cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Guide For The New Forum

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hey everyone!

I realize change can be difficult, so I want to share a quick guide on how to use the new forum.

First off, if you want to switch between the different forum areas, click the drop-down menu on the upper right-hand side of the forum. It will say "Community" with a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and choose "Developer", for example, to go to the developer section. This same menu is also used for the different international language forums.

To create a new discussion topic, click the "New Discussion" menu button on the top right. Be sure to pick a category it should go in, for example "General" or "Off-Topic". Enter the topic title and the post content. And click "Post Discussion".

To comment on a post, just use the comment box area at the bottom of the thread. You can also interact with posts in varying ways with reactions. You can, for example, "Like" a post to show your appreciation. There was a "Dislike" button, but people were abusing it so it was removed. If you see a post that is spam or abusive, please private message one of the moderators with a link to the comment.

Your post may be flagged as spam by the automatic spam filter, and require moderator approval. If this happens, please don't just double-post the same message over and over (these will be detected as spam as well). Just wait a few hours for a mod to approve the post, or send me a PM and I can do it for you. I can also verify your account, so you are exempt from the spam filter in the future.

Editing your own posts is possible. Just click the gear icon on the black bar above the post and choose "edit". Please keep in mind that deleting your own posts is not currently supported. If you wish to delete a post, you can edit it and put in "[deleted]" or something like that, or send me a PM and I can delete it for you.

New topics you have not visited will be in bold title text in the discussion list. If you click them, they will become unbold and have a slightly darker background. If new posts are made, they will become lighter with bold text again. There is also a small yellow bubble with a number to show you how many new posts were made since you last visited the thread. After clicking you will be taken to the newest post available.

You can "bookmark" any discussion thread by clicking the orange star icon on the right-hand side. This will give you forum notifications when people respond to that topic. It will also give you access to your bookmarks on the top right header if you have a few particular discussions you wish to follow.

To post YouTube videos, you don't have to do anything special. Just post the YouTube video URL in your post on it's own line and it will automatically become an embedded video. Since the forum uses the HTML5 YouTube player, videos will even work on your mobile device.

Have a link to a particular Twitter post? Just post the URL on it's own line and it will embed the tweet. People can see the images or interact with the tweet directly inside the forum.

If you wish to post an image, you can click the paper document icon above the post area and either paste the image URL or upload a file from your computer. It will be inserted into the post and resized to correctly fill the space. You can also drag and drop images directly from a file explorer window into the forum post box. It also seems to work if you are on a website (like Google image search) and right-click, do copy image, then paste it into the post area.

We now have a Badge system. These are sort of like achievements you gain by interacting on the forum. For example, making a certain amount of posts, getting a certain amount of Likes, adding an avatar image, etc. You may also notice the star icons next to your name. There are currently 5 Levels that you can unlock based on how much you interact on the forum. Everyone starts at Level 1 and you can move up the ranks just by interacting with people in the community. Check the Activity tab on the top of the forum to see how you stack up in the leaderboard.

You can also add tags to posts near the bottom of the post area. Use popular tags or create your own.

RSS feeds are available on a per category basis. Click "Categories" on the top menu, then click the orange wave icon on the right next to the category you wish to follow. Separate from RSS, you can also mark an entire category as "read" by clicking the gear icon on the right and choosing "Mark Read". The "Hide" functionality does not appear to be working currently, but I can look into it.

Please feel free to ask any questions here in this thread if you are confused or need help with this new forum. Thanks again for your continued support of Oculus and the VR community and hope you have a good time.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
160 REPLIES 160

Hi @gluebag, mods can delete posts from a thread if requested, move threads to different areas or merge duplicate threads plus a couple other things

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hmmm but can mods move mountains?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Faith can move mountains.. she's a big girl

cybereality
Grand Champion
@geekmaster when you are on the search page, click the down arrow for more options. You can search for just a particular user (among other things).

dt36tu4dav5d.png
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

geekmaster
Protege
@cybereality: What search PAGE? I only see a search BOX in the upper right corner. And I just used that search box to search for "search page" and it found nothing like what you showed above. And besides, my comment was about search RESULTS. Where can I selelct how many lines of each result to display in that list? The first line is relatively useless, considering how many posts I have made here, ESPECIALLY when that is all it finds when I select an author. This new site layout not only hurts my eyes (literally too stark contrast, and probably horrible "god-rays" in a CV1 as a result) but it is confusing -- stuff I relied on is missing, and so many broken links to previously local content pollute my posts. It really bothers me enough to push me away. Has nobody else dared to say such things before? I am lost in this place now that I am interested again (lost me with no DK2, but back with my CV1). But really, I cannot find REAL useful content, buried until all the swag-seeker posts. Yeah, I know, unintended consequences, as a once great forum becomes candy crush saga... Perhaps I will figure out some trick to help me navigate the wilderness of overgrowth on my once familar playground that was the Oculus Rift forum, or maybe not... Where do I start again?

geekmaster
Protege
Where is the good stuff in this forum? Were are the real developers? Where are the bright ideas? How do I navigate here? Where is the reset button?

cybereality
Grand Champion
The search page is here.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/search

There is a developer section of the forum. Click the drop-down menu on the right side that says "Community". The down arrow will let you switch to "Developers". 

Lots of people complained about the new forum, just like they complain about everything else. Most people learned to like it. It's much better now, it just takes a second to get used to it.

geekmaster
Protege
Like the new Win10 everybody is going to get later this summer. I get betas pushed daily to my machine, but suddenly it was an all new start menu. My first throught was "Woah, where is everything?" but a half minute later is was "Ya know, I like this better!". I hope that is the same here, but I am still in the bewilderment phase.This place ain't what I leaned in my bones when I made all those posts, ya know?

The hard part of the new Win10 is figuring out workarounds for the built-in ubuntu bash shell. No kernel, so ya just gotta work around it. I did get around the "no binfmt kernel module" (I like running mixed architectures in my machine), but it (and other things) need some clever hackery (and BTW, I am launching a kernel there now too). Y'all are gonna love the new Win10. Something in it for everyone (including some linux folks). Hope the Rift CV1 works on it, but certainly, it must...

Now I just need to figure out workarounds for all the stuff I relied on that ain't where it used to be, here in this forum.

bjonz0226
Honored Guest
Why does my galaxy s7 get so hot while playing my gear vr

andaduzz
Honored Guest