cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction to Virtual Reality not a good intro, as it's bug riddled

Devilstower
Expert Protege
I want to like it, because it seems like it would be a nice little "show of the Oculus" title when plunking the device on a friend's head but.

First, the screen draws in in segments, something I've never seen in another Oculus app, so that if I turn my head there are momentary blank areas that are filled after a stomach-lurching second.

But the biggest bug is that the sound is totally out of sync with the images. It starts off slightly off and gets worse and worse until the images are several scenes behind the sound.
23 REPLIES 23

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Before getting my Rift I watched a few videos of that introduction and it looked amazing, not so much when actually in VR - it is mostly 360 video that doesn't support 3d depth or positional tracking. Now I show people the spaceship in Farlands when they first try the Rift, that is an awesome simple experience to start out with!

Jokergod2000
Adventurer
It's good for a 360 video but a 360 video is a horrible CV1 intro to VR. It's not a Gear VR so why show something so limiting?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I agree that showing this video as a first intro to VR isn't the best way to go. I typically show quite a few others things first (Showdown, Dreamdeck, Lost, Technolust). However, I eventually show this video once all the other "wow" factors have been achieved specifically because it shows how anyone on the planet can contribute to VR experiences.  You don't even have to own a VR headset.

This video is a great demonstration of the world's future with sharing experiences in ways never before achieved. It completely outshines whatever standard social media thought it set.

mambo1888
Rising Star
I thought the video was quite good as well but agree theres a lot of other experiences that make a better demos/introduction to VR. I know some people are not that keen on 360 video but I think it shows another way to utilise the VR headsets capabilities, and what it could do for people that prevented from visiting places around the world due to age, illness or disability etc. 

I can see this working and offering them an experience they never thought possible, and another way VR can expand past gaming or as a learning utility.