cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen on Oculus Rift CV1

SirDRSpiderpig
Explorer
So I started out in the DK2 and pre-ordered the CV1 when it started.  Got my around April 20th and have enjoyed using it since.  I flight DCS flight simulator and make videos about flying with the rift.  Overall, I love the CV1 and really want to get it working again. Last time it worked was on May 21.

I have a i7-4700k cpu, 16 gb 1866 ram, EVGA geoForce 980 video card, ssd hard drives.  My motherboard only has 2 usb 3.0 slots, so I got the card Oculus recommend with 5 USB 3.0 slots.  I keep all my usb connections on my motherboard, and leave the PCIe card for oculus only.  I've used the HDMI input on the video card for the oculus rift.

So last sunday my online squad had a flight and I wanted to record it and use the Oculus rift.  When I went to use it, I noticed audio was working, but no image on screen.  Figuring minor thing, I rebooted machine and tried again - same results.  So I went into the preferences and looked at the devices and both where connected, but it gave me a USB 3.0 warning.  So I went and grabbed latest USB 3.0 from website, installed it, rebooted, tested again - black screen.  The devices screen shows both sensor and headset connected ok.  

So I tried changing the USB from all my devices using the PCIe card and the rift and sensor using my motherboard USB 3.0 connection - same thing, both connected, black screen.  So I emailed support.  He got back initially very quick and told me to check video card to see if there is a driver update.  I checked, there was, I applied it, rebooted, tried again - black screen.  Also had me unplug the connector from headset and plug it back in...did that with same results.  Went back and forth with support for a little, and after last check he hasn't responded back since Sunday.

So went to forums and noticed a lot of 980 ti users were having similar issues and though maybe it was related to the 980 family of cards.  Some people had success with HMDI to DVI....but since I have 3 display ports I figured lets try that too.  So ordered about 50 dollars worth of cables and adapters and just got them in today.  

Tried the DisplayPort to HDMI first and made sure it was able to send signal to another monitor I have and it worked.  So I tried with the rift, and still black screen.  So unplugged my main monitor from DVI, moved it to a displayPort and used the DVI-HDMI adapter to plug in the rift.  Same results - black screen.  

So sensors seem to work ok because when I reboot and hold my finger against headset sensor, Oculus home comes up on computer.  So next I uninstalled the Oculus application via control panel, killed all oculus folders in my home drive and re-installed everything again.  During the setup when you need to put the headset on to configure it - black screen...so can't go any further.

So per the stick up top I got the logs and ran the diagnostic.  I'm attaching it here since I'm hoping one of you can see what's wrong with my Rift and why it won't work.

diagnostic files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwdmdm09hzr3c6r/OculusLogGatherer_BOD_20160602_052800.zip?dl=0
log files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kdmgubb5yvohwf/Testing.zip?dl=0

Video of me doing setup again...also showing all parameters are green:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQbhj2orbaA

So at this point I'm not sure how to fix it.  I'm hoping someone can help get me back up and running since it's been very frustrating.  Never had any issues with the DK2 like this and it's one of the main reasons I invested a lot in the CV1 and in upgrading my machine.
137 REPLIES 137

SirDRSpiderpig
Explorer
So I think it's the runtime version that might be causing the issue.  I uninstalled the oculus software again and did some testing.  With the DK2 plugged in I can see the desktop with it. When the CV1 is plugged in, nothing (which would make sense since the sensor doesn't know what to do yet).  With the oculus rift software installed, the DK2 is recognized but nothing comes up on the screen when any app is launched.  

So is there a way to downgrade the runtime version?  Does the oculus app update itself?

Genie52
Explorer
Hey Spiderpig, I have the same issue and very similar configuration (asus nvidia 980 gtx). Everything was working fine until one day oculus went to black. Did EXACTLY the process u did and I am stuck at the setup part where you have to put the oculus on and continue there.

I have a sneaky suspicion it was some kind of update (what kind and from who, don't know) that broke it, not the physical cable.

plugzter
Honored Guest
I had the exact same Problem with my card . (980 GTX) . None was working (mini hdmi , mini Displayport)
There must be a problem with the 980 Series.
I bought a new card (Asus GTX 1080) an now it´s working.

piercer
Explorer
I have GTX980 MXM Dual SLI. My Oculus screen continually turns on and off - still get sound, but screen goes black, comes back again, goes black, comes on again - ad infinitum - same problem?

plugzter
Honored Guest
@piercer How did you connect your Oculus? (hdmi dvi adapter)

SirDRSpiderpig
Explorer

plugzter said:

I had the exact same Problem with my card . (980 GTX) . None was working (mini hdmi , mini Displayport)
There must be a problem with the 980 Series.
I bought a new card (Asus GTX 1080) an now it´s working.

Well, since I already spent 600 bucks for the CV1, and about 600 bucks in computer upgrades - not really looking to spend another 600 bucks on another card when mine should work (and has worked) perfectly well.

I suspect it's more on the oculus runtime side though.  Because the graphics card was a driver behind when it was working and has no issues (I"m lazy on video card driver updates).  So hoping I can find how to revert to an older runtime.

piercer
Explorer
OK, I have checked the pins on my HDMI connector and two of them look very wonky 😞 Just look at the last two on the right. I am currently talking to support about this. I have heard other people had problems too.

Jadentsu
Honored Guest
So I had similar issues.  What OS are you using?  I have 8.1 installed (haven't gotten the upgrade to 10 to work yet 😕 ) and it turned out to be power management issues.  Windows power management settings were messing with my USB devices, either turning them off completely, then restarting them, or only reading my USB 3.0 as USB 2.1.  Adjusting the power management settings for my USB hubs did no good because Windows 8/8.1 is the "beta version" between 7 and 10 (as Microsoft always does, release one really bad OS between good OSes).  I had to manually go into the registry and tell Windows to turn off the power management options.  Now everything works fine.

EDIT:  I should clarify...  When I changed the settings in the Control Panel options for power management, they showed them as applied, but the registry didn't actually get updated.

TargetYou
Honored Guest
I finally received my Rift Friday, and I am having this exact same issue.

I can get to the part in setup where it asks you to put on the headset and look for the green lines.  I get nothing but a black screen.  I have tried multiple HDMI outlets and and HDMI/Display Port adapter.  I've tried multiple USB outlets as well.  I can't proceed any further. 

Running a GTX 970.

So frustrating.