cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

God Rays Poll

MeioJo
Expert Protege
I'm told it's like vaseline on the screen but I have not seen this at all.

Reading all these comments something dawned on me. I use to be in a car pool and when it was my turn to drive if it was raining mildly I did not leave my wipers on but would manually use them when I thought it was necessary. This drove one fellow in the car pool almost insane as he could not look past the rain drops to see the outside world. For me it was no problem.

I have no idea what percentage of society can or can not see thru a drop covered windshield.

24 REPLIES 24

weasel47
Heroic Explorer
A corollary to the raindrops thing: I got very good at adjusting my focus to "see" stereograms / Magic Eye images. They were the next best thing to VR, back in the 90s 😄

https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+eye&client=ms-android-verizon&source=lnms&prmd=ivsn&tbm=isch&s...

MeioJo
Expert Protege
@weasel47  Yes that was the point.. good catch. I have been collecting and creating stereo images for years now and controlling your focus is a learned thing.. a thing that can be practiced by looking thru a window and focusing on the dirt on the window then past it, back and forth for a few minutes.

I should have explained that as well i guess.

MeioJo
Expert Protege
I just read a post where a person mentions that his face sweats with the Rift on.

I wonder if this is the cause of the vaseline on the screen effect?

My skin would be dry except for the fact that I make a point of eating things that keep it elastic ie. coconut oil, fish, vitamin e suppliants so I don't tend to sweat much beside my pits, back and chest in that order as I get hot.

It makes sense that blurring would grow with moisture.

MeioJo
Expert Protege
This is making more and more sense... if your face is sweating even a little over time moisture will get not only on the lenses but perhaps even onto the other side of the lenses.

One fellow said he puts a fan on himself while he plays trying to stop his face from sweating.

Combine that with people saying that the God Rays showed up after a few days and I think that it would be better to put a fan on the rift while not in use to dry up any moisture that build up while playing... perhaps even some sort of desiccate like they put into cloths so they don't mold.

MeioJo
Expert Protege
Another note to all of this.. the face foam that is attached to the headset is loose on my headset...it stays in but it is not 'clicked' in.. was thinking about complaining but that might just be saving me from having moisture build up as it might be allowing air to get in to the rift while it is not in use as I have 2 ceiling fans constantly running where the rift is kept.

I am constantly having to push the foam back into the head set when I pick it up.

Veraxus
Protege
The "vaseline effect" (as well as the "god rays") are the result of the fresnel lenses in the CV1. The DK1 & DK2 did not have these issues. What happens is that light refracts off the fresnel ridges in a circular pattern. Around the edges of the lens, it will look like "bloom", but for points of light shining into the lens (white text, the firefly in LOST, et al), you will see a conical ray pattern that matches the radial pattern of the lens. The fact that there two lenses and a stereoscopic image is what gives the conical refraction that 3D "god ray" effect.

Aside from Oculus dumping the horrible fresnel lenses (which I suspect they chose to reduce the "screen door effect"), there is no way to solve this. A radial polarization filter over each lens might reduce it, but it would also dim the image like 3D movie glasses do.

IMO, using fresnel lenses was a huge mistake. Having worked in the entertainment media industry for over a decade I can't not see it.
My PC: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I | Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.8Ghz | 32GB RAM | MSI Ventus 3X GeForce 3090 | Samsung 840 EVO 2TB SSD X2 | Windows 11 x64

DesmondJ
Explorer
Veraxus said:
using fresnel lenses was a huge mistake.

I couldn't agree more.
The lenses are BY FAR the biggest issue for me right now.

MeioJo
Expert Protege
well perhaps moisture exasperates the problem?

It is most certainly not a problem for me with moisture or God Rays.

Here I show why I might not have a moisture buildup

0n5sarjf5at3.jpg

xku8cqd4r4df.jpg

9fxlcjrw0lwq.jpg

It's like a mild wind tunnel here.

BrunoVR
Protege
I prefer SDE over god rays.  I'm debating selling my CV1 and going back to DK2.  I need to play more with the CV1 to make a good decision.

jon
Heroic Explorer
Subsequent models could up the brightness to offset the loss from polarization, similar to NVIDIA's light boost.