cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus App 1.4 Release Notes

cybereality
Grand Champion
A new version of the Oculus app, version 1.4, releases today.
  • Improvements to performance and system stability

• Improvements to sensor tracking under certain circumstances

• Bug fixes and security updates, including updates to platform integrity checks

• AUD, CAD, Euro, Pound, and Yen currencies supported by all games in applicable markets

• With this update, version 16.5.2 of the AMD driver can cause flickering on your computer screen. AMD is working on a fix. If you encounter this issue, use the 16.5.1 driver: https://support.oculus.com/1426791537346223
Please keep in mind that the update is automatic, but may take a few days to propagate to all users. Thanks for your support.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
203 REPLIES 203

jon
Heroic Explorer

boober said:

Fuck oculus never buying anyting from you again and telling all my friends to do the same and tell all their friends to do the same and jon and rob hermans keep sucking the little thinggy under lackeys tales...

Here's the thing, my post history is fairly mixed with respect to VR HMD tribalism.  I've critiqued Oculus where I thought they've deserved it.  I tend to call a spade a spade.

I just can't get worked up about the Oculus Home changes getting in the way of Revive.  At a high level it basically comes down to Palmer stating an open hacker mentality regarding Oculus Home access prior to either HMD being released, followed by Oculus proper publicly telling people that third party workarounds would most likely break in the future when the Revive project was first introduced.  You can cherry pick quotes as you like, but Oculus' public corporate stance toward Revive was quite clearly that it was considered a hack, was not supported and should not be relied upon.

The reaction to Revive being broken as a result of an update from some is simply that it was expected and that they're sad to see the fragmentation of the VR market.  I not only respect this point of view, but agree with it partially.  I tend to be less sad about the fragmentation of the VR market because I believe there are obvious underlying and conflicting corporate interests at play from both Oculus and Valve, and I don't particularly think one company or the other is the clearly superior moral actor here.  It will eventually work itself out.

The reaction from others is more akin to condemnation of Oculus for 'blocking Vive' from accessing Oculus Home, and vociferously hoping for the company's failure (typically conveyed through expletives).  I tend not to respect this point of view, and consider these folks little better the petulant children.  Their collective sense of entitlement to free applications on Oculus Home and disregard for the explicit warnings Oculus had given regarding Revive reveals a lack personal responsibility.

As for which category you personally fit into, I prefer to let people self-bin through their own actions.

boober
Protege
i have an i7 2600 cpu 3.40 ghz with 16 gb ram 64 bit operating system win10 with a gtx 960 and before that stupid update everything was working fine never had any lag whatsoever you fucking idiot cocksucker rob hermans so shut you're trap fucking idiot and keep sucking ass that fucking oculus home keeps shutting down and restarting for no reason since updates fucking nerds...

boober
Protege
my computer was and still is perfectly capable of handling that shitty oculus home...and i never asked your help Robacock

boober
Protege
its completely wrong to shut down early oculus backers who are obviously not hackers...oculus is going down the drain with that attitude period.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That kind of language is not acceptable on the forum. You've been banned.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

kojack
MVP
MVP

I have a DK2 as well but the update seems to work fine here, no resets so far.

That's great. But it does not help me.

There's two ways to look at "works for me" posts.
One is that it's not helpful or is taunting. Certainly sometimes that's the intent.

The other is that it is helping to narrow down the circumstances of a problem.
If it fails for some people with DK2s and works for others with DK2s, then the DK2 either isn't the cause of the problem or it is just one element of the problem that requires other factors to occur (for a hypothetical example: DK2 with Nvidia fails but DK2 with AMD works). Knowing that it works for somebody is important to tracking down the cause.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

mambo1888
Rising Star

jon said:

boober said:

Fuck oculus never buying anyting from you again and telling all my friends to do the same and tell all their friends to do the same and jon and rob hermans keep sucking the little thinggy under lackeys tales...

Here's the thing, my post history is fairly mixed with respect to VR HMD tribalism.  I've critiqued Oculus where I thought they've deserved it.  I tend to call a spade a spade.

I just can't get worked up about the Oculus Home changes getting in the way of Revive.  At a high level it basically comes down to Palmer stating an open hacker mentality regarding Oculus Home access prior to either HMD being released, followed by Oculus proper publicly telling people that third party workarounds would most likely break in the future when the Revive project was first introduced.  You can cherry pick quotes as you like, but Oculus' public corporate stance toward Revive was quite clearly that it was considered a hack, was not supported and should not be relied upon.

The reaction to Revive being broken as a result of an update from some is simply that it was expected and that they're sad to see the fragmentation of the VR market.  I not only respect this point of view, but agree with it partially.  I tend to be less sad about the fragmentation of the VR market because I believe there are obvious underlying and conflicting corporate interests at play from both Oculus and Valve, and I don't particularly think one company or the other is the clearly superior moral actor here.  It will eventually work itself out.

The reaction from others is more akin to condemnation of Oculus for 'blocking Vive' from accessing Oculus Home, and vociferously hoping for the company's failure (typically conveyed through expletives).  I tend not to respect this point of view, and consider these folks little better the petulant children.  Their collective sense of entitlement to free applications on Oculus Home and disregard for the explicit warnings Oculus had given regarding Revive reveals a lack personal responsibility.

As for which category you personally fit into, I prefer to let people self-bin through their own actions.

Spot on mate. While I am all for an open market id like to see it done officially and hope it will be at some point. I can still accept other people will have a different opinion and thats perfectly fine but there are ways to get your point across and some of these posts saying that "thats it Ive had enough Im never spending another penny... Im telling all my mates and they wont spend a penny either" are just daft and childish.

cjwidd
Explorer
[OFF-TOPIC] How do you turn off notifications for a particular thread, e.g. this one. I'd like to continue receiving email updates for threads that I have participated in, but not this one. Is that possible, or will I have to turn off all notifications for threads I've participated in?

RobHermans
Superstar

cjwidd said:

[OFF-TOPIC] How do you turn off notifications for a particular thread, e.g. this one. I'd like to continue receiving email updates for threads that I have participated in, but not this one. Is that possible, or will I have to turn off all notifications for threads I've participated in?

You click the little star at the top right again, that should "unbookmark" it.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I think he's using the notification for "threads I've participated in", which doesn't automatically bookmark the thread. If you're using that notification setting, I don't think you can stop getting them on a thread-by-thread basis.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo