cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR not detected (S7) latest update bricked it!

vapofusion
Explorer
I stopped using my Gear VR for about a week (placed in a drawer), I noticed the latest update and the gear VR is not detected by the phone when inserted. It worked before the update flawlessly and I was disappointed problems from the DK1, DK2 days have come back (completely ruining the experience).

I have tried a lot to fix this and nothing has worked. Starting with:
  • Reset phone - didn't work
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled app - didn't work
  • Factory reset phone - Worked until the Oculus app updated again...seriously
  • Tried different Gear VR - still nothing on my phone S7 (at this point the problem is obviously the phone and the only thing that has changed on my phone since the last time I used the gear VR was the oculus update
  • I have tried my Gear VR in my mates S7 and it works like normal, back in my phone nothing
I am done with Oculus at this point, Nothing but problem after problem after poor customer service. Do one thing right and help me get my device working without waiting an eternity on a reply from customer service, thanks.

Any help from someone with similar problems please chime in!
69 REPLIES 69

zproxy
Expert Protege
did you get in touch with Samsung Support?

miko
Honored Guest
Hello,

It happen on my S7 which I bought two days ago... I play with it exactly 5 minutes with the GearVR ^^
The phone asked to install updates, so I did. But after that, he didn't recognize the GearVR headset anymore...

I did a factory reset, but it does not change anything... 
My Android Version is 6.0.1
Baseband version G930FXXU1AEQ
Kernel Version : 3.18.14-8206888 (27 may 08:36:19)

Should we contact Samsung instead of Oculus ?
Thanks in advance

jasimohd
Honored Guest
Same problem here; My new S7 won't detect Gear VR after update.
Samsung: Contact Oculus.
Oculus: Contact Samsung.
Would it work with rooted firmware?

Fens
Honored Guest
I have exactly the same issue. One the Oculus app is installed my S7 refuses to detect it when plugged in. I know that it is an issue with the phone as I have tried a friends S6 in the Gear VR that works just fine.

Sarasotasun
Honored Guest
I have the same issues.  My Verizon Note 5 won't detect Gear VR now after update. Refuses to detect it at all when I plug it in.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm not aware of any known issue, but I'm having someone look into this now.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

imeji
Honored Guest
Same thing here.. my S7 go to black screen 4 sec when plug in to the Gear VR then go back to normal interface.. Same on my S6 but screen stay black and do nothing. No Oculus Home at all. 

Someone found something to go back to normal... ? I cant use gear Vr anymore and its really boring !

lfsnz67
Honored Guest
Yup. Having the same issue with my s7 edge.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same issue here with S6 on Gear VR after latest Oculus update. Gear VR asks to remove the mobile and install the applications on it. Back to square one after one day only! I think there was something wrong with the update as the phone and Gear VR were both working perfectly together yesterday.