cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Light Rays are bad

benplace
Rising Star
I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

148 REPLIES 148

MAYAman
Explorer

keithianw said:

How much time have you put into not staring at the logo and title page and seeing the problem is basically non existent inside the experiences themselves? That is what almost every Rift owner has stated...so far.

This is COMPLETELY NOT TRUE!  I have it in every game that has a light source with a background that has contrast to that light source.  Please don't make people out to be kooks, this is a severe problem and I'm literally astonished that Oculus released this in this state.  The DK2 had it right.  

MAYAman
Explorer

Nacaryus said:

I wonder if Playstation VR will have God Rays !!??

It will not.

sneppid
Explorer
Greasy lenses can make the effect much worse. The included microfibre towelette thing I found was not actually very good at keeping the lenses clean -- blacks were lighter greys and lots of flaring on high-contrast elements. Used a camera-grade cloth instead, made everything a lot more acceptable. Deep blacks and minimal god-rays.

I don't find it a distraction while playing any game, just in menus/etc!

jon
Heroic Explorer

MAYAman said:

keithianw said:

How much time have you put into not staring at the logo and title page and seeing the problem is basically non existent inside the experiences themselves? That is what almost every Rift owner has stated...so far.

This is COMPLETELY NOT TRUE!  I have it in every game that has a light source with a background that has contrast to that light source.  Please don't make people out to be kooks, this is a severe problem and I'm literally astonished that Oculus released this in this state.  The DK2 had it right.  

It'll be in all high contrast scenes, and it seems like people who prefer Elite Dangerous are inclined to be most vocal about it due to the contrast of illuminated panels against the dark of space.  Oddly, EvE Valkyrie doesn't suffer from the problem much at all.

As for it being a severe problem, I don't agree there.  Both HMDs have the same issue as it's the negative tradeoff of using a Fresnel lens.  I don't know if I'd argue that the DK2 had it right, either, as the lens in the DK2 was deeper (constraining the size of the HMD), heavier (adding to the weight of the HMD) and had a smaller area in focus (reducing the clarity of objects in the periphery).  I'll happily take the godrays as they exist in the CV1 over that, and assume that with Vive and CV1 both suffering from them we'll see fewer developers employ high contrast lighting in their applications.

jon
Heroic Explorer

MAYAman said:

Nacaryus said:

I wonder if Playstation VR will have God Rays !!??

It will not.

Is the PSVR using Fresnel lenses?  If so, expect some degree of god rays.

okwoode
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qxAk3QQQDQ still waiting for mine, thats fine. dont look that bad too me, but im not fussy. thank oculus for making this happen in the first place.... oh the future. 4k or higher oled + im sure by then it will meet your expectations 

MeioJo
Expert Protege
Trying to figure this out.. please take poll 😉

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37063/god-rays-poll#latest

Numix
Honored Guest
I am very disapointed with the smearing / halo / god rays effects. I never saw such effect in Gear VR nor even the cheapest google cardboard. its strange nobody talked about it before in tests and reviews... Its a big issue from my point of view. But maybe my lenses are defectuous ? And the problem is more visible on my CV1 ? But how can i verify ? I will try to find someonelse that has the CV1 and compare.

maxpare79
Trustee
I saw the God Rays on mine for the first few days, now I don't even see them anymore, it's a non-issue, the human brain has a way of filtering out stuff...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

bjornberg
Protege
Max, you need to change "it's a non-issue" to "it's a non-issue to me" and "the human" to "my". Then your post make sense. And Im glad you dont have a problem with your HMD. But you have no idéa how other HMD behave. Unless of course you have tried multiple units from different batches and found them all equal. Please enlight me if you have, I'd love to hear from someone who has.