Can you leave the rift plugged in? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can you leave the rift plugged in?

ennogsennogs Posts: 230
Art3mis
It is a bit of pain having to unplug and then plug the rift back in all the time.  I have noticed the rift itself only comes on once you put put the rift on.

Am I ok to leave the rift plugged in all the time?   Will the headset and sensor only draw power once I put the headset on? 

Comments

• CemeteryhoundCemeteryhound Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I leave mine plugged in and no issues, but you can always unplug on the headset end of the device, you just have to remove the foam covering.
  • ennogsennogs Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    Thanks
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 254
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2016
    I leave my plugged in, but I stop the OVR service,

This prevents it auto-opening Oculus Home when I don't want it to.
    Also, it stop's the sensor from working too (turning on the HMD), which means it's doesn't get warm when not in use... It also doesn't spam my windows log file every 30 seconds.

Two bat files on my desktop, which I run as admin

Oculus On.bat   
    net start OVRService

Oculus Off.bat   
    net stop OVRService
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • ennogsennogs Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    Thanks
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    It's completely fine (and is in fact the intended use) that the Rift be left plugged in. 
    It is designed with usability in mind, and the entire point is so that when you want to enter into VR, all you hve to do is pick it up and put it on.  

“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • jdenneyjdenney Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    I have the habit of always shutting down my gaming pc when not in use.
  • korgen63korgen63 Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    You can use a single bat file to set on and off the OVRService (run as admin):

sc config OVRService start= demand
    net start "OVRService"
    if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    jdenney said:
    I have the habit of always shutting down my gaming pc when not in use.
    I used to do the same when I was younger, but these days all you need is a good sleep profile and your PC will draw next to nothing for power and can be started up within seconds (assuming you have an SSD).
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,067
    3Jane
    awesome tips, thanks.