cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I debugged the Rift blank screen/yellow light problem - with temporary fix

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
Problem:
When I start up my computer and try to use my Oculus Rift CV1, the headset has sound but the screen remains blank (yellow light).

My setup:
I have R9 290 graphics card connected to 2 monitors & Oculus Rift. The rest is win10, i5 4690k, etc..

Debugging:
I tried disconnecting the hdmi rift cable, usb3 cable, add extension etc. Nothing seemed to work but by chance, in my previous trial, adding the HDMI extension seemed to work. But that is not the reason for the fix, so it failed yet again the next time I started my computer and tried on Oculus Rift.

Solution:
Oculus Runtime has a problem with multi monitor setups. It does not want to recognize the Rift CV1 headset if the second monitor is enabled (Extend your desktop). So, the temporary fix is to enable desktop only on Screen 1, then restart your PC.
On restart, you will find your Rift CV1 usable (white light on headset) again.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
5 REPLIES 5

RobHermans
Superstar
Well done, good find!
I wonder if the problem could be replicated by someone with more than 1 monitor and a similar GPU? If so, that's great information for the devs. B)

Later tonight I will see how my 980ti handles multiple monitors...if I can find an HDMI→DVI adapter so I can plug my TV in.

dreimer1986
Adventurer
Hm, I wonder what I will experience here tomorrow... 24" HD screen as primary and 40" TV as secondary on my 980 GTX... ^^

Percy1983
Superstar
I have a similar setup, 3570k and 2x 290x and of course dual monitors.

As it is I only switch the second monitor on for video editing or watching TV so its never been on with the rift.

Current encoding videos so can't restart but will try and replicate the problem tomorrow.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
I am doing this every time I want to play with the rift instead of use 2 monitor setup to practice with Unity5.

1. Enable desktop only on Screen 1
2. Restart your PC.

On restart, Rift CV1 usable (white light on headset) again.

All other steps: disabling monitor without PC restart, restarting Oculus home, do not seem to work on their own.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

killerbee04x
Honored Guest
you can't use HMDI on the 2080s. its a single channel that splits off into 3 ports or more on the back of the card. you can't have more then one driver for different videos. OCULUS RIFT bought too many $200 cables that arn't compible. what do they do.. they make us pay for it instead of offering a Type C cable. they don't care. they really don't. they should fire who ever and take the hit. all you can do is buy a $60-$90 converter after being force to pay for the $200 cable. its not a software issue. Nvidia has stated the C-type port Is for virtual link. not the usb. you'll bottle neck you GPU buy using a USB and demanding a lot of graphics. that cause the software to become unstable as stated by Nvidia. Oculus has to abide by its agreement to use the Type C connection. Nvidia will not release updates for usb 3.0,3.1,2.0 or hdmi for VR. Oculus has to follow that stated agreement. IF YOU DON'T USE THE TYPE C PORT FOR VR YOU VOID YOUR WARRANTY.