cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to mirror audio on two devices (soundcard and Rift)

maxpare79
Trustee
Ok here is a little guide on how to mirror your audio on two different devices (soundcard and Rift)

The trick is to put your sound card (in my case Realtek) as the default device, if you have the Rift set at the default device and try to mirror it to the soundcard it doesn't work, only the soundcard mirrored to the Rift. Don't ask me why...

So here you go

First open up your sound options and set your soundcard as the default device:
c70xq1il6la7.jpg

In my case it's the Realtek High Definition Audio

Then go to the Recording tab and right-click...Select Show Disabled Device. This will bring up the Stereo Mixer. Right-Click on it and enable it.

rw43bpmx7ta0.jpg
8whcno7mytc9.jpg

Once it is enable, go into the Properties of the stereo Mixer

z6giflau3w2j.jpg

In the Properties, go to the Listen tab and then check the box "Listen to this device" .
Under the "Playback through this device, select Headphones (Rift Audio) from the drop down menu

fv130d3w754i.jpg

Finally on the Advanced tab uncheck Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device

94l2myyqbomq.jpg

And that's it you are all set, you will now hear the sound from your speakers and your Rift!

You can adjust the listening levels in the Levels tab of the Stereo Mix properties, but raising the volume of your PC will still raise the volume of your Rift, you can just create a volume offset between the 2 devices.

It does create a tiny lag between the two device but the sound is still in sync with the image so don't worry about it

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
41 REPLIES 41

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Thank you for this!

The Vive has a 'mirror to device' option that is done by selecting your alternate output in a dropdown (one click).  Oculus needs to provide an option in the Oculus Home settings for this, as it will be common when people want to listen to what the person in the HMD is listening to (VR parties and whatnot).
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

maxpare79
Trustee
Not a problem I would try to make a sticky out of it with my mod powers lol but I can't find how.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would running through a standard sound card and mirroring to the rift cause problems with the oculus positional audio system built into the rift ? Is the positional audio hardware based in the DAC of the HMD or is it just a software trick in the SDK. Oculus did say they would look into a mirror function "soon"

maxpare79
Trustee
Didn't noticed it...I mostly play Elite and Minecraft these days, so maybe these are not the games that have a lot of positional audio

RobHermans
Superstar
Excellent work @maxpare79 , thank you!

maxpare79 said:

Not a problem I would try to make a sticky out of it with my mod powers lol but I can't find how.

You mean you guys didn't undergo extensive training in how to do that sort of thing? 😮 😄 

maxpare79
Trustee
I think some powers are still left in the hand of our mighty god @cybereality

RobHermans
Superstar
Ok, he did say he doesn't like too many stickies, true. 🙂

RobHermans
Superstar
So would you say that this way of mirroring the sound is preferable to using other software like Voicemeeter? I don't want to do too much fiddling, but I also don't want to install software unless it's really needed, you know?

maxpare79
Trustee
Never tried Voicemeeter...Just did it inside windows, because I don't like adding software when I don't really need to as well...
This works flawlessly for me so I haven't done any more digging.