cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The True About DRM - Palmer lied to us.

EliteSPA
Superstar
A good video explaining why are people pissed off with Oculus about the new DRM update included in 1.4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkQJ4qh9mY0

Hillarius the quote of Palmer on reddit 5 months ago.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
51 REPLIES 51

nightauditor198
Adventurer
Hmm, that actually worries me quite a bit. I don´t think that it is a good business choice and the whole philosophy of it makes me want to consider other products.

Still looking forward to my CV1 of course, but policies like this might influence my choice for the next headset.

Not a classy move Oculus, assuming it works as described in this video.

oscope
Protege
So wait. The video confused me a bit. I realize oculus store games will check to verify the oculus HMD, however, will the oculus HMD still work on steam? If it's not going to work on steam I'll be canceling my order today, which I really don't want to do since its so close to my ship date. I don't like the way oculus is going with this. I can almost guarantee all my VR game purchases will be through steam no matter how good an exclusive title on oculus home might look.

EliteSPA
Superstar
@oscope If you buy a game from the Oculus Store you can only use it with the CV1 cause the DRM checks if your rift is installed on the current machine. But if you buy anything from STEAM you are able to play it on both, and yes steam works with both HMD. Valve dont do DRM thats the way should work on Oculus, also with the new update is now easier to hack those Home games.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
It is the Facebook phylosophy to push everything to the limits till users complain a lot. Mark is the CEO who dictates the decisions made by Oculus after the purchase. You can expect to see more of the same types of decisions being made for Oculus as FB. 
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

EliteSPA
Superstar
@twisteklabs Revive pissed them off  😛

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer

EliteSPA said:

True, but Palmer has nothing to do with Mark's decisions. Palmer is a nice guy, but to put it in terms of GoT, he has to bend his knee to Mark Zukerberg. We can not take Palmer's words seriously after FB took over Oculus. 
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

EliteSPA
Superstar

EliteSPA said:

True, but Palmer has nothing to do with Mark's decisions. Palmer is a nice guy, but to put it in terms of GoT, he has to bend his knee to Mark Zukerberg. We can not take Palmer's words seriously after FB took over Oculus. 

Sorry that quote of Palmer was after FB bought Oculus.

Hanover
Rising Star
*shrug*

...and who has better games right now?  Valves laissez faire approach to their content is obviously not working, and Oculus isn't responsible for what's on Steam.  I have to admit I'm feeling a bit of Schadenfreude towards Vive fan-boys at this point.  You pretend to "fight" some fight for mankind, but when it comes down to it, you really just want your cake and eat it too.

Nobody thinks the current Oculus approach is going to last forever, but apparently it's working at the moment since they have all the best games and developers keep signing up to develop for the platform.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Offtopic: This has been released today and is free.
Waltz of the Wizard (HTC VIVE)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/436820/?snr=1_620_4_1401_47

Enjoy!