cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Books

Luciferous
Consultant
VR Books recommended by users on the forum.

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline - (highly recommend) Fantastic Book
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson's - (highly recommend) Great unique novel
Altered Carbon - Cyber Punk Noir Mystery Book - (highly recommend) fast paced and Action packed. VR in it but not main story.

Love for three Zuckerbrins (2014) - by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Pelevin - not read
Otherland - not read

William Gibson trilogy
----------------------------
1. Neuromancer - (highly recommend) Brilliant book
2. Count Zero - OK but more like epilogue for the first one.
3. Mona Lisa Overdrive - (read) A bit better but no Neuromancer.

If you like cyberpunk few beat Gibson' imagined worlds.

more Gibsons

The Peripheral -
I really enjoyed this one, slow burner. (read it twice)

Burning Chrome -
Short stories, OK but not his best work.

Ascend Online Series: Nice light adventure story all based on a Skyrim type RPG VR game.
Jason logs into Awaken Online fed-up with reality. He's in desperate need of an escape, and this game is his ticket to finally feeling the type of power and freedom that's so sorely lacking in his real life. ...

Permutation City from Greg Egan - The concept of this book is mind blowing. A universe is born from virtual reality.
ShadowRun- not read

Not exactly VR but recommended good scfi ones
--------------------------------------------------------------
Bobiverse Series - A man is copied into a computer and sent into space as one of man's last hopes. These are epic books , really recommend them. VR turns up eventually 🙂

Daemon (Daniel Suarez) and the sequel, Freedom TM. not read but recommended by Cybereality

Rainbows End -
(read) Christmas Carol kind of story with a really interesting concept of an Augmented future. Takes a bit to get into and the lead character is difficult to sympathize with.

Dream Park -
(read) Larry Niven and Steven Barnes. Good read, who done it, feels at times a little dated though but the concept of a holographic adventure theme park is an exciting prospect. A warning though if you are buying this on Audible.com the quality of the recording is very metallic and the narrators voice is quite grinding.

Armada - Ernest Cline - Ok but not anywhere as gripping as Ready player one. It is almost like an exact copy of 'The last Starfighter'

'Masters of Doom'
(read)
So I bought this not even reading the synopsis, such is the faith I have had in the recommendations you guys have given me.
I thought it was another sci-fi novel but discovered it was the story of John Romero and John Carmack's rise to fame.
Not normally my kind of book but I really recommend this as it charts the rise from unknown teenagers to their eventual split and onwards until up to 2004. For me it was incredibly interesting as I never knew the back history of the games that help define my childhood (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake). Especially interesting as I had no idea how much I owed these guys and their team for bringing virtual worlds to my life and with John Carmack joining Oculus it was like jigsaw pieces clicking into place. Another bonus is Wil Wheaton is narrating it on Audible. That guy can make stamp collecting sound interesting.

32 REPLIES 32

Luciferous
Consultant

Still working my way through these suggestions.

Read Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive the second and third books. They were good but felt a little like epilogue for Neuromancer. Just downloaded Burning Chrome. Could not find Daniel Suarez titles on Audible.

cybereality
Grand Champion
http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-Thrillers/Daemon-Audiobook/B002V5B9SO/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Luciferous
Consultant
Thanks Cyber, On audible.co.uk it only had the German version. Great start to burning chrome, never realised that dodgy film johnny mnemonic (with Keanu Reaves as Johnny) had Molly in it and it tied into to Neuromancer. I am going to have to watch it now.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I really loved Johnny Mnemonic. I actually have a copy of the screen-play signed by William Gibson himself. Or at least I did at one point, probably hidden in a box somewhere now.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Luciferous
Consultant

Forgot to say I listened to the Peripheral, I thought this one has a good concept and had a better story line.

The Burning Chrome is a little hit and miss for me with the short stories, I would have liked the whole thing to be Johnny mnemonic but I am only half way through so do not want to jump to conclusions. I am presuming like an Album they stick the good ones at the beginning and end and keep the weak ones in the centre.

Still yet to find one as good as Ready Player One, Neuromancer or Snow Crash though. Maybe I need a Gibson break, will try Suarez next.

castana
Honored Guest
Hi All,
I am looking for some SCI-Fi novel about a word-destroying, for it, Do you know any best about it ?
Please, let me know all the similar novels
Could you advice me about this topic?
Thanks in avance
Alejandro
Ps. Sorry for my little english

Luciferous
Consultant
Hi Castana,

I am not sure what this part of your post means 'word-destroying, for it'. Can you clarify?
Do you mean World Destruction like an apocalypse (EG zombies or nuclear war)?

Thanks

castana
Honored Guest
Hi Luciferous
First, thanks for your fast answering
Since I want to do a game where the world is destroyed and then the avatar has that start a new civilitation, I guess Apocalypse novel or any reason would be fine for me and these novel could be sci-fi ( not only with VR)
Thanks for your help and sorry for mi little english.
Alejandro

Luciferous
Consultant
I recently read "Girl with all the gifts" by M. R. Carey (I think they are releasing a film of it later this year)
Very good read about the end of civilization and the start of a new one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-All-Gifts-M-Carey/dp/0356500152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464211471&sr=8...

castana
Honored Guest
Hi Luciferous,
I will looking it asap !
Thanks for the info !
Regards
Alejandro