cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Light Rays are bad

benplace
Rising Star
I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

148 REPLIES 148

Anonymous
Not applicable
The light rays don't bother me much; I'd prefer they weren't there but, I get that they are a trade off for improved image quality and I try to accept them as something of an "effect" more than a flaw. It's a bit like looking through a well-used helmet visor but, I can understand that it's too much for some.

Until something like near-eye light-field tech comes along, we have a choice of Fresnel or conventional lenses. The conventional lenses that were used with DK2 suffered from more chromatic aberration and smaller sweet-spots. Fresnels suffer from light rays.

I was curious as to how many people preferred each type of lens so did a poll... the poll also looks to differentiate between people who have used CV1 and those who are worried because of reading forum posts... have a look

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36473/lens-technology-preference-poll#latest

please vote if you haven't

maxpare79
Trustee
@bjornberg I have tried 3 headsets 1 is mine and 2 are my friends, and they are both exactly the same, we can't see any difference in quality in the 3. Did correct my post a bit, except the human part because it's Provencher that the human brain and not just mine can adapt to anything... Unless I am an alien coming here to conquer you all 😛

I am sorry to hear you are having issues
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

bo3b
Expert Protege
Overall, I'm pretty impressed with Rift for a first-gen product.  It's an interesting and unique experience.

However, I do think the god-rays are a very serious problem that detract in all aspects from presence.  Whenever I'm looking around, I see the light smear moving, and that's a poor experience.  You can see the smear on anything bright. It's not just brights on dark background.  If you look at the game titles at Oculus Home you can see god rays coming off the letters.  Passable there, but dark rooms and dark experiences don't fare well.

In particular- Oculus Video.  God rays are a deal breaker for the virtual cinema.  It's super annoying to be watching a movie in this cool spot, and then have bright/contrast smear moving on screen showing up as god rays.  Very much immersion and presence breaking.  

In my opinion, virtual cinema is not worth using because of this problem.  If I'm watching 2D video, no way am I watching it here with smear.

SnipeUout
Explorer
This will get fixed one day, maybe a curved screen?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I beat Farlands and uploaded multiple screenshots. Aside from the logo there is zero God Rays as an issue.

Chewie71 said:

I want to know why these god rays were never mentioned in pre-release reviews? Even the almighty Tested kept quiet about it. So either they deliberately hid the information or it wasnt really that bad.

Probably because no one reviews logo's and loading screens. 10 seconds of God rays vs 10 hours of beautiful gameplay? Including God Rays as a major part of a VR analysis is like talking only about the weather when trying to write a car review.

The rays don't exactly disappear in overall bright scenes.. they're just all over, so not noticeable as rays... they just result in a reduced contrast which is partially compensated for by the higher contrast ration of the OLED screens, but I feel I can still perceive the hazier contrast.

Personally I'd say neither type of lens (conventional or Fresnel) is perfect and I don't really have a preference.. just looking forward to more advanced tech hopefully with 2nd gen headsets.

I should add that I've completely gotten used to the lenses now & really have no issues with them

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I've been inside crazy color schemes with the Rift and experienced little to no God Rays, like this...

bo3b
Expert Protege
Neither Farlands nor your example image here are good examples.  Neither are high-contrast.

Go sit in the virtual cinema and watch a movie in the dark room and see.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

bo3b said:

Neither Farlands nor your example image here are good examples.  Neither are high-contrast.

Go sit in the virtual cinema and watch a movie in the dark room and see.

Not sure if you noticed but there is a movie playing in the Technolust screenshot. That film will play in its entirety. And I've watched Netflix with my Rift as well with zero issues.

Instead of pretending that I'm giving bad examples why don't you provide some visuals of your own.