cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So this new update makes the Rift a closed platform?

Trytiped
Adventurer
So I'm just a little confused here. I know this update prevents the HTC Vive from playing games that were intentionally exclusive, but does it also prevent a Vive user from accessing the store and content overall?

Mind you I own a rift just wanted this clarified cause I find that to be a bit unfair if so, as that also seems totally against Luckeys regime. Then again who says Oculus is running off his regime anymore regardless.
41 REPLIES 41

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
This is not a "closed platform."  A closed platform would be if Oculus didn't allow non-Home apps to run on the Rift.  The iPhone is a good example of a closed platform.  But Oculus doesn't do this.  I can run non-Home apps on my Rift just fine if it was made for the Rift.

Gerald
Expert Protege

This is not a "closed platform."  A closed platform would be if Oculus didn't allow non-Home apps to run on the Rift.  The iPhone is a good example of a closed platform.  But Oculus doesn't do this.  I can run non-Home apps on my Rift just fine if it was made for the Rift.

Mate

platform = Oculus Home
HMD = Oculus Rift

platform now closed
HMD still wildly open

you are welcome 🙂
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

jon
Heroic Explorer

Hanover said:

If you're on the internet, you can be found. Especially if you're uploading to Git Hub.

Particularly if it's Facebook, Google or the US government that wants to find you.

Zandil
Rising Star
What happens if someone with a Vive asks Oculus for a refund on a game they purchased before the DRM lock was in place ?

Gerald
Expert Protege

Zandil said:

What happens if someone with a Vive asks Oculus for a refund on a game they purchased before the DRM lock was in place ?

I wrote about that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ks1ky/how_to_respond_to_oculus_refunding_only_one_title/

TL;DR: They seem to refund one (the most expensive in the above case). Good direction, but I think they should go a step further and refund them all. Can't make that much of a difference (though I am sorry for the developers).

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Chewie71 said:

They cut off their nose to spite their face.

Right, cause everyone who takes part in an exclusive membership is metaphorically disfigured. Everyone should strive for failure, not success. Hooray!

Gerald
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

Chewie71 said:

They cut off their nose to spite their face.

Right, cause everyone who takes part in an exclusive membership is metaphorically disfigured. Everyone should strive for failure, not success. Hooray!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_off_the_nose_to_spite_the_face

You shouldn't take it so literally 😉

Synthetic
Rising Star
I dont think you know what TLDR is Gerald

/s

Anonymous
Not applicable
Finding Revive is easy.. i mean when you log into home you send your ip. With in that time you call the isp and ask for location. From there you go to their house 🙂 Not hard. The problem is 1) getting the warent to do so and 2) the laws of the land they are over come the laws of the land you are from. Meaning that Revive has to be breaking a law with in this country for that to happen.

NickytheHutt
Expert Protege
Does this affect me if I forever refuse to buy from the Oculus Store and keep my current habit of buying off Steam / Origin / Ubi? I don't want to be married to the Rift or its Oculus successors, I may want to buy better HMD's in the future regardless of brand. Nor do I want to reward Oculus for acting like a capitalistic 4 button-controller jock. 

Does this news affect me?