cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens cleaning cv1

mrhomely
Protege
So I have some inevitable small smudges on my cv1 lenses. I cleaned them with the provided cloth and while the lenses sure look clear, the God rays seems to be quite a bit humm well worse. I'm assuming that the cloth just smoothed out the smudges to be all across the lenses. So I was thinking of getting the cleaners the pros use for camera's and highend optics...thought I would run it by you guys first
19 REPLIES 19

mrhomely
Protege
My understanding is that the cv1 lenses are also NOT made of glass and are some sort of polymer? Im really worried that iso might react negatively with the polymer. Any confirmed cleaners out there?

memg8123
Honored Guest
I have the similar experiance with 'God Rays' with the cv1.  I tried using different micro cloth (new one of course) from my eye doctor.  That seems clear out few effects.  However, that doesn't solve the issue, where I can still notice the rays around my eyes when at a high contrast theme.  Hope someone out there have better solution.

mrhomely
Protege
I know that the God rays are just going to be there but after I cleaned it with the provided cloth they're quite a bit worse. I'm assuming that I just smoothed the smudges around the lenses and didn't actually clean them off.

Category5x
Protege
My eye doctor gives out leader lens cleaner.  It is alcohol free and safe for use on all types of lenses and coatings.  It does a killer job on my glasses which are not glass, and have a lot of coatings.  I have also started using it to clean my computer and ipad screens.  It's pretty darn good.  Gets all oils off without a bit of streaking.  I bet it would be fine for the rift's lenses, as it's specially designed to be gentle on polycarbonate lenses.

mrhomely
Protege
Got a link to where I can buy this wonderful product? :smiley:

RobHermans
Superstar
These are recommended (unofficially) by an Oculus staff member:

bskh6luouxhf.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/MCR-Anti-fog-Premoistened-Towelettes-UB700/dp/B004Z29L9K

The CV1 lenses are indeed made of a non-glass material, and isopropyl alcohol is not friendly to plastics, so avoid that. The included microfiber cloth is safe to use, but with very little pressure. Scratches can result if dust is not removed before using the cloth, so I'm planning to use a puffer (like those used by photographers) to clear any dust, then lightly wipe with a towelette, and finally a very light wipe with a microfibre cloth if needed.

mrhomely
Protege
You guys are sweet! Thanks a ton! I'm glad I asked before screwing up my lenses.

Category5x
Protege

jon
Heroic Explorer
I still have my lens wipe from the DK2, which was apparently very good at cleaning godrays.  Combined with the lens wipe from the CV1, which is clearly very good are removing SDE, my CV1 stays tip top all the time.

(please do not run off and try to buy a DK2 lens wipe on ebay after reading this, I'll feel bad.)