cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go out of the way to get corrective lenses for A-cup lenses?

captaintrips
Explorer
Like many of us, my eye sight is crap. I often have to "squint" to read my monitor if I'm running any HD resolutions. anything farther than that, unless it's in big bold text, is unreadable. Normally, this isn't a problem (well, ok, it is), and I generally don't put much thought into getting glasses or contacts, though I've had both in the past (and they make a world of difference... at a price.)

However, Im trying to determine if I should go out of my way to get a new contact lens prescription specifically just for use with the Oculus Rift lenses. Right now, I use the C-cups... crystal clear, and I can use B-cups as well and their about as clear but with a little bit of a blur difference.

But I've been reading up that you really don't want to use C or B-cups unless you absolutely have to. That the best route is to get contacts, glasses, or laser surgery so you can use the A-cups. apparently it intensifies the sterecopic feeling and depth, and makes the world look "deeper" and things stand out more. And as you go down in lense cup lettering, this causes a decrease in stereoscopic visuals.

Just want opinions or someone to confirm this. I'd rather blow $250 on a delta six preorder (well, lets be honest, already have), or save it for the next rift or vRase headset protoypes, or put it towards Omni periphreals such as extra belts/shoes/whatever.... BUT, if it's worth the contact lenses and increased stereoscopic performance of the A-cups, guess I can put it down on a eye appointment and some contact lenses.

Fellow Rifters... your suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

Inscothen
Explorer
Since you are nearsighted, maybe give this a try. https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=394

SMOK3Y
Honored Guest
"captaintrips" wrote:
I'd rather blow $250 on a delta six preorder (well, lets be honest, already have)

ya i went in on kickstarter but havent heard anything for ages? is it still a goer?

Someguitarist
Explorer
I mean, just as someone with no experience with bad eye sight yet (knock on wood!), how is just SEEING BETTER not a number one priority?

I know it's expensive and all, but you're question is 'Should I get contacts to use the Rift?' and my answer would be 'No, get contacts to SEE!' The Rift is just an added benefit. 😉

LucidReality
Honored Guest
"Someguitarist" wrote:
I mean, just as someone with no experience with bad eye sight yet (knock on wood!), how is just SEEING BETTER not a number one priority?

I know it's expensive and all, but you're question is 'Should I get contacts to use the Rift?' and my answer would be 'No, get contacts to SEE!' The Rift is just an added benefit. 😉

I was thinking the exact same thing :lol:

ziphnor
Expert Protege
I would not get contacts just for the Rift. Instead, why don't you just buy a cheap pair of glasses that are small enough to fit inside the Rift itself? Just bring them back as far as you can and adjust the rift so that the lenses just about touch the glasses. I just use an old pair of glasses that happened to fit (my eyes had problems with the eyes not getting enough oxygen that prevents me from using contacts anymore).

I tried the C-cups, and i by far prefer to use glasses.
Windows 8.1 | i7 5820k@4.3Ghz | Asus Strix 980 GTX | Asus X99-A motherboard | 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 1TB Samsung 840 EV0 SSD | Corsair HX750i PSU

captaintrips
Explorer
"Someguitarist" wrote:

I treat tech toys and gadgets to be of greater importance than eyesight (or health or savings for that matter). I mean why spend all those years stuffing money in the bank when chances are I won't make it to retirement anyway :lol:

EAPidgeon
Honored Guest
"captaintrips" wrote:
Like many of us, my eye sight is crap. I often have to "squint" to read my monitor if I'm running any HD resolutions. anything farther than that, unless it's in big bold text, is unreadable. Normally, this isn't a problem (well, ok, it is), and I generally don't put much thought into getting glasses or contacts, though I've had both in the past (and they make a world of difference... at a price.)

However, Im trying to determine if I should go out of my way to get a new contact lens prescription specifically just for use with the Oculus Rift lenses. Right now, I use the C-cups... crystal clear, and I can use B-cups as well and their about as clear but with a little bit of a blur difference.

But I've been reading up that you really don't want to use C or B-cups unless you absolutely have to. That the best route is to get contacts, glasses, or laser surgery so you can use the A-cups. apparently it intensifies the sterecopic feeling and depth, and makes the world look "deeper" and things stand out more. And as you go down in lense cup lettering, this causes a decrease in stereoscopic visuals.

Just want opinions or someone to confirm this. I'd rather blow $250 on a delta six preorder (well, lets be honest, already have), or save it for the next rift or vRase headset protoypes, or put it towards Omni periphreals such as extra belts/shoes/whatever.... BUT, if it's worth the contact lenses and increased stereoscopic performance of the A-cups, guess I can put it down on a eye appointment and some contact lenses.

I actually went out Captain and got some contacts specifically for the A-Cups in addition because I was going on a snorkeling trip in the keys. Likewise, what you mentioned about the intensified stereoscopic feeling and depth when using the rift, from my perception was entirely the case, however I felt it was more being caused because of the brain interpreting it's more real because of the increased FOV. But regardless I can over here say it does improve rifting decently.

SilmarilSE
Honored Guest
I've worn glasses for years, but as I had to get new ones last week, I spoke to the optician about getting contact lenses specifically for Rifting. I'm not going to replace my glasses with them permanently, but after discussions I'm just going to get a supply of disposable ones I can use if I want to Rift for more than a few minutes.

At 80 pence a pair, I didn't think it was that bad a cost.

Now I've just got to wait for my Rift to arrive (oh please be next week)

Vriend
Honored Guest
"captaintrips" wrote:

Where I am from ( Netherlands) you can buy at local drug stores throw away lenses for just a few bucks...perhaps is that an option??

This is how they look