New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Disable "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home?

Comments

• MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 376
    Trinity
    edited May 2016

@jon 
    I5 3570k water cooled overclock set to 5 ghz. I have a 980ti and have no issues playing every VR game on maxed out settings. My system plays flawlessly. I could easily upgrade to the newest chips but my I5 3570k chip destroys the new chips at their normal clock settings. My single core mark is considerably faster than the 4590. So yeah, I would love it if we could remove this notification. At least do what the Vive does and provide an actual VR test that actually tests something and doesn't just read from a list. Even The Nvidia Experience on my pc says I pass all the VR tests.
    pccase.JPG 1009.4K
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    @Maxxgold 

That's a purty wall mount.  I've considered that very case but was concerned about dust coming in through the top.  How often do you clean it (it looks very tidy there).
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 376
    Trinity
    edited May 2016
    jon said:
    @Maxxgold 

That's a purty wall mount.  I've considered that very case but was concerned about dust coming in through the top.  How often do you clean it (it looks very tidy there).
    Thank you! I have a small air compressor that I use maybe once every 2 months to blow out all of the dust. It's no worse than any of my cased PC's as far as the dust goes. The cabling is actually better now. I have all the cables wrapped so it looks tighter. This is an older pic. The wall mount is awesome. I love having my PC mounted on the wall. The case is awesome. I would definitely recommend it. My PC should definitely not have to see a message saying it is not VR Ready : )
  • UsernameNotFoundUsernameNotFound Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    @Maxxgold ;

I love that case, it's been on my wish list for a while... Just waiting for a CPU that is worth upgrading from my i7 2600K, which can pass the 5.25GHz mark if I want:
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1672808

Unfortunately, our CPUs are not good enough for Oculus Rift, tho! LOL

• RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    MeioJo said:
    It seems they have removed that thread... now I'm curious...
    @BitVar has created a replacement thread:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37165/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message

Thanks, @BitVar B)
  • BitVarBitVar Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    So, when is the option to switch that freaking annoying msg off coming out?
    What is Oculus oficial disposition on that?

Nobody with an overclocked CPU/GPU is fool enough to buy a new computer because of that silly msg... I hope they realize that! lol
    You don't really need an option. Just use this https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37165/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message?new=1

I kinda doubt they'll add in such a feature anytime soon. They're focused more on selling, evangelizing and building up their SDK support.

Brain Burst
    MeioJo said:
    A useful post by @BitVar to remedy this:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36677/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message

I haven't tested it myself, as I have an above minimum CPU. Looks super legit though. B)
    It seems they have removed that thread... now I'm curious.

And I'm also a +1 for allowing us to remove the message.. oh please.. oh please...

Why do we even need to ask? Do they intend to make this their stance?
    I didn't remove the thread. I tried to edit it to update my pastes because the old paste sites vanished from age. When I edited the post it deleted it somehow? Probably user error. Here is the new version: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37165/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message?new=1

This is a fix just for the CPU tho. I haven't had a need to look into the GPU, but the same concepts should work for it.
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       X 990  @ 3.47GHz (6 Core) - Gives the same warning!!
    Brain Burst
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       X 990  @ 3.47GHz (6 Core) - Gives the same warning!!
    Then try the script in https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37165/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message?new=1 and you won't get it anymore.
  • pluto9pluto9 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    +1. This should be a simple UI fix. I don't understand why this takes forever.
  • DeanONHDeanONH Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I also want a configuration option to disable the minimum requirements warnings.
  • highporthighport Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    ToxicAdam said:
    Yes, Make a toggle off in the settings please!

3770K here with an 980ti

Still no response on this?

I have the same 3770k and 980ti, no issues at all. Even able to turn up pixel density without issue. Can I stop getting harangued every time I start using my Rift?
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Project Cars need a good cpu and with a 3770K Im sure you get struggle with it, I have i7 3820 @ 4,2 Ghz with a 1080 and got some trouble with that bad optimized game.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    Brain Burst
    highport said:
    ToxicAdam said:
    Yes, Make a toggle off in the settings please!

3770K here with an 980ti

Still no response on this?

I have the same 3770k and 980ti, no issues at all. Even able to turn up pixel density without issue. Can I stop getting harangued every time I start using my Rift?
    You have the same specs as me. Use my fix if you want to stop seeing the message: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37165/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message?new=1

• UsernameNotFoundUsernameNotFound Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    pluto9 said:
    +1. This should be a simple UI fix. I don't understand why this takes forever.
    I bet there are legal aspects... They might have "sold" it as a "brilliant idea" to help the hardware partners to sell their "great" packages/bundles! lol

• I have an i5 3570k @ 3.8mhz and a gtx 780. Ive just ordered a gtx 1080, its annoying that when it gets here i will still have the message because of my cpu :(
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    I have an i5 3570k @ 3.8mhz and a gtx 780. Ive just ordered a gtx 1080, its annoying that when it gets here i will still have the message because of my cpu :(
    Did you read the previous posts in the thread? @BitVar posted a fix for this:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37165/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message

I haven't tested it myself, as my CPU is above the minimum spec, but I have no doubt that his solution works.. no one has posted otherwise. B)
    (thanks again, @BitVar!)
  • RuinedRuined Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2016
    I would like this fix also.  I have a i7-3930K overclocked to 4.2GHz and a GTX1080.  I get the maximum score of "11" on the S TEAMVR benchmark with 0 frames under 90fps, 0 frames limited CPU.  All games run spectacular.

