cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRServiceLauncher Spamming the event log when HMD is unplugged/plugged

Lhun
Explorer
So far, since the 9th, there's 2313 error entries in the event log. It's also possible that this is causing a bug with windows 10 sleep mode. I've set OVRService to manual for now, but this isn't a fix... The log is flooded, constantly, and this is a really bad thing for people with SSDS. 

Any reason why this is occurring? 

http://imgur.com/pgTHbnd

23 REPLIES 23

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
I submitted a support ticket and sent them my error logs and got the standard "thanks for showing us, we will fix it soon..." message and nothing more.  There was an Oculus Home update but it didn't fix this issue.  I will keep an eye out though.  Oculus processes shouldn't be running when the HMD isn't in use, period, much less spamming errors to the error log every 30 seconds.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

marc0
Honored Guest
Same issue here, including PC freeze when starting Oculus client

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Oculus processes shouldn't be running when the HMD isn't in use, period, much less spamming errors to the error log every 30 seconds.

How is the oculus process supposed to know if the HMD is in use if it doesn't poll for the HMD to see if it's in use?

Not really worth putting an error into the event log,. But not really much more than an annoyance Unless you're wanting to go back months through the event it doesn't matter much if it's adding a lot of events and pushing older ones off the end of the log sooner.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar

TwoHedWlf said:

Oculus processes shouldn't be running when the HMD isn't in use, period, much less spamming errors to the error log every 30 seconds.

How is the oculus process supposed to know if the HMD is in use if it doesn't poll for the HMD to see if it's in use?

Not really worth putting an error into the event log,. But not really much more than an annoyance Unless you're wanting to go back months through the event it doesn't matter much if it's adding a lot of events and pushing older ones off the end of the log sooner.

Easy, make it a push event from the HMD instead of a pull event that fires every thirty seconds.  There is absolutely no reason any OVR processes should be running if the HMD isn't in use.  My PC is used for many other things besides the Rift, such as the Vive and regular PC gaming.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Deaconnfrost
Protege

EASYJABBA said:

Ok where is the data being sent too? The data is being sent to Facebook servers? Ok what the hell is being sent to Facebook? My Data!!!

This is like being angry that testflight has to call apple servers to return your data. People have beat up the information being transferred at length and there is no personal identification information being transmitted. Hardware logging and software logging is commonplace.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have no difficulty at all in stopping the Oculus runtime, either by terminating the process or through the Services panel.  I have waited several minutes and refreshed, and it doesn't come back for me.

And is this "account" you are referring to called "NT Service\OVRService" or "NT Service\OVRLibraryService"?  That's a "virtual account" created by Windows - in fact every version of Windows since Vista always has one behind the scenes for every service, even services that never run or services that are configured to run as other users.  These aren't real accounts, they are security principals; Microsoft creates them to allow simple use of service accounts.

It's actually much better for admins if a service runs as a service account rather than as the generic "system" or "local service" accounts, since if the service runs as its own service account, you can control its access much more granularly.  You can actually set this up for any service on your machine, even those that typically install themselves as "system".  For example, if I didn't want the iTunes service to have access to a directory, I could change it to use its virtual service account - NT Service\iPod Service - and then forbid directory access to that service account.

I definitely don't see any new actual accounts on my machine.

Deaconnfrost
Protege

EASYJABBA said:

Hello,

With all due respect I'm not buying it, the Oculus server processes refuse to end even if you manually end the process it starts back up immediately, there isn't any I repeat any process which acts like this I can literally end any process I wish. The reason why you ask? Is because oculus driver places an account with Admin rights to your unit.

Disgusting tactics Oculus you lost another customer.  

I think you're frustration is getting the better of you in this case, you can stop the process with no issue. 

The previous comment by rankinsect is spot on. I'm starting and stopping the process right now with no issue.

Check out this link for more detailed research: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4da3r5/oculus_home_network_traffic_detailed_analysis/

Hope this helps in some way.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
This looks to be fixed in the latest Oculus Home update.

Huambo81a
Protege
Not fixed for me . . i have 11,500 errors since Tuesday

Anonymous
Not applicable
The nearly constant OVRServiceLauncher errors are fixed - I haven't logged any since 6/23.

There are still errors the Oculus can log - most notably when the HMD is disconnected - but those are not the same issue as originally reported.