CV1 Light Rays are bad - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CV1 Light Rays are bad

Comments

• L.E.D.BLUEL.E.D.BLUE Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    whoa182 said:
    Sounds silly to be embarrassed about showing your Rift off.

Here's my experience showing to people: Every single one of them are blown away by the Rift. And they all want one - right now. Half of them were skeptical and weren't even particularly interested in VR.

And they can't stop talking about it to people. 
    And then how many of them actually went out and preordered it? None?
  • skater0skater0 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I prefer the light rays to the DK2 if there's a real trade off to the differences. I also want to say that if reduced FOV is another trade off, then I'm over that now and prefer it as well. Removing the clip adds quite a bit of FOV, but I decided the comfort of the clip was the better of the two. No doubt the oculus team went through all the same decisions. While I admittedly wished for a better improvement over the DK2, I am quite pleased with the CV1 they designed.
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    whoa182 said:
    Sounds silly to be embarrassed about showing your Rift off.

Here's my experience showing to people: Every single one of them are blown away by the Rift. And they all want one - right now. Half of them were skeptical and weren't even particularly interested in VR.

And they can't stop talking about it to people. 
    And then how many of them actually went out and preordered it? None?
    ...and how many of them had the means to get one?
  • bjornbergbjornberg Posts: 16
    @swtadeline One would hope that the lenses are without imperfections. Mine isn't, but Oculus still feels they are OK and not something they bother do anything about.

Easiest way to spot (beside seeing lots of glare) is to shine a light into the lenses and loot at the reflections in the lens. Left and right lens here in these videos, look at 1080, left has stuff in the left hand side of the lens, the right has stuff on the bottom right hand side.

• rocsenrocsen Posts: 14
    edited May 2016
    bjornberg said:
    @swtadeline One would hope that the lenses are without imperfections. Mine isn't, but Oculus still feels they are OK and not something they bother do anything about.

Easiest way to spot (beside seeing lots of glare) is to shine a light into the lenses and loot at the reflections in the lens. Left and right lens here in these videos, look at 1080, left has stuff in the left hand side of the lens, the right has stuff on the bottom right hand side.

That definitely look like imperfections in the lens. If the glare is worse in that area, then surely Oculus needs to support you?

You might be onto something here and possible why some folks complain more than others.
  • GoophobaGoophoba Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Wildt said:
    Welcome to the world of fresnel lenses. I agree it's FAR worse than ANY review sites ever described.

My personal disappointment is wearing off, as I'm getting used to it, but it IS so bad that I almost feel that the visuals are a sidestep from DK2 more than an upgrade.
    I'd have to agree. I have the same feeling with my CV1...
  • GoophobaGoophoba Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    Chewie71 said:
    I want to know why these god rays were never mentioned in pre-release reviews? Even the almighty Tested kept quiet about it. So either they deliberately hid the information or it wasnt really that bad.
    Ohh it's bad, real bad. But if the devs just keep the issue in mind you can design around it some what. I am afraid to load tecnolust... lots of dark spaces and bright neon lights, the worst combo for this issue... it's gonna be awful I fear. May break out the dk2 for that game, we'll have to see.
  • fullmeltfullmelt Posts: 276
    Art3mis
    Might not be a good idea to shine a light into the lenses because it says. Do not shine a laser or external light source through the lenses as it might damage the displays, under product care and maintenance in the health & safety and warranty guide.
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / I7 4790K 4.7 GHz OC / NZXT Kraken X61 280mm / 16 gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 Mhz / Evga GTX 980 SC OC, GPU Clock +124 MHz, MEM Clock +175 MHz / ADATA 256 gb SSD, CORSAIR 120 gb SSD, 2 TB HHD / win 10.
    Yea, cause we all know that displays breaks when we shine a flashlight on them... These lenses spread the light, not focus it. Laser can be anyrhing from a red pointer to green "torch a wooden wall" kind. But "external light source" is just legalese bullshit.
  • MAYAmanMAYAman Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    keithianw said:
    How much time have you put into not staring at the logo and title page and seeing the problem is basically non existent inside the experiences themselves? That is what almost every Rift owner has stated...so far.
    This is COMPLETELY NOT TRUE!  I have it in every game that has a light source with a background that has contrast to that light source.  Please don't make people out to be kooks, this is a severe problem and I'm literally astonished that Oculus released this in this state.  The DK2 had it right.  
  • MAYAmanMAYAman Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Nacaryus said:
    I wonder if Playstation VR will have God Rays !!??
    It will not.
  • sneppidsneppid Posts: 5
    Greasy lenses can make the effect much worse. The included microfibre towelette thing I found was not actually very good at keeping the lenses clean -- blacks were lighter greys and lots of flaring on high-contrast elements. Used a camera-grade cloth instead, made everything a lot more acceptable. Deep blacks and minimal god-rays.

I don't find it a distraction while playing any game, just in menus/etc!
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    MAYAman said:
    keithianw said:
    How much time have you put into not staring at the logo and title page and seeing the problem is basically non existent inside the experiences themselves? That is what almost every Rift owner has stated...so far.
    This is COMPLETELY NOT TRUE!  I have it in every game that has a light source with a background that has contrast to that light source.  Please don't make people out to be kooks, this is a severe problem and I'm literally astonished that Oculus released this in this state.  The DK2 had it right.  

It'll be in all high contrast scenes, and it seems like people who prefer Elite Dangerous are inclined to be most vocal about it due to the contrast of illuminated panels against the dark of space.  Oddly, EvE Valkyrie doesn't suffer from the problem much at all.

