cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HMD v2?

TheMaster0071
Protege
What do you think we can expect from the next gen of HMD's and when?
14 REPLIES 14

Choronzon
Adventurer
We can expect better. And much to look forward to - eye-tracking and higher res later this year with Fove. I think 2nd gen Rift - maybe 18 months away - will be quite special.

in6seconds
Expert Protege
i don't expect eye tracking to be here any time soon, I can however expect a fix for vive's game movement other than the blinking system. And for the cv1 I can expect a fix to the annoying len rays.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Expect them to iterate on their current systems for at least 2 more years. VR increases exponentially, but many people don't quite understand what this means.

benplace
Rising Star
CV2 will probably come out when they finish shipping preorders for CV1...

Anonymous
Not applicable
They are looking at a 2-4 year release cycle (give or take) with a possibility of a "DK" unit between for testing of the new release hardware. "DK" will only be release to real devs instead of the public instead.

CV2 will focus on:
*Software - A large amount of time and money will be spent into getting more software available to the community.

*Social type software will continue to grow allowing users to communicate with friends and family while allowing sharing of their thoughts and ideas. (Both 1st and 3rd party).

*Better lens - or a fix for the current lens.

*Eye tracking - basic form of this. Wont change what lens do already, but Foveated rendering is something that is being taken serious.

*Wider Tracking System - Array base tracking system - or a full on change to the tracking system

*Higher FOV - Depends on the lens use, but don't except a huge improvement just yet

*Higher Resolutions - Screen technology and GPUs will be getting better, so higher resolutions screens will be coming, but wont be 4k just yet. Think maybe 2k with around 60-78% more pixels to play with.

*Lower cost CV - 2 cvs instead of one main one. Price of CV1 will drop or build of the unit will change to lower the cost while the CV2 will be solid at a premium.

*More on tracking of the body ~ still a toss up. Hand tracking alone will see a upgrade on design, but more tracking utility will come in the form of 3d party at this time.

Roaster
Rising Star
I doubt if we get better lenses.  They picked these for reasons, and those reasons won't change.  
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Roaster said:

I doubt if we get better lenses.  They picked these for reasons, and those reasons won't change.  

You could say that about the DK1 - 2 and 3, but here we are with CV1 lenses instead. 😘

Just a hint, there are a few things that they could've done to decrease the "god" ray effect, but they add a lot of weight. So if they remove the weight or some how rebalance the headset ~ well maybe they could do something with that less weight or rebalance system. 😉 Then there is the other factor - better lens technology that's coming out as well. Also, there is something about playing with lens size and shape that can play a roll as well when given more area of pixels.

Gerald
Expert Protege

Roaster said:

I am curious about that. I lack the knowledge about lenses, but I liked my DK2 better than Vive DK1 and Vive DK1 better than Vive Pre. A lot got better, but the lens reflections make some use cases just not something that works out. For example I love playing normal games on a big screen, but using the Vive Pre to play them always makes me crazy within a few minutes as the lenses are just so annoying.
I am not sure if it is better on the Rift, but seems both suffer from the problem.

Still hoping though that some form of dynamic contrast compression capping max brightness might solve it to a degree in software, but if they can optimize the lenses with some anti-reflex coating or something that alone would be worth buying a new headset for me.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

TheMaster0071
Protege
I really want better resolution, I would like to be able to see corners in the distance in racing games, and be able to read the text in Virtual Desktop. I feel like it needs to be double what the resolution is now, but then the GPU will struggle running it, even the 1080 would, maybe the 11xx will.