cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

God Rays Poll

MeioJo
Expert Protege
I'm told it's like vaseline on the screen but I have not seen this at all.

Reading all these comments something dawned on me. I use to be in a car pool and when it was my turn to drive if it was raining mildly I did not leave my wipers on but would manually use them when I thought it was necessary. This drove one fellow in the car pool almost insane as he could not look past the rain drops to see the outside world. For me it was no problem.

I have no idea what percentage of society can or can not see thru a drop covered windshield.

24 REPLIES 24

jon
Heroic Explorer
I suspect a poll querying who stopped noticing SDE in the DK2 after a time would have a higher correlation to not being bothered by godrays in the CV1.

MeioJo
Expert Protege
It also dawns on me that people might think that drops don't bother them while not realizing how much more tolerant others can actually be.

The fellow I mentioned actually grabbed my wiper controller and turned the wipers on and I had to tell him to not touch my controls while I drove. He actually told me I was being a hazard and could not see the road...

I had to remind him I was driving just fine and could see the whole road clearly.. He said I could not and I had to point out how I was not crashing.. he was very upset but could not deny that I was not crashing. He had to close his eyes while I drove.

BrianKr
Explorer
I honest don't think godrays are a very big issue.
Moderator at http://VRTalk.com - Virtual Reality Discussion Forum

Anonymous
Not applicable

MeioJo said:

It also dawns on me that people might think that drops don't bother them while not realizing how much more tolerant others can actually be.

The fellow I mentioned actually grabbed my wiper controller and turned the wipers on and I had to tell him to not touch my controls while I drove. He actually told me I was being a hazard and could not see the road...

I had to remind him I was driving just fine and could see the whole road clearly.. He said I could not and I had to point out how I was not crashing.. he was very upset but could not deny that I was not crashing. He had to close his eyes while I drove.

This almost sounds like my wife and I when I'm driving; I use RainX but, she hates it when I don't use the wipers.

MeioJo
Expert Protege
@deanogur I use to use RainX until I realized that I can see past drops that stand still just fine.. then RainX became an unneeded expense :smile:

It was RainX that taught me I could do that, as it wore off I could still see.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MeioJo Yeah but, RainX does help shed the water faster, especially when there is more dirt and debris that hold the water. The speedy drops also make it look like I'm going much faster than I actually am. 🙂

CrashFu
Consultant
Is there enough correlation for this poll to make sense?    I have to use wipers in the rain, but God rays don't bother me.

If anything, they just make lighting seem more realistic IMO.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Tumoroh
Protege
I don't think there is a correlation for this either to be honest.
As to the godrays on the rift, they ONLY bother me when the vast majority of the screen is black and there is one or few bright objects.  The most obvious / frequent occurrence is title screens / loading screens.  This didn't happen for me on the DK2 so I assume it's an issue with their new lenses.  Once the majority of the screen is active however, I don't notice this at all.

MeioJo
Expert Protege

CrashFu said:

Is there enough correlation for this poll to make sense?    I have to use wipers in the rain, but God rays don't bother me.

If anything, they just make lighting seem more realistic IMO.

I personally don't see 'God Rays' irl but there also seems to be a bit of a disconnect as to what constitutes God Rays.

Are God Rays vaseline on the screen or are they rays of light coming off of objects. I hope that you don't see the world as though you have vaseline on your eyes so I must assume you mean that you mean that in real life you see rays of light coming off of objects and this is real for you.

I also do not see rays of light coming off of objects unless I am behind glass of some kind so even that would not be realistic for me.

With the Rift in highly contrasted areas like menus I do see some blurring as the lenses are designed to do that and I would rather see a sharp image but the rez of the panels needed for that are not currently available.

The blurring is very minor and localized to said menu but the thing I notice most are the pixels...