But wow, that annoying message in Oculus Home remains due to my "3.2ghz" CPU.  Though it works, I don't want to change my CPU type in registry.  And I'm not buying a new CPU until Skylake-E hits.   I just want oculus to make this message an option you can disable in the UI!
  • AnnieCAnnieC Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    I have a GTX 970(OC) and i5 4460 which is 3.2 GHz and the recommended CPU is 3.3 GHz. I get this annoying message all the time that my system is not good enough(and that the DK2 is not supported). The CPU is only slightly slower and the GPU is slightly faster than the recommended so my machine is fast enough for Oculus compatible games according to all benchmarks and my own experience(with the DK2 so far).

I think this hardware check is just too simplified to work correctly and the message without the option to disable it is very annoying.

Oculus should create their own benchmark which could run at the beginning of the Rift setup and it could determine if the system is performing fast enough for the Rift or not. And if it's not fast enough the user should still have the option to continue after acknowledging the fact that the system is too slow to run every VR game as some games are not so performance hungry.

It really seems that Oculus tries to overly simplify the software and its development leaving out options which could be easily added like disabling annoying messages, auto-update or the Oculus service.
  • scornflakescornflake Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here - yes, older machine, but a) it works, so b) why should I run off and spend $+600 on pointless upgrades? Let me check a "Yep, I know, I might get sick and fall over" checkbox, and have that message GO. AWAY.
  • FalkweissFalkweiss Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The message is annoying and constantly reminds me that my CPU is way too slow :wink:
    I am confused about the USB3 for the sensor though. I am using the sensor in a USB2 port (cause it won't work in any of my USB3 though the Headset does work well) and surprisingly I got no flicker, no stuttering, no slow headtracking recognition at all (at least not in my perception).

This: "Let me check a "Yep, I know, I might get sick and fall over" checkbox, and have that message GO. AWAY." :D
  • +1 for a preference to disable this message
  • 3dvrmonster3dvrmonster Posts: 136
    Hiro Protagonist
    +1 here too for a check box to permanently disable the pop up. It is like hey come check out the rift, it says my computer sucks but it really dosen't....
    Intel Core i7-3820 [email protected] 4.7 Ghz (Liquid-cooled) on ASUS Sabertooth X79 mobo
    16 GB Quad Channel DDR 3 1600 Mhz with 250 gb SSD
    GTX 980
    working with DK2 to make something great!
  • iczerjonesiczerjones Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, there should absolutely be a switch somewhere to override - or better still, just integrate a little linpack or other open CPU bench tool into said switch, have it do a quick smoke test to confirm, and if the chip in question passes the minimum mark send the CPU ID info to Oculus for inclusion and allow the local override.  This way, they can continually expand their whitelist without having to keep up with new technology releases.  (and the override would be unnecessary on the next Home release due to the inclusion of that CPU)

The only caveat to such a check would be overclocked systems which could be easily overlooked by simply not adding an overclocked chip to the whitelist, but allowing the check to activate the usage of the toggle for that specific user. (or just do some simple math to confirm that the MIPS/FLOPS would still pass scaled down to stock speeds, since almost all chips report their stock MHz in the CPU ID)

As for other computer components, I would imagine a similar approach could be used for GPUs, though I'm not sure how necessary that would be given the limited number released over time.  This isn't a hard problem to solve.  If Oculus put out a call to develop a real fix for ongoing hardware qual, I'd be happy to help.
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2016
    I got tired of waiting for Oculus to comment on this, much less figure out how to code a toggle switch to disable the warning message, so I went ahead and scheduled the task discussed here:

Looking through the two batch files and xml, it looked fine, so I ran it.  It works as advertised.

So, to summarize, using Rift on sufficiently fast CPUs that aren't in Oculus' arbitrary supported list of CPUs without constantly being badgered by a warning message requires editing your registry and restarting your Oculus services on every log in by using third party batch files uploaded by a community member.

Oculus, you should be ashamed.
    Brain Burst
    jon said:
    I got tired of waiting for Oculus to comment on this, much less figure out how to code a toggle switch to disable the warning message, so I went ahead and scheduled the task discussed here:

Looking through the two batch files and xml, it looked fine, so I ran it.  It works as advertised.

So, to summarize, using Rift on sufficiently fast CPUs that aren't in Oculus' arbitrary supported list of CPUs without constantly being badgered by a warning message requires editing your registry and restarting your Oculus services on every log in by using third party batch files uploaded by a community member.

Oculus, you should be ashamed.
    Cool to hear it fixed your problem. Posting that in the other thread would help people trust the scripts more. They are very benign and it is a good fix to a highly annoying problem in the software.
  • kayfoxkayfox Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Agree, please may this an option, sick of seeing it!
  • DaigojiGaiDaigojiGai Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    We are in July and this still isn't resolved?
  • DeanONHDeanONH Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Such a simple UI fix to disable warning.  It should have been in yesterday's Oculus Rift 1.6 update.
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    Yes, I have two Haswell quad-core, 980M, 16GM, gaming laptops and they work great with the CV1 and I am tired of this stupid warning.