cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Touch at E3 2016: Better controllers, better experience, Still not Perfect (Ars Technica)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Quote:

"Oculus has subtly tweaked its Touch controllers, making for a much smoother experience. But as we found out at E3 2016, they're still not perfect."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADi_zr8WuI

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
20 REPLIES 20

ahhh... I kind of want to watch the link... and I kind of don't want to get excited if the wait is much longer... ok i'll watch

edit  ...and I got excited

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

ahhh... I kind of want to watch the link... and I kind of don't want to get excited if the wait is much longer... ok i'll watch

edit  ...and I got excited

Quick, pass that man the kleenex.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

it's ok... I thought of Palmer at the last moment

jon
Heroic Explorer

Ok thanks. Seems like an interesting choice considering when using a controller we rest our thumbs on the thumbsticks when not in use.

Unless I'm mistaken, the top of the analog thumbstick is capacitive touch sensitive, so there may well be per-game decisions that react to whether or not your thumb is resting on the thumbstick.  As an example, giving a 'thumbs up' is supposedly as easy as lifting your thumb off the thumbstick where supported.

An yes, I typed 'thumb'  in this post more often than I have typed 'thumb' in the previous several years.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Cool! You lift your thumb off the thumbstick to press the "change weapon to blaster" button - your character in-game gives a thumbs-up and the guy thinks "OK - he's friendly, I don't need to shoot him" and next second he's toast!
I like it! Could be DayZ all over again... 🙂

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
On a vaguely related note, am I the only one who hates pushing in the analog sticks on a dual-shock controller?  Hate it.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

jon
Heroic Explorer

Zoomie said:

On a vaguely related note, am I the only one who hates pushing in the analog sticks on a dual-shock controller?  Hate it.

It depends on the implementation.

If what you're pushing the analog down for is jumping, it's terrible...
running, slightly less so...
reload, perhaps that's ok...
toggling some sort of IR or 'bat' vision, sure.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

Zoomie said:

Hate is a strong word, if you truly hate analog sticks you are truly a disturbed person :lol:

mbze430
Rising Star
How much more time will they have from now to "fall 2016" to make any more changes?  If there are any changes needs to be made, it has to be minor.  Full production run from over-seas will take 1-2 months to ramp for a Fall 2016 release.

Watch them push Winter 2016
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

mbze430 said:

How much more time will they have from now to "fall 2016" to make any more changes?  If there are any changes needs to be made, it has to be minor.  Full production run from over-seas will take 1-2 months to ramp for a Fall 2016 release.

Watch them push Winter 2016

There is no Fall 2016 release, so if they release in Winter it won't have been pushed, it will still be on time. The release date is still second half of 2016, with more communication about it coming in the fall.