cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Chaperone?

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
I think I may have stumbled upon something interesting...

Watch this video and pay particular attention to what's on the TV during the last 10 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrcZHZ14Yo

A red and black honeycomb Chaperone style grid shows up and this is the first time I've seen it in an Oculus Touch application.
To Vive owners, is this Chaperone or is this unfamiliar to you as well?

I wonder if Oculus has changed their stance on a platform common boundary system, if it's just included in Unity, or if it's unique to middleVR.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke
7 REPLIES 7

xi11ix
Adventurer
Yes, that is very similar to the Chaperone system on the Vive.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
All these videos lately showing Touch in use by devs, it makes me hopeful that we could see something near the start of H2 rather than at the end of the year... WANT!!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
That video is an example for "MiddleVR", a middleware SDK. I would bet that SDK has its own "chaperone"-style lines, something that is super butt simple for any developer to write themselves (in fact, Unity themselves did it with their older runtime desk demo). It has nothing to do with Oculus.

jademan
Heroic Explorer
Similar, yes - but the Vive chaperone just throws up a virtually transparent grid wall without altering what's behind it, instead of totally obscuring like this does, apparently.  Some already complain about the Vive chaperone transparent walls breaking immersion; however, you have options - you can use the normal grid, an "advanced user" larger & less obtrusive grid, or just a lines on the floor instead of vertical walls.  Hopefully there will be similar options for the Rift.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
I agree this is probably something MiddleVR has created as part of their application, and not an Oculus product.
I know I've read comments on this forum that Oculus isn't creating a platform-wide version of chaperone, but I'm not sure I've read anything official.  Not that Oculus provides a lot of info to begin with.  Still, I can't think of a solid excuse why Oculus would release Touch without an invisible fence.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nothing official yet, but as far as I can tell it looks like they are leaving the grid box up to devs instead. This way they can create their own style without having to add extra api calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking good. I am excited to see Touch at E3. I hope Touch is released soon. I can't wait to bridge the gap between the Vive and Rift.