cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus App 1.4 Release Notes

cybereality
Grand Champion
A new version of the Oculus app, version 1.4, releases today.
  • Improvements to performance and system stability

• Improvements to sensor tracking under certain circumstances

• Bug fixes and security updates, including updates to platform integrity checks

• AUD, CAD, Euro, Pound, and Yen currencies supported by all games in applicable markets

• With this update, version 16.5.2 of the AMD driver can cause flickering on your computer screen. AMD is working on a fix. If you encounter this issue, use the 16.5.1 driver: https://support.oculus.com/1426791537346223
Please keep in mind that the update is automatic, but may take a few days to propagate to all users. Thanks for your support.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
203 REPLIES 203

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yea - I keep reading what I said and have been rewriting it to be more clear. I was half asleep when I writing it. Just got up from a nap.

yields = supply though. The more supply and the cost to make said supply lowers the cheaper you can sell it. That's what I mean by supply.

Yea x..x; forgive me I am a novice writer.

Physicon
Honored Guest
Since the 1.4 update, whenever I reboot my computer and start Oculus Home it tells me that my HDMI cable is disconnected.  If I unplug it and plug it back in again, the problem is resolved.  Any reason why this would have just started with 1.4?

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
Lemme See if i Can Use my DP-> HDMI Adapters... Nope... Same as Before... Interlaced Image w/ Color Spacing issues or no picture at all....

jon
Heroic Explorer

Gerald said:

Oculus could follow up on what Palmer told the community. And that were very plain words with little room for misinterpretation.

Something like this perhaps:

“This is a hack, and we don’t condone it,” Oculus VR said in a statement issued to VRFocus. “Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software."

Made specifically about Revive on April 15th, 2016.

notaphony
Honored Guest

jon said:

Gerald said:

Oculus could follow up on what Palmer told the community. And that were very plain words with little room for misinterpretation.

“This is a hack, and we don’t condone it,” Oculus VR said in a statement issued to VRFocus. “Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software."

I've seen you post this quote here a number of times, so would you please answer a question:

Do you think there's a difference between not providing support for an external app and actively working on blocking an external app?

Because the quote is about "no support" approach, but in reality they specifically targeted Revive and similar software for the sake of hardware-locking only.

Man, I hate WYSIWYG.

jon
Heroic Explorer

Do you think there's a difference between not providing support for an external appand actively working on blocking an external app?

To directly answer the question: yes, there's a difference between providing support for an external app and actively working to block an external app.

To expand on that answer though, after Oculus publicly deemed Revive a 'hack' of their platform, I don't understand the expectation that Oculus would then not seek to mitigate that 'hack' through regular software updates to their platform.  I simply don't get the surprise people apparently felt over this.  At it's core, Revive is a 'hack' that allowed access to content that was provided free to Oculus customers.  Modern morals get fuzzy when it comes to free content online, but I think it fairly clear that those who installed and used apps intended for a product they did not pay for were plainly stealing.

As for posting this same quote a number of times, I do like to post it when the Palmer quote is cited in isolation as Oculus' comment or promise on the matter.  Given the chronology of the two quotes it's very clear what Oculus' stance on Revive was at the time Revive became relevant and deliberately citing the Palmer quote in isolation seems deceptive.

Gerald
Expert Protege

jon said:

Gerald said:

but is it an update that breaks something?
From what I read it is an
active requirement to have an Oculus Rift as a new check of the
software, not an accidental break. The updated statement in no way makes
it clear that Palmer's old statement no longer is valid, it did sound
more like the usual legal to make sure they won't have to support Vive
users in case something actually breaks (like a game suddenly requiring
some Touch functionality that the Vive does not offer).

So NO - not something like that. More something like: "We changed our mind, we will actively limit our platform to officially supported Oculus HMDs! And we will block all mods trying to circumvent this."

check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

jon
Heroic Explorer

Gerald said:

jon said:

Gerald said:

but is it an update that breaks something?
From what I read it is an
active requirement to have an Oculus Rift as a new check of the
software, not an accidental break. The updated statement in no way makes
it clear that Palmer's old statement no longer is valid, it did sound
more like the usual legal to make sure they won't have to support Vive
users in case something actually breaks (like a game suddenly requiring
some Touch functionality that the Vive does not offer).

So NO - not something like that. More something like: "We changed our mind, we will actively limit our platform to officially supported Oculus HMDs! And we will block all mods trying to circumvent this."

In all honestly, the update looked like a regular platform update that fixed a publicly identified 'hack' and iteratively improved on other areas (sensor range, types of currencies accepted, etc.).  That's all well within the company's official comment regarding Revive.

Gerald
Expert Protege
Mate I think you are missing my point. The point is that Palmer made a statement and that the official comment did not revoke that statement.

Even if it did I would still say - great, now we have to take everything with "until we decide otherwise" (like the answers to the privacy concerns had a lot of "currently" in them).
And they can do whatever the fuck they like obviously! But just because it is your right to burn down your house does not make it a good idea. I am mostly debating that they are self destructing in a lot of small steps.

check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

observer
Explorer
This patch completely made my DK2 useless.  It was working previously with the previous versions, but now i can't get past the screen because it says my CPU is unsupported.  I've tried 0.6, 0.7, and 0.8, and none of them work either.

Why did they block us from installing?  It makes no sense.  They are forcing us to upgrade.  I've had so many problems with this company.  Zuckerberg needs to make some heads roll, or his $2 billion purchase will go down the drain, while Google and Sony take over the market with better competence.   This is completely unacceptable.