cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It lived for 3 glorious minutes

conquerortulin
Sightseer

Hey guys, checking in to see if you have any recommendations or words of wisdom (or sympathy!!!) while I wait for my ticket to slowly process ~

My computer is approved for Oculus use and my Oculus initially installed successfully. I was able to access Home and the virtual Store. However, the Dream Deck auto-launch failed, and when I attempted to launch it later after installing manually, Oculus gave the error, "this app is taking too long..." and then crashed. I had to force close and restart my computer.

Upon restarting, I could no longer activate the Oculus, although the orange light was still on. It began giving me the error "this hardware is not supported."

Four times since, I've attempted to uninstall and reinstall the Oculus drivers. Upon installation, the Oculus headset is not recognized at all - it remains dark with no lights. My computer detects the Oculus sensor hardware, but it doesn't light up. The actual Oculus program jumps straight to "Adjust Your Lenses/Continue in Your Headset." It doesn't give me the opportunity to test my hardware connections.

All connectors are in USB 3.0. The Oculus HDMI (as well as my primary monitor) are both connected to my graphics card. HDMI connectors looked ok upon examination. The cord is plugged firmly into the headset. I've resorted to just trying random USB 3.0 ports, but although the sensor always installs its drivers, the headset stays dead as a doornail. 

Maybe there's a power switch I'm missing???

Anyway, please let me know if you have any other reccs for what I can try. Just standing in Home was a pretty amazing experience...SO bummed it all went to #@# before I could see what the Dream Deck is like. Much less Apollo 11...

81h4wb3areqo.jpg
8 REPLIES 8

Cmndr-Hill
Expert Protege
Hi I do not have my rift yet.... But it sounds like a problem reported in some old posts here, Did your pc go into hibernation before it stopped working? if so there is a fix . 😄

VrSponge
Expert Protege
Driver issue maybe? Reinstall OS and you should be good.

conquerortulin
Sightseer
@Cmndr-Hill not hibernation, but it did restart, including a bunch of windows updates. What's the fix??

@VRSponge thanks, will keep in mind. I would like to try a few more things before full-on reinstallation. 

Cmndr-Hill
Expert Protege

@Cmndr-Hill not hibernation, but it did restart, including a bunch of windows updates. What's the fix??

@VRSponge thanks, will keep in mind. I would like to try a few more things before full-on reinstallation. 

Sorry, I have tried to find the post without success.

It might be a driver that has not loaded correctly. Try unplugging the rift and updating the drivers then plug it back in.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Uninstall Oculus Runtime and drivers then shutdown PC. Unplug anything to do with the Rift from your computer and any other usb or hdmi you don't use. Now reboot your PC without any of those things plugged in and reinstall your Oculus setup the way it says.

conquerortulin
Sightseer
Ok embarrassing, but to close the loop: after trying what felt like EVERYTHING, including an ill-advised uninstallation of all USB drivers, I discovered that the problem was....drum roll.......AN UNSEATED CABLE!!! The power/usb cable had come unseated, and although I thought I'd plugged it back in, I didn't realize that it actually *clicks* into place. 

Thank you all for your help. Let this particular thread stand as proof that sometimes the answer to a seemingly intractable problem...is really freakin easy! 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@conquerortulin - Who advised you to uninstall USB drivers? Was it Oculus support? You did say it was the power/usb not seated, so who ever told you was on the right track. How would they know you hadn't plugged it in? They would just suspect it was a problem with your USB and it turns out it was. That's why I more or less told you to unplugged everything and start again. People can only go by what you tell them, remember they can't see what you're seeing.

glad you got it sorted @conquerortulin, there are no embarrassing problems, just happy solutions. My sexual health doctor told me that