cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The True About DRM - Palmer lied to us.

EliteSPA
Superstar
A good video explaining why are people pissed off with Oculus about the new DRM update included in 1.4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkQJ4qh9mY0

Hillarius the quote of Palmer on reddit 5 months ago.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
51 REPLIES 51

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer

EliteSPA said:

EliteSPA said:

@twisteklabs Revive pissed them off  😛

True, but Palmer has nothing to do with Mark's decisions. Palmer is a nice guy, but to put it in terms of GoT, he has to bend his knee to Mark Zukerberg. We can not take Palmer's words seriously after FB took over Oculus. 

Sorry that quote of Palmer was after FB bought Oculus.

Yup, any words from Palmer are mere suggestions to Mark. Palmer is not the decision maker as part of FB. 
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

jon
Heroic Explorer
Selective quoting once again...

The following was from Oculus (the company) and not Palmer Luckey (the hype-man) specifically regarding Revive on April 19th (far more recently than the abused Luckey quote):

“This is a hack, and we don’t condone it,” Oculus VR said in a statement issued to VRFocus. “Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software.”

As for "Why are people pissed off with Oculus about the new DRM update included in 1.4", it's generally because of one of three things:

1. They were somehow aware of Revive, but unaware of Oculus' official position when making purchases in Oculus Home.

2. They were aware of Oculus' official position, ignored it and made purchases on Oculus Home regardless.  They now feel as though they're being punished for ignoring the public warning in the first place.

3. Whether or not they were aware of Oculus' official position, they want 'free stuff' and are now angry that 'free stuff' is being taken away from them.

Those who fall into category #1 I have some sympathy for, but generally feel it would require selective and almost willful ignorance to be aware of Revive, and not know Oculus' official, publicly expressed position.  #2 and #3 I have very little sympathy for.

This doesn't even go into the matter of why Vive isn't properly supported on Oculus Home and who is responsible, but that's a matter for another thread.... or four.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

jon said:

“This is a hack, and we don’t condone it,” Oculus VR said in a statement issued to VRFocus. “Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software.”

"if customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want"

What's selective quoting got to do with anything? No different meaning will ever come out of these two fundamentally different statements, no matter how much context you provide.

jon
Heroic Explorer

Gigantoad said:

jon said:

"if customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want"

What's selective quoting got to do with anything? No different meaning will ever come out of these two fundamentally different statements, no matter how much context you provide.

One of the sentences in my post that you chose not to quote:

The following was from Oculus (the company) and not Palmer Luckey (the hype-man) specifically regarding Revive on April 19th (far more recently than the abused Luckey quote):

Heavily implies if not explicitly points out that one quote not only specifically refers to Revive and how it operates, but was made explicitly by the company and made much more recently than the other, more general quote by Palmer Luckey.  How selective quoting factors into it is through your deliberate choice of the less applicable quote over the other.

Gigantoad
Adventurer
Are you saying Palmer's statements differ from that of his company? i guess I can agree with that. Still Palmer very much is perceived as the man behind Oculus, so i don't see how this justifies him saying anything he feels like and then Oculus doing the exact opposite. And you blame it all on selective quoting as if the underlying problem wasn't an entirely different one.

jon
Heroic Explorer

Gigantoad said:

Are you saying Palmer's statements differ from that of his company? i guess I can agree with that.

Beyond that, Palmer's quote is less authorative, more generalized and older than the one from Oculus proper.  If you're trying to divine Oculus' position on the matter the direct quote from Oculus made far more recently, specifically on Revive should have reasonably set expectations.

Gigantoad
Adventurer
Right, so basically ignore everything Palmer says, despite him "having said it millions of times and counter to the current circlejerk", to put it in his own words.

I for one think it's more than adequate to quote him on such statements if they turn out to be complete hogwash. And once again, selective quoting has jack all to do with it. You are using a quote by Oculus proper made after Palmer said the exact opposite to justify Oculus' recent actions and that's fine. But the video was about what Palmer said and what ended up happening.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
haven't we discussed this ad nauseum already at least a week ago. 
Nothing new here. Oculus is trying something to see if it floats. Vive users are pissed and feel entitled. 

The whole issue wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the fact that apparently some games exist that are sold on Oculus home that Vive users want to play. 

Sod it, I'm not getting on this merry-go-round again.

SnipeUout
Explorer
At this point in time Palmer is a corporate puppet. At one time he may of had some control of the platform, however now he apparently doesn't. His efforts were noble in the begging but after a 2 billon dollar buyout and being worth 700 million dollars, your initial ethos changes. I don't blame him at all, I blame the corporate component. Bottom-line is Oculus is here for your money, and if you want to play Lucky's Tale then you also have to buy an Rift.

jon
Heroic Explorer
On a technical level the thread was about why some people were upset at the DRM present in the Oculus Home 1.4 patch, and the video was cited as evidence in the opening post.  Mentioning Luckey's older quotes is well within reason, and is even needed to understand Oculus' full position as it evolved on the matter concerning Oculus Home 1.4 and Revive.  Failing to mention the more recent and specific quote from Oculus proper was simply a matter of selective quotation for the purpose of pursasion in their argument, which I felt should be pointed out.  Mission accomplished, as it were.