing mate will compare with my settings later on and see if theres anything I can improve on.

I thought the resolution affected the HMD but it doesn't I tried a few from lowest to highest and it only affected the monitor resolution. Someone posted the other day how to remove the screen mirroring altogether but ive not tried it yet. I just keep it on the lowest setting now.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,939 Volunteer Moderator
    Mace404 said:

Yes, you can. Make a shortcut with:
    steam://launch/234630/othervr

that doesn't seem to work for me... I tried -othervr in the steam launch options too with no luck, ah well
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited May 2016
    Im playing now Asetto Corsa with PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY=1.7 OMG!!!!! The diference is soo big!!!!! I hope they can do something similar to PC.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    @mambo1888 I have noticed that PC runs better qua perfomance on CV1, something to do with asynchronous time warp
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz