New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Touch at E3 2016: Better controllers, better experience, Still not Perfect (Ars Technica)

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
edited June 2016 in General
Quote:

"Oculus has subtly tweaked its Touch controllers, making for a much smoother experience. But as we found out at E3 2016, they're still not perfect."

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
Tagged:

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Seems like they didn't do a lot of research as they thought the controller pads were speakers but apart from that little bit it great to hear such high praise! 

Really can't wait for touch!
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
    Excuse my "lack of research" but what is the function of the controller pads you speak of?

• MeioJoMeioJo Posts: 167
    E3 2016 and still not the final controllers...
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Excuse my "lack of research" but what is the function of the controller pads you speak of?
    From what i have gathered it's just where you rest your thump and to give textile feedback so you know where your finger is in relation to the buttons.
    edited June 2016
    Ok thanks. Seems like an interesting choice considering when using a controller we rest our thumbs on the thumbsticks when not in use.

Neo
    edited June 2016
    Ok thanks. Seems like an interesting choice considering when using a controller we rest our thumbs on the thumbsticks when not in use.
    Yeah, it's actually a nice little touch (no pun intended), i can imagine it making things a little easier. I am not sure i am correct though, it's just what i read others say. There could be some other function to it.

I really think they have a great design for Touch. Being able to relax your hand without dropping controllers is cool. Looking much forward to trying them. When they finally release them.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,951 Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks for the link. Can't watch it just now, but I'm itching to hear more recent info on Touch!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Yeah I'm interested to know how useful they will actually be but that seems like a fact we will only find out after prolonged use. However I can't imagen it adds much extra to the cost so better to have it than not! :smiley: 
  • Map63VetteMap63Vette Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    I got the impression there might be a proximity sensor under those rest pads so you could "pinch" something with your thumb, but maybe not.  I think the design has changed a few times over the many variations.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,228 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016

ahhh... I kind of want to watch the link... and I kind of don't want to get excited if the wait is much longer... ok i'll watch

edit  ...and I got excited

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    edited June 2016

ahhh... I kind of want to watch the link... and I kind of don't want to get excited if the wait is much longer... ok i'll watch

edit  ...and I got excited

Quick, pass that man the kleenex.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,228 Volunteer Moderator
    it's ok... I thought of Palmer at the last moment
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6

Unless I'm mistaken, the top of the analog thumbstick is capacitive touch sensitive, so there may well be per-game decisions that react to whether or not your thumb is resting on the thumbstick.  As an example, giving a 'thumbs up' is supposedly as easy as lifting your thumb off the thumbstick where supported.

An yes, I typed 'thumb'  in this post more often than I have typed 'thumb' in the previous several years.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    Cool! You lift your thumb off the thumbstick to press the "change weapon to blaster" button - your character in-game gives a thumbs-up and the guy thinks "OK - he's friendly, I don't need to shoot him" and next second he's toast!
    I like it! Could be DayZ all over again... :)

• ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    On a vaguely related note, am I the only one who hates pushing in the analog sticks on a dual-shock controller?  Hate it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2016
    Zoomie said:
    On a vaguely related note, am I the only one who hates pushing in the analog sticks on a dual-shock controller?  Hate it.

It depends on the implementation.

If what you're pushing the analog down for is jumping, it's terrible...
    running, slightly less so...
    reload, perhaps that's ok...
    toggling some sort of IR or 'bat' vision, sure.

Neo
    Zoomie said:
    Hate is a strong word, if you truly hate analog sticks you are truly a disturbed person :lol:
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    How much more time will they have from now to "fall 2016" to make any more changes?  If there are any changes needs to be made, it has to be minor.  Full production run from over-seas will take 1-2 months to ramp for a Fall 2016 release.

Watch them push Winter 2016
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    mbze430 said:
    How much more time will they have from now to "fall 2016" to make any more changes?  If there are any changes needs to be made, it has to be minor.  Full production run from over-seas will take 1-2 months to ramp for a Fall 2016 release.

Watch them push Winter 2016
    There is no Fall 2016 release, so if they release in Winter it won't have been pushed, it will still be on time. The release date is still second half of 2016, with more communication about it coming in the fall.
  • twisteklabstwisteklabs Posts: 416
    Trinity
    The tracking cameras are probably not going to change, so those must be already in production for warehouse storage (to avoid a possible equipment delay).  I am waiting to hear about FCC approval of the new design as a mile marker for the next step on the road to Touch controller GA.
    CPU: Intel i5-4690K
    Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR
    Ram: 8GB 1600MHz
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC