cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen on Oculus Rift CV1

SirDRSpiderpig
Explorer
So I started out in the DK2 and pre-ordered the CV1 when it started.  Got my around April 20th and have enjoyed using it since.  I flight DCS flight simulator and make videos about flying with the rift.  Overall, I love the CV1 and really want to get it working again. Last time it worked was on May 21.

I have a i7-4700k cpu, 16 gb 1866 ram, EVGA geoForce 980 video card, ssd hard drives.  My motherboard only has 2 usb 3.0 slots, so I got the card Oculus recommend with 5 USB 3.0 slots.  I keep all my usb connections on my motherboard, and leave the PCIe card for oculus only.  I've used the HDMI input on the video card for the oculus rift.

So last sunday my online squad had a flight and I wanted to record it and use the Oculus rift.  When I went to use it, I noticed audio was working, but no image on screen.  Figuring minor thing, I rebooted machine and tried again - same results.  So I went into the preferences and looked at the devices and both where connected, but it gave me a USB 3.0 warning.  So I went and grabbed latest USB 3.0 from website, installed it, rebooted, tested again - black screen.  The devices screen shows both sensor and headset connected ok.  

So I tried changing the USB from all my devices using the PCIe card and the rift and sensor using my motherboard USB 3.0 connection - same thing, both connected, black screen.  So I emailed support.  He got back initially very quick and told me to check video card to see if there is a driver update.  I checked, there was, I applied it, rebooted, tried again - black screen.  Also had me unplug the connector from headset and plug it back in...did that with same results.  Went back and forth with support for a little, and after last check he hasn't responded back since Sunday.

So went to forums and noticed a lot of 980 ti users were having similar issues and though maybe it was related to the 980 family of cards.  Some people had success with HMDI to DVI....but since I have 3 display ports I figured lets try that too.  So ordered about 50 dollars worth of cables and adapters and just got them in today.  

Tried the DisplayPort to HDMI first and made sure it was able to send signal to another monitor I have and it worked.  So I tried with the rift, and still black screen.  So unplugged my main monitor from DVI, moved it to a displayPort and used the DVI-HDMI adapter to plug in the rift.  Same results - black screen.  

So sensors seem to work ok because when I reboot and hold my finger against headset sensor, Oculus home comes up on computer.  So next I uninstalled the Oculus application via control panel, killed all oculus folders in my home drive and re-installed everything again.  During the setup when you need to put the headset on to configure it - black screen...so can't go any further.

So per the stick up top I got the logs and ran the diagnostic.  I'm attaching it here since I'm hoping one of you can see what's wrong with my Rift and why it won't work.

diagnostic files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwdmdm09hzr3c6r/OculusLogGatherer_BOD_20160602_052800.zip?dl=0
log files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kdmgubb5yvohwf/Testing.zip?dl=0

Video of me doing setup again...also showing all parameters are green:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQbhj2orbaA

So at this point I'm not sure how to fix it.  I'm hoping someone can help get me back up and running since it's been very frustrating.  Never had any issues with the DK2 like this and it's one of the main reasons I invested a lot in the CV1 and in upgrading my machine.
137 REPLIES 137

VRon
Honored Guest
Hi I've got same problem today with an old GTX 770. 😉

But I've found how to fix it, with an HDMI to DVI adapter.

ColinB
Adventurer
And folks wonder why this contraption isn't being sold in shops !!

EliteSPA
Superstar
@SirDRSpiderpig try runtime 1.3 download it from developers.oculus
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

lindstrem
Honored Guest
I just got my Rift Today... i get to the same point when it tells me to put on the rift and continue within the headset, i have a black screen as if it was not even working and nothing else happens. i can not close the installation nor can i continue. No idea what to do... i have win7 AMD 295x2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I have the same problem with a Clevo P870DM-G and a GTX980.
However  the Oculus headset runs on two other computers with GTX970 and GTX1080.
It worked just one time when i try to disconnect and reconnect the Hdmi,USB Headset connector, but disconect just few seconds after.
And nothing since.

QSK
Explorer
same problem win 10 AMD 295x2

princevince
Honored Guest
I have the same issue. Just got my cv1 today and I got past all the setup steps until "continue in your headset" followed by a black screen in the headset. I hear sound, but no picture. I'm on Win 10, 4790k, AMD R9 295x2 with the latest drivers (also tried beta drivers).

Bushchook
Honored Guest

I have the same issue. Just got my cv1 today and I got past all the setup steps until "continue in your headset" followed by a black screen in the headset. I hear sound, but no picture. I'm on Win 10, 4790k, AMD R9 295x2 with the latest drivers (also tried beta drivers).

Got mine today too and exactly the same problem. I'm on almost the same system too with Win 10, 4790k, AMD R9 290X with the latest drivers 

QSK
Explorer
Does anyone with a AMD R9 295 x2 have this working? 

princevince
Honored Guest
Crap. So I found my solution, but there's good news and bad news...
Good news, my headset works and it is awesome! Bad news is that it only works with my old HD 7970 and not my 295x2. Looking at gettin a new vidcard since I can use this situation to justify maybe a new gtx 1080?!?  B)