As for it being a severe problem, I don't agree there.  Both HMDs have the same issue as it's the negative tradeoff of using a Fresnel lens.  I don't know if I'd argue that the DK2 had it right, either, as the lens in the DK2 was deeper (constraining the size of the HMD), heavier (adding to the weight of the HMD) and had a smaller area in focus (reducing the clarity of objects in the periphery).  I'll happily take the godrays as they exist in the CV1 over that, and assume that with Vive and CV1 both suffering from them we'll see fewer developers employ high contrast lighting in their applications.
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    MAYAman said:
    Nacaryus said:
    I wonder if Playstation VR will have God Rays !!??
    It will not.

Is the PSVR using Fresnel lenses?  If so, expect some degree of god rays.
  • okwoodeokwoode Posts: 16
    still waiting for mine, thats fine. dont look that bad too me, but im not fussy. thank oculus for making this happen in the first place.... oh the future. 4k or higher oled + im sure by then it will meet your expectations 
  • MeioJoMeioJo Posts: 167
  • NumixNumix Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I am very disapointed with the smearing / halo / god rays effects. I never saw such effect in Gear VR nor even the cheapest google cardboard. its strange nobody talked about it before in tests and reviews... Its a big issue from my point of view. But maybe my lenses are defectuous ? And the problem is more visible on my CV1 ? But how can i verify ? I will try to find someonelse that has the CV1 and compare.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,779
    Project 2501
    I saw the God Rays on mine for the first few days, now I don't even see them anymore, it's a non-issue, the human brain has a way of filtering out stuff...
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Max, you need to change "it's a non-issue" to "it's a non-issue to me" and "the human" to "my". Then your post make sense. And Im glad you dont have a problem with your HMD. But you have no idéa how other HMD behave. Unless of course you have tried multiple units from different batches and found them all equal. Please enlight me if you have, I'd love to hear from someone who has.
  • deanogurdeanogur Posts: 456
    Nexus 6
    The light rays don't bother me much; I'd prefer they weren't there but, I get that they are a trade off for improved image quality and I try to accept them as something of an "effect" more than a flaw. It's a bit like looking through a well-used helmet visor but, I can understand that it's too much for some.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,931 Volunteer Moderator

Until something like near-eye light-field tech comes along, we have a choice of Fresnel or conventional lenses. The conventional lenses that were used with DK2 suffered from more chromatic aberration and smaller sweet-spots. Fresnels suffer from light rays.

I was curious as to how many people preferred each type of lens so did a poll... the poll also looks to differentiate between people who have used CV1 and those who are worried because of reading forum posts... have a look

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36473/lens-technology-preference-poll#latest

please vote if you haven't

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,779
    Project 2501
    @bjornberg I have tried 3 headsets 1 is mine and 2 are my friends, and they are both exactly the same, we can't see any difference in quality in the 3. Did correct my post a bit, except the human part because it's Provencher that the human brain and not just mine can adapt to anything... Unless I am an alien coming here to conquer you all :p

I am sorry to hear you are having issues
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • bo3bbo3b Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Overall, I'm pretty impressed with Rift for a first-gen product.  It's an interesting and unique experience.

However, I do think the god-rays are a very serious problem that detract in all aspects from presence.  Whenever I'm looking around, I see the light smear moving, and that's a poor experience.  You can see the smear on anything bright. It's not just brights on dark background.  If you look at the game titles at Oculus Home you can see god rays coming off the letters.  Passable there, but dark rooms and dark experiences don't fare well.

In particular- Oculus Video.  God rays are a deal breaker for the virtual cinema.  It's super annoying to be watching a movie in this cool spot, and then have bright/contrast smear moving on screen showing up as god rays.  Very much immersion and presence breaking.  

In my opinion, virtual cinema is not worth using because of this problem.  If I'm watching 2D video, no way am I watching it here with smear.
  • SnipeUoutSnipeUout Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    This will get fixed one day, maybe a curved screen?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,250 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    I beat Farlands and uploaded multiple screenshots. Aside from the logo there is zero God Rays as an issue.

Chewie71 said:
    I want to know why these god rays were never mentioned in pre-release reviews? Even the almighty Tested kept quiet about it. So either they deliberately hid the information or it wasnt really that bad.
    Probably because no one reviews logo's and loading screens. 10 seconds of God rays vs 10 hours of beautiful gameplay? Including God Rays as a major part of a VR analysis is like talking only about the weather when trying to write a car review.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited June 2016

The rays don't exactly disappear in overall bright scenes.. they're just all over, so not noticeable as rays... they just result in a reduced contrast which is partially compensated for by the higher contrast ration of the OLED screens, but I feel I can still perceive the hazier contrast.

Personally I'd say neither type of lens (conventional or Fresnel) is perfect and I don't really have a preference.. just looking forward to more advanced tech hopefully with 2nd gen headsets.

I should add that I've completely gotten used to the lenses now & really have no issues with them

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    edited June 2016
    I've been inside crazy color schemes with the Rift and experienced little to no God Rays, like this...

• bo3bbo3b Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    Neither Farlands nor your example image here are good examples.  Neither are high-contrast.

Go sit in the virtual cinema and watch a movie in the dark room and see.
    edited June 2016
    bo3b said:
    Neither Farlands nor your example image here are good examples.  Neither are high-contrast.

Go sit in the virtual cinema and watch a movie in the dark room and see.
    Not sure if you noticed but there is a movie playing in the Technolust screenshot. That film will play in its entirety. And I've watched Netflix with my Rift as well with zero issues.

Instead of pretending that I'm giving bad examples why don't you provide some visuals of your own.
    edited June 2016

I've noted in my review of CV1 that developers need to take into account Fresnel lenses when designing games and experiences... I don't like watching movies in a dark environment for that reason... a virtual cinema with some ambient lighting is much much better. If you're looking for high contrast scenes, you'll certainly find